Notices

UltraGauge

Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
timkins42 is on a distinguished road
Army: CSM retired
Name: Tim
timkins42's Tacoma Gallery
UltraGauge

Is the Ultra Gauge worth the money and hype?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkins42 View Post
Is the Ultra Gauge worth the money and hype?
I think they're great!!!! Just make sure you calibrate it correctly and download the manual off the website.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine the other day, does alot of interesting stuff. I still need to calibrate mine before I can say just how awesome it is.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
riderrace is on a distinguished road
Name: Ty
riderrace's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested as well... Any other opinions?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. WELL worth the money.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
They look super BA, it just seems a little sketchy being so much cheaper than a scangaugeII. I supposed I just dismissed the idea of getting one, once I saw the SG's price.

Definitely going to have to get one.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Well worth the money! I finally got mine calibrated and it's dead on. I use it more for mileage because I needed some help changing my driving habits but it can display a whole range of information.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
^^^ That's mainly what I'm interested in. I feel like my MPG's suffer a bit too much, but I also should do a complete tune-up here soon.

I'd like a number for my battery voltage as well, and would like tranny temp, etc. but as long as she's a-goin good I guess it isn't a problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderrace View Post
^^^ That's mainly what I'm interested in. I feel like my MPG's suffer a bit too much, but I also should do a complete tune-up here soon.

I'd like a number for my battery voltage as well, and would like tranny temp, etc. but as long as she's a-goin good I guess it isn't a problem.
None of the real time gauges support a tranny temp function. IIRC, the temp sender on teh Tacoma is a "Good/Bad" sensor, and doesnt give real time temp info.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
None of the real time gauges support a tranny temp function. IIRC, the temp sender on teh Tacoma is a "Good/Bad" sensor, and doesnt give real time temp info.
I didn't convey my knowledge of this quite well enough, but that was the point on the if it's running why worry about it comment.

I've got a decent amount of shop experience, and have access to some pretty expensive computer scanners. I assume anything the nice OBDII readers can pick up, so can this one.

I suppose if I really wanted a tranny temp sensor, I could install one myself and do a fancy gauge on the column... But that's just not for poor college kids.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if its just mine or what, but my Ultragauge states it cannot find my fuel sensor. Anyone else run into this? It still calculates my Fuel levels pretty good off miles, but I cant use any of the added fuel options aside from adding gallons after a fill up.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
It's worth the money to me just to be able to read codes. The rest of the features are a bonus
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawick View Post
Not sure if its just mine or what, but my Ultragauge states it cannot find my fuel sensor. Anyone else run into this? It still calculates my Fuel levels pretty good off miles, but I cant use any of the added fuel options aside from adding gallons after a fill up.
Our trucks don't have a fuel sensor. Just a fuel gauge that doesn't run off the ECU. That's why the UltraGauge needs to know your engine size and tank size.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Still not worthy!

Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Our trucks don't have a fuel sensor. Just a fuel gauge that doesn't run off the ECU. That's why the UltraGauge needs to know your engine size and tank size.
Makes sense why it coudnt find it then!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
the website says it can read outside temperature... is this applicable on a 1st gen? I don't see how it could be...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
It also states that the actual gauges present are vehicle dependent. Must be for a car that runs ambient temp through the ECU, but I'm not aware of that being present on a 1st gen...

Also their "Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator" doesn't show an ambient (outside) temp gauge available.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
timkins42 is on a distinguished road
Army: CSM retired
Name: Tim
timkins42's Tacoma Gallery
Got my Ultra Gauge yesterday in the mail. I'll let you know how it works out after I take my annual trip to St Louis which is about 900 miles one way.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
the website says it can read outside temperature... is this applicable on a 1st gen? I don't see how it could be...
I use the air intake temp gauge for that. I have the deckplate mod and it is usually pretty close as long as I'm driving or the truck hasn't been sitting still very long.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
polar is on a distinguished road
Name: Polar
polar's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, the truck doesn't have a fuel sensor and the electronic gauge isn't tied in? I wish I read this before I bought the damn thing. I kinda thought that was the most useful feature. Okay, I really wanted to know what the intake air temperature is.

I hardly fill up my tank because I usually use cash, $20 here, $40 there, (more like $50/$60 these days), so using the fill-up short cut doesn't do me much good. So much for being "automatic". Damn.