Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Looking to improve my 2wd

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Krasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
Krasus22's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to improve my 2wd

I have a 2005 SR5 Pre-Runner 2wd and I am looking for the most efficient way to improve my off roading. I do not plan on rock crawling or driving in the snow or any other extremes. But I do enjoy some of the average trails and riding in the desert. There has been times where having rear lockers/lsd/4x4 would have been helpful. For the most part, I click the emergency brake in about 2-4 clicks and I usually can get my self going.

So I am looking for any recommendations on how to improve my truck effectively without being out of this world expensive.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
i have a question about you talking about your emergency brake, what do you do?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
a rear locker is pretty much your only option
Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
i have a question about you talking about your emergency brake, what do you do?
I think hes saying when hes stuck he gives it hell and repeativly uses the ebrake at the same time so it rocks him out
Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ohh okay haha
Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Krasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura about

haha yeah pretty much rocking myself out. Isn't very fun :-) But I do my best to avoid such situations.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
lol i never thought of that but i think ill stick to bringing out the tow rope when im stuck rather than that
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
a rear locker is pretty much your only option
How difficult/expensive will it be to install a rear locker? Sorry for all the questions, trying to learn. Been reading lick crazy on TW and I am in love with it. I would love to join in on some of the meet ups but I am afraid I wont be able to hang with some of the truck since I only have 2wd.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasus22 View Post
haha yeah pretty much rocking myself out. Isn't very fun :-) But I do my best to avoid such situations.
Yeah man i got an 07 prerunner too and everytime i let my girlfriend drive I always end up having to do that
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
lol i never thought of that but i think ill stick to bringing out the tow rope when im stuck rather than that
Yeah the tow rope is by far the best option, but I have been stuck a couple of times in the desert with just my truck, which is dumb to be alone, and I had to find other means.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Super Mod!

Quote:
How difficult/expensive will it be to install a rear locker? Sorry for all the questions, trying to learn. Been reading lick crazy on TW and I am in love with it. I would love to join in on some of the meet ups but I am afraid I wont be able to hang with some of the truck since I only have 2wd.
probb about 500$ for a rear axle with some mileage? and you have a pre-runner. I thought it came with a e-locker? mine did but i got the offroad package i dont know if that makes a differnce
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
probb about 500$ for a rear axle with some mileage? and you have a pre-runner. I thought it came with a e-locker? mine did but i got the offroad package i dont know if that makes a differnce
Any recommendations where to look and what to look out for. Def don't know how to install/don't have the tools to install. I would imagine labor would cost be a good amount. And I am also a little new to rear lockers. If I do get this installed, I would want to install a switch to turn this on/off?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Super Mod!

Quote:
Any recommendations where to look and what to look out for. Def don't know how to install/don't have the tools to install. I would imagine labor would cost be a good amount. And I am also a little new to rear lockers. If I do get this installed, I would want to install a switch to turn this on/off?
What goes downn if I were you i'd ask around at automotive place fora price estimation if you cant do it, and yeah if you look at your fog light button on the left of your steering wheel its the same button just one over that say RR diff lock. If i were you id look around TW to buy the axle or online then have someone install it
Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
How much are you looking to spend man?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #15

Quote:
What goes downn if I were you i'd ask around at automotive place fora price estimation if you cant do it, and yeah if you look at your fog light button on the left of your steering wheel its the same button just one over that say RR diff lock. If i were you id look around TW to buy the axle or online then have someone install it
sweet! Thank you very much for your help! So just to make sure I got this right: I need to find a rear differential that has rear lockers already installed. So basically a used TRD rear diff.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Super Mod!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...st-tacoma.html
Hes got a rear axle on a totaled taco with an e-locker
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Super Mod!

Quote:
sweet! Thank you very much for your help! So just to make sure I got this right: I need to find a rear differential that has rear lockers already installed. So basically a used TRD rear diff.
Yepp check that link he has everything you need
Old 02-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...st-tacoma.html
Hes got a rear axle on a totaled taco with an e-locker
I'd jump on that!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #19

What do you guys think of this?
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-131...ocker-3rd.html
Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
Super Mod!

Quote:
Is that the complete axle or just the e-locker assembly?