1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No plug on oil filter holder

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ajviper7, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    ajviper7

ajviper7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    08 silver TRD OR 4x4 AC
    The last time that I had my oil changed, I took my truck to the dealer to have it done. Well, today I needed to change my oil again but this time I had some spare time and decided to do change it myself. When I was about to replace the oil filter I noticed that the little rubber cap was missing on the bottom of the filter holder. I make sure that I put it back on every time I change the oil, so I believe my dealership forgot to replace it. My question is how important is that little cap. Should I go ahead and replace the filter and change the oil or should I go get another cap first.

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's just to hold in the drips...I've been driving around without one for like 10K miles now.

If you are really motivated- You can run some tubing to catch the oil and drain it down to the frame inside the tire for easy clean up.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i have never had that alittle cap on there. its nothing. just put a plastic bottle under it when you change your oil to catch the little bit that comes out when u take the filter off.

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    ajviper7

ajviper7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    08 silver TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Thanks guys. I didnt think it was much, but i wanted to be sure.

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Bushmaster

Bushmaster Hookit on fonix rilly fer mee

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    silver 08 4x4 TRD sport
    yeah your fine,its just the drain plug for the oil filter catch basin. but if you do want something on it just pick up a rubber cap and some tubing next time your at the hardware store

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    If you ever swing by the dealership just let them know what happened and hopefully they will just give you another one.

7. Jun 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Markcape

Markcape Old as Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Cape Cod,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma A/C Debadged
    Ionic S/S 4in. Oval Running boards Sound Shocker/Stereo radio Aux. input mod. "new" Blower motor Installed/TSB WeatherTech mats Pro Cargo net in bed Console net Tailgate anti-theft mod. ImMrYo Mirror Lift bracket u RainX Wiper Blades
    My local garage did not attach mine last month! They also left the cut bottle below it catching the oil.:eek: Went to local Advanced Auto Parts Store. Pick up 5/16 rubber vacuum cap part #47394 $2.89. Great fix.:cool:

TacomaCZman likes this.
  8. Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I do all my oil changes ...and just last week, my rubber plug was gone. :D I'm usually very religious about getting things back together. Either I forgot to put it back on or it fell off (stretched from all these years)??

I was gonna create a new forum post called "I lost my Nipple Cover" but I decided against it as it would probably get ugly really quick. :D :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top