1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backlash/Play in Transmission when shifting.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jamie886, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    jamie886

jamie886 [OP] New Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport, Dbl Cab, Manual
    I have a 2008 Tacoma TRD Sport, Double Cab, Manual Transmission.

When I'm shifting gears in my truck, I sometimes notice that when I let out the clutch, the truck will kind of rock back and forth slightly, like there's gear play or backlash in the transmission or something. And you can hear it... sounds like the knocking you might get from gear backlash.

It usually only occurs when I have accelerated to cruising speed, shifted gears and let out the clutch with the intent to stay at the same speed. It doesn't do it when I shift gears and then keep accelerating in the new gear.

I have google searched already, but either I wasn't using the correct keywords, or this isn't a common problem. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and if its normal or not. Thanks!

2. Sep 25, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    geoandrew

geoandrew Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    3 " Lift Kit Tuff Country
    The first thing I noticed when I was getting use to my new 2001 Tacoma 4x4 manual transmission was what I thought was excessive backlash in my drive train. I have always bought manual trans vehicles and this is my first Toyota. I noticed a low roar at 60mph climbing a grade on my way home from work and thought it was the engine just getting down under load. I installed a 3" lift kit at 6000 miles and the low roar at 60mph became a loud roar between 55 and 65mph. Checked the u-joints and diff fluid all seemed fine. No noise below or above 65 mph but going down the grade i can play with the throttle so it the engine is not holding back or thrusting and get an awful high pitch whine. Have not taken to dealer yet but afraid they will blame any problems on the mods i made to the suspension by changing the angle of the drive shaft. I contend the problem was there before the lift kit but not as noticeable.

3. Oct 31, 2023 at 11:08 PM
    Krillah95taco

Krillah95taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 3.4 sas swap
    Trail gear sas 3”
    I’m having the same problem with my 1995 Tacoma 3.4 manual transmission feels like there’s backlash or play when letting out my clutch,tried checking all drive line components and I’m pretty sure it’s coming from the transmission,drives and shifts fine just a lot of play when shifting?hopefully I can find the problem befor I start spending and changing parts,anying information would help

4. Nov 1, 2023 at 5:22 PM
    ShimStack

ShimStack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '91 Truggy, '98 Project, '16 DC OR M/T Locked F/R
    There's always lots of lash in drivetrains and it's most noticeable with a manual. I get the same sensation when releasing the clutch if engine rpm's are too low for the gear and speed. That mismatch causes engine braking that bangs across the backlash and can oscillate back and forth until loaded up fully on the drive side of everything again. Seems that's what it may be since it's not occurring when accelerating and thus staying firmly on the drive side of the backlash.

Products Discussed in

To Top