LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Backlash/Play in Transmission when shifting.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
jamie886 is on a distinguished road
jamie886's Tacoma Gallery
Backlash/Play in Transmission when shifting.

I have a 2008 Tacoma TRD Sport, Double Cab, Manual Transmission.

When I'm shifting gears in my truck, I sometimes notice that when I let out the clutch, the truck will kind of rock back and forth slightly, like there's gear play or backlash in the transmission or something. And you can hear it... sounds like the knocking you might get from gear backlash.

It usually only occurs when I have accelerated to cruising speed, shifted gears and let out the clutch with the intent to stay at the same speed. It doesn't do it when I shift gears and then keep accelerating in the new gear.

I have google searched already, but either I wasn't using the correct keywords, or this isn't a common problem. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and if its normal or not. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
geoandrew is on a distinguished road
Name: George
geoandrew's Tacoma Gallery
2011 tacoma 4x4 differential noise

The first thing I noticed when I was getting use to my new 2001 Tacoma 4x4 manual transmission was what I thought was excessive backlash in my drive train. I have always bought manual trans vehicles and this is my first Toyota. I noticed a low roar at 60mph climbing a grade on my way home from work and thought it was the engine just getting down under load. I installed a 3" lift kit at 6000 miles and the low roar at 60mph became a loud roar between 55 and 65mph. Checked the u-joints and diff fluid all seemed fine. No noise below or above 65 mph but going down the grade i can play with the throttle so it the engine is not holding back or thrusting and get an awful high pitch whine. Have not taken to dealer yet but afraid they will blame any problems on the mods i made to the suspension by changing the angle of the drive shaft. I contend the problem was there before the lift kit but not as noticeable.