1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Couple Maintence Questions...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by PPower05, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Alright guys,
    I am a new Taco owner, and have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers to... Any help is much appreciated!

1). I know there is a rear diff, and the fluid should be changed every 30K miles... Is there a front diff? If so, when do you replace the fluids?
    2). Having been a previous Jeep owner, when you serviced the rear diff, there was a gasket that you had to change. Is there a gasket on the Taco, or is it a sealed unit?
    3). Where is the transfer case, and when do the fluids have to be changed for it? Someone told me that it needed to be changed with the differentals???

Thanks!
    Power

2. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'll do my best...

1. There is a front diff and transfer case. They both call for changes at 30k, like the rear (excessive, unless used a lot, IMO).

2. There is a gasket on the drain plug, but that's it. I don't know if your Jeep had the removable diff cover to drain, but these trucks just use a plug.

3. See #1.

I'm going to have a trusted shop do the changes for me next time. The oil stinks like no other, it's a pain, and I just don't feel like doing it. I do all my own maintenance usually, but the cost/benefit is not great enough for me on this job. Good luck!

3. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Read your Owner's Manual for starters...
    1). I know there is a rear diff, and the fluid should be changed every 30K miles... Is there a front diff? If so, when do you replace the fluids?
    If you have a 4x4, you have a frotn diff, otherwise you do not have a front differential. The service manual says 'inspect' the differential fluid every 15,000 miles but never says change it. I changed mine at 30,000 miles.
    2). Having been a previous Jeep owner, when you serviced the rear diff, there was a gasket that you had to change. Is there a gasket on the Taco, or is it a sealed unit?
    GM vehicles you have to take off the rear differential cover, you do not have to do that with a Toyota. There is a drain and fill plug. Be sure to use the correct fluids and additives (if you have limited slip). There will be a sticker on the differential if you have LSD.
    3). Where is the transfer case, and when do the fluids have to be changed for it? Someone told me that it needed to be changed with the differentals???
    Again, you only have a transfer case if you have a 4x4. The transfer case is under the truck, after the transmission before the drive shaft. Follow the front drive shaft backwards, it ends at the transfer case. I don't remember the intervals for the transfer case but I changed mine at 30,000 miles.

4. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    yea, none of those need to be changed, practically at all. Maybe at 100k for giggles. Change em all you want. But its pointless.
    Of course your boutique oils.. like amway's amsoil and kirby's redline and sunbeam's royal purple door to door rip off artists will want you to change it with every fillup.

Read the manual.

5. Feb 25, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i changed mine all out at 50,000....the rear had chunks of degraded oil flopping out.....the front was still pretty good looking......the transfer was like brand spanking new almost.....the rear plug had an assload of mettallic stuck to it.....i used amsoil in all these and should be good till 100,000 ;)

6. Feb 25, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I stand corrected. This is a more accurate statement.

7. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    nelsd99

nelsd99 New Member

Member:
    My Scheduled Maintenance Guide for my 2007 Taco says 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k... etc

Driving while towing:
    • Replace front differential oil
    • Replace rear differential oil, including limited slip
    • Replace transfer case oil (4WD Highlander, 4WD RAV4)
    I seem to be REPLACING my F/R differential oil every 20K.

8. Mar 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    When all else fails read the directions!
    :frusty:

Products Discussed in

To Top