LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Why no Hill Start Assist on manual trannys?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #41
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I was on a 45 degree hill. I lstopped and let off the gas to see what would happen. It rolled back a foot and engaged the brakes for 1 second for three times then stalled the engine and I rolled down the hill with no power. Its only useful for stopping your engine from dying when you let off the brake for a split second... it does NOT hold you still if you are on a VERY steep incline. You will move a good foot or so between pulses.
What kind of vehicle are you talking about?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #42
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
What kind of vehicle are you talking about?
2010 TRD OR 4x4
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
I was on a 45 degree hill. I lstopped and let off the gas to see what would happen. It rolled back a foot and engaged the brakes for 1 second for three times then stalled the engine and I rolled down the hill with no power. Its only useful for stopping your engine from dying when you let off the brake for a split second... it does NOT hold you still if you are on a VERY steep incline. You will move a good foot or so between pulses.
I think you hit the nail in the head with that. Maybe they added it to do exactly that.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #44
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Handbrake works fine. Wouldn't even need that if the electronic throttle didn't have that delay built into it.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #45
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Being a Man works fine too. If I can do SF hills without parking brakes and shit, you all can too.

/thread
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #46
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmonkey View Post
Being a Man works fine too. If I can do SF hills without parking brakes and shit, you all can too.
Yeah yeah .. your dick is bigger than mine. Blah blah. Like I said, it has nothing to do with not being able to drive a stick. Hell, we don't need A-TRAC or LSDs or lockers either? Or for that matter mud or snow tires. Everything's a crutch to someone who prefers more of a challenge.

I'm reminded of Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard who used to free climb totally naked, without clothing, ropes or footwear because he believed it was all crutches, and all separating man from raw skill and primal nature. That is until he tore up his feet enough. Funny how quickly the whole he-man warrior thing fades when your feet are chopped up.

No, it's not a necessary feature. But given that the sensors already exist, it seems like an easy add.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #47
Quote:
2010 TRD OR 4x4
I'm confused. Is this a manual or auto TRD that we're talking about? Because the manual has no hill start assist function. The auto does, but if it's an auto, it shouldn't be killing your engine.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #48
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My Subaru 4WD wagon back 25 years ago had hill start... Just tap the brake and the brake holds the car until you release the clutch as you depress the gas and move ahead.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #49
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I'm confused. Is this a manual or auto TRD that we're talking about? Because the manual has no hill start assist function. The auto does, but if it's an auto, it shouldn't be killing your engine.
Auto that why the OP was asking why it wasn't on the manual.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Auto that why the OP was asking why it wasn't on the manual.
Yeah ... I'm the OP But why would hill start assist stall the engine in an automatic? That was the part that was confusing to me. Never heard of that happening.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #51
Banned
Quote:
Yeah ... I'm the OP But why would hill start assist stall the engine in an automatic? That was the part that was confusing to me. Never heard of that happening.
Lol. Hello OP. I couldn't see who it was when I was on my phone.

I have stalled an auto before. If you are on a hill in 4wd low and you roll back the torque convertor will spin fast enough to push the fluid the wrong way through the engine side of the convertor and slow the engine down enough to stall it.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #52
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah yeah .. your dick is bigger than mine. Blah blah. Like I said, it has nothing to do with not being able to drive a stick. Hell, we don't need A-TRAC or LSDs or lockers either? Or for that matter mud or snow tires. Everything's a crutch to someone who prefers more of a challenge.

I'm reminded of Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard who used to free climb totally naked, without clothing, ropes or footwear because he believed it was all crutches, and all separating man from raw skill and primal nature. That is until he tore up his feet enough. Funny how quickly the whole he-man warrior thing fades when your feet are chopped up.

No, it's not a necessary feature. But given that the sensors already exist, it seems like an easy add.

for the record, i have none of those a trac, lsds, or lockers. I dont consider it a crutch, i consider it a diaper.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmonkey View Post
for the record, i have none of those a trac, lsds, or lockers. I dont consider it a crutch, i consider it a diaper.
LOL. Well I'm old. I need diapers.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #54
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
I don't see this being a high demand feature. People who are looking for manual aren't looking for all the automatic nonsense. I prefer simple and dependable than something extra that will eventually break.....
x200
Old 04-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #55
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
why would they u big sissy
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #56
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. I have it, so its obviously an auto.. I said it does not work... thats why its NOT in the manual in my first post. As in, it does not even work on the auto. My engine dies because the truck is going backward while in gear. I dont see what is so confusing about this. You let off the brake and the car rolls backward a foot... then it pulses a brake... thats not working. Working would be letting off brake and NOT rolling backward a foot before activation. After 3 pulses it does not work... free rolls backward, killing the engine.