Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Brainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the rough

Name: Greg
Brainless's Tacoma Gallery
OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install

I figured i would post a quick how to.

If you have the OBDLink Bluetooth (link) and planning on installing it permanently in your truck, here is what I did:

1.) Download the necessary software and tools:
-STN Term (at the bottom of the page)
-The most recent firmware version (I used 2.2.2)
2.) Update the firmware:
-connect the OBDLink via usb to the computer
-extract (unzip) the downloaded firmware
-run "StnFirmwareUpdater.exe" from the extracted file
-make sure the correct com port and firmware file are selected and select "upload firmware"
-if it succeeded close the updater.
3.) configure the sleep settings:
-run "stnterm.exe" you downloaded.
-select the correct com port and click ATI, you should get a response with the current version
-type in "STSLVLW >14.00, 2" (this wakes the device if the voltage is greater than 14 volts for 2 seconds) click send, you should get a "ok" response.
-type in "STSLVLS <13.80, 30" (this will put the device in sleep state if the voltage is less than 13.80 volts for 30 seconds) click send, you should get a "ok" response.
-type in "STSLVL on,on" (this turns on both voltage sleep and wake triggers) click send, you should get a "ok" response.
4.) verify that the settings and commands worked:
-click "ATZ" in stnterm (this reboots the device) you should get a "ok" response.
-type in "STSLCS" (this shows the current power save settings) click send, you should get a list that should look like this:
Code:
CTRL MODE:  NATIVE
PWR_CTRL:   LOW PWR = LOW
UART SLEEP: OFF, 1200 s
UART WAKE:  ON,  0-30000 us
EXT INPUT:  LOW = SLEEP
EXT SLEEP:  OFF, LOW FOR 3000 ms
EXT WAKE:   ON,  HIGH FOR 2000 ms
VL SLEEP:   ON,  <13.80V FOR 30 s
VL WAKE:    ON,  >14.00V FOR 2 s
VCHG WAKE:  OFF, +0.20V IN 1000 ms
if all the settings look correct you are good to go.
5.) Make sure it works:
-Plug it into your truck and watch the alternating led, if it goes off after 30 seconds it is in sleep mode.
-Start the engine, the led should come on and alternate again.
-Your good to go!

notes:
I did this with a 2011 V6 WITH the tow package (larger battery and alternator), you may have to adjust the voltages to your truck.

If at any time the commands do not reply with "ok" use the ATZ to reboot the OBDLink at try the command again.

I am using a DROID2, I have both DashCommand and Torque for Android. (they both work with the OBDLink)

Any questions just ask
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Brainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the rough

couple pics:

(sorry for the dirty screen, and yes i know the fuel level isn't working)

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install-img_4340.jpg

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install-img_4341.jpg

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install-img_4348.jpg

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install-img_4350.jpg

OBDLink Bluetooth Permanent Install-img_4351.jpg
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
Is dashcommand worth the cash? I just started using Torque today, my hong kong obd reader arrived.

I haven't heard of DashCommand i've been using CarHome. At 50 bucks i'm probably not going to get DC either.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

I am also using Car Home right now, the only reason to get DashCommand would be for the logging/tracking abilities. it calculates things in the background (runs scripts) for things like mpg and 3 trip sets.

For now Torque is the way to go, it is way faster update rate at the moment.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDigg View Post
my hong kong obd reader arrived.
is the reader you have the same chip/interface as obdlink?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

bump

does anyone have the OBDLink?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
sleep settings............ zombie bump, I know....but I am curious about this sleep setting and need to sub for later.

:walker: