1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why no Hill Start Assist on manual trannys?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MountainEarth, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Anybody know why Toyota never developed a hill start assist feature for the 6-speed manual transmission?

I know it's on the autos, but that seems kind of pointless to me as I've never known rollback with an auto to be a problem. Seems it would be easy enough to develop and you could turn it on and off with a button on the dash, and would make a huge difference with hill starts in MT Tacomas as the rear is so lightweight and prone to breaking loose on steep takeoffs. Others have it ... like the MT Wranglers. Why not manual FJs and Tacomas? Or (as the 4Runner had already done) is Toyota just determined to make everything auto? (A dealer told me that's exactly what they've heard Toyota is doing).

2. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    Put a couple jersey barriers in the bed.

3. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    LOL

4. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    ferrari tried it, it sucked. You have a working parking brake in the manual shift. Autos don't. (they push on push off like others right?) Use your hand brake. Same thing.

5. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    This or use your right foot for brake and gas while starting to move (I forget the name or it).

And yes 808 you are right about the autos.

6. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    heel toe. brake/gas with both the right foot.

7. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Yes, that is what I was talking about.

8. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    pfff heel toe. Hand brake is right there for a reason. Its always been there in toyotas and used to be in nissans cause its awesome. Similar in rovers.

Unless of course you need all 4 wheels to stay stopped. I've seen that. Forget to lock in your hubs, then can't get out to do it because you need all 4 wheels stopped just to stay in one place.. can't go forward because too slick.

You really have to practice the ol heel toe. If I'm on the street, I just do a quick gas then slip the clutch fast.

9. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Then do what tow truck drivers do: put a stick in between the seat and brake pedal.:D

10. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    I did the hand brake thing for years. It was all fine and good. But a good electronic hill start assist just seems like an evolutionary step for manuals. Like I said, I've heard great things about it in the Wranglers ... with the exception that turning it off is a PITA with a sequence like turning off our seatbelt chimes. Making it a push button feature right next to the clutch start cancel would be great. Certainly if they can come up with TRAC/AutoLSD/A-TRAC which all make use of wheel sensors and ABS, they could easily create push button HSA for manuals.

11. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Simms65

Simms65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '16 Quicksand O/R M/T
    That's a fact. I don't want the truck to do it for me.

My sister has a '10 Wrangler with the hill start assist, and it is a PITA to deal with. You actually have to wait for the brakes to disengage to get going. I've stalled it several times not thinking about waiting. :mad:

12. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    That sounds like a major add on. Ergo, not going to find it on toyota's value line. Might see it on an FJ though. Just no real demand for it on an IFS pickup truck.

Well wait now, I can think of a couple of legitimate uses, boat ramps, trailering almost anywhere. But again, the tacoma is not a full on "truck" like a 250/2500 or even a 1500 model, which still isn't much of a "truck". Its more like a home tool kit. Not "shop grade". There's just no call for it. Do they offer it in ford/chevy HD models, yup.

13. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    If ya can't drive a standard tacoma ya better buy a prius!

14. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Yeah because all that ABS, TRAC, A-TRAC, VSC, AutoLSD, e-locker and drive-by-wire shit isn't automatic. :rolleyes:

15. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Yeah I've never really seen a reason for it in the auto. But on boat ramps or on some hairy steep, it would be a nice push button activated feature in a manual. Just like A-TRAC or a locker ... I sure as hell don't use them all the time, but it's nice to have the button when I need them.

16. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Clutch start cancel baby.

Stop. Engine dead. Clutch out. brake off - engine braking holds position on all fours. Clutch start cancel button. turn over ignition - starter starts truck moving and also starts the engine. Yes, the starter has enough power to move the truck forward in 4lo 1st even when it's *really* steep.

No roll back.

parel likes this.
  17. Mar 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I miss driving big trucks....the tacoma is nothing in comparison. At least I don't have to deal with stares of seeing a 20-something small chick hopping out of the 18-wheeler or the tanker I use to drive.

If I wasn't in southern california I would have a manual...im sick of so-cal I want out!

18. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Yeah clutch start cancel is cool ... when you kill the engine in 4lo. Like I've said, what I'm talking about is a dash button that could be used in 2hi or 4hi as well.

Yes it's true you can finesse the e-brake. Like I said, I did that for years. But given all the other electronic convenience crap on these things now .. manuals too .. I'm just surprised this is one Toyota hasn't done considering nearly all the parts are already there. You'd just need to add a sensor to detect rollback and then apply the brake ... just as TRAC, AutoLSD and A-TRAC apply the brake when a wheel breaks loose.

But then again, as I mentioned in my 1st post, I'm guessing Toyota probably isn't particularly eager to add any features to it's manuals, since like everyone else, they appear to be phasing them out. They dropped another 3 manual Tacoma models for the 2011 year.

It's kind of sad actually, because what I'd really love to see is an all manual everything again. A true all purpose tinker's truck that's a no nonsense workhorse. But more and more even the most tried and true models are becoming computers on wheels.

19. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Mmmmmmmmmmm :hungry:

20. Mar 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Brainless

Brainless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off-Road 6sp manual
    didn't subaru used to have a "hill hold" on the manual trans?

Products Discussed in

To Top