1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BigDan, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    BigDan

BigDan [OP] Travelin’ Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    None YET! (It's only got 50 miles on it.)
    I am about to commit to a 2011 Taco. V-6 4x4. What I am surprised to see is that the automatic is rated a couple miles better per gallon than the manual shift. The FJ has similar ratings but the manual shift is full time 4x4.

Why does the manual shift Taco get worse gas mileage ratings than the automatic when all the other specs. are the same?

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Manuals have a lower final drive ratio. IOW, rpms are higher in final gear with the manual than on an auto.

3. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    BigDan

BigDan [OP] Travelin’ Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    None YET! (It's only got 50 miles on it.)
    Thanks

4. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    ITs also a bit of BS. The government modified the calculation for poor drivers that drive at excessive speeds. Since the truck does poorly in mpg when being driven like a horney 18 year old, it futzes with the numbers. It used to be rated at 20. They knocked it down to 18 for sports car purposes. I get 18 solid.. never low 18. Never 17 NEVER, in city driving almost entirely. Almost no highway at all.
    Thing with the automatic is, theres not as much you can do to save gas. Many, if not most, automatics are getting equal or higher numbers than standards now-a-days. Better shift programs and more gears. Still suck, but at least you're not suffering as much.

The tacoma does, however, not take as well to driving well as other cars do. 18 is my low, but its not too far off my high. If you read the window sticker it'll say something like 12-16 (or 8-26 depending on conditions and driving style) If you're seeing the south side of 17 on a 4.0, you're in a peculiar circumstance.

You also have to understand. It's not like there's actually a guy driving these things. Its a guess, and a bad one.

Products Discussed in

To Top