Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Losing brake fluid

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Ray07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Ray
Ray07tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Losing brake fluid

4cyl, 5spd, 4x4, 86k miles.
Have top off bake fluid in December then, a month/2000miles ago.
Brake lites came on yesterday, ck fluid and it was at minimum again, so top it off again.
Check for leak last month and again this morning, no wet spot or leak anywhere, master cylinder, wheels cylinders Frt/rear, no leak under clutch pedal. cannot find any sign of leaks
Brakes works great but fluid useage does not seemed normal...
any comments/suggestions??
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Brake fluid levels in the reservoir will drop as the pads wear, but what you're seeing sounds excessively fast.

Did you follow the hard lines through your entire truck looking for leaks?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray07tacoma View Post
4cyl, 5spd, 4x4, 86k miles.
Have top off bake fluid in December then, a month/2000miles ago.
Brake lites came on yesterday, ck fluid and it was at minimum again, so top it off again.
Check for leak last month and again this morning, no wet spot or leak anywhere, master cylinder, wheels cylinders Frt/rear, no leak under clutch pedal. cannot find any sign of leaks
Brakes works great but fluid useage does not seemed normal...
any comments/suggestions??
Each brake cylinder has seal if one of them fails it will leak fluid, slowly but enough to make a level drop.
You need to remove each wheel and apply brakes while truck is running to see leaks.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Ray07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud ofRay07tacoma has much to be proud of

Did follow the lines under truck and crawl under to visually inspect the back sideof rotor where the lines go in, and did not see and wet spot anywhere.
I will have to take the wheels off to check each wheel cylinder, but I am skeptical as there is no sign of leak a all
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

Well, finally found a wet spot in the cab under the clutch pedal.
Brake Master cylinder Fluid reservoir also supply fluid to Clutch master cylinder, and that is the part that was loosing fluid.
In this case the fluid was dripping behind the carpet, making it un-noticeable.
Weekend project in the work.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find, and good luck on the repair!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Chuckracer is on a distinguished road
Chuckracer's Tacoma Gallery
Thread Resurrection...looks like I may have the same problem with my '09 Standard Cab 4 banger 4x4...53,000 miles.

How common is this?

*edit* Apparently I have to replace my clutch master cylinder. Is this part rebuildable? Anybody done it? it can only be a leaking seal, right?
Any of you wizards replaced that seal instead of the whole unit?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

brake master cylinder

It was a pain to get it back together.
end up taking the pedal assembly in the cab apart to do it properly.
Am sure that rebuild kit is available but not in local store, so replaced the unit.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Chuckracer is on a distinguished road
Chuckracer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Ray. After reading your description of the job, I think I'll let my local trusted garage handle it.

Thanks!