Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05+ DRL (Daytime Running Lights) Install OEM

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #21
dlg is on a distinguished road
dlg's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the fog lamps from Toyotapart.com in my 06 Tacoma. It took me 20 minutes and the only tool I needed was a sharp knife. My Tacoma was pre-wired for them, so I popped in the lenses and bulbs and plugged in the switch, the wires were behind the top left cover. That's it. I have $50.00 worth of leftover parts from the kit. Are they all not pre-wired for them?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #22
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Mine is not. I will have to look again for my own sanity, but I did not see the wiring.

What part #'s did you order? How much was the order? How do they look?

If they are OEM, you should do a thread about them with pics!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #23
dlg is on a distinguished road
dlg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm up in Canada, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it though because my truck was made in California. I called the dealership to inquire about having them installed and he quoted me $2000.00. Then he suggested I buy the parts at the auto-wreckers and do it myself as it is pre-wired anyway. I wasn't able to find enough used parts fast enough so I just bought the kit. Incidentally the Toyota Solara has the same fog lights, different switch though.

This is the kit I bought, they are OEM and in Toyota packaging:
Product Information
Product Quantity Price Sub Total
FOG LIGHTS P/N: 81211-AA030/KIT 1 $350.73 $350.73
Shipping: $25.00
UPS
Order Total: $375.73
Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #24
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Cool DRL installed today

I just did the DRL upgrade on my 06 TRD DC...turned out nice. Feels like a diferent truck.

One critique: You should add that you have to remove the grey cap/cover before you can put the new white jumper plug in place. I thought I had a different fuse block until I enlarged your instruction photos and figured it out. Other wise it only took me 45 min start to finish. Dealer I bought the parts from quoted 2.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next is an Alipine head unit
Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Driving Light Modification something they'll do at the dealership? If so, I guess it doesn't void any warranties, etc.?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #26
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
Is the Driving Light Modification something they'll do at the dealership? If so, I guess it doesn't void any warranties, etc.?
No because it is standard in Canada and a $40 option if you order your truck here in the US. So, as long as you use factory parts there is no way for them to tell the difference. Just make sure you put everything back the way you found it.
I am really enjoying them. Looks really cool.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Audible: While I don't have a picture of it, I did put your comment in there... Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #28
sixonesix is on a distinguished road
sixonesix's Tacoma Gallery
Just completed this mod on my 07..very easy and quick..about 40 min to complete. On to the next mod...thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #29
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
I finally ordered the parts to do this mod. I'm sure this will go over pretty easily. I've been up under the dash quite a few times. I paid about 55.00 including shipping.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #30
I dub thee malicious!

One EXTRA WARNING about doing this mod. If you have an alarm system with a shock sensor under the dash, DO NOT bind the sensor against anything that would keep it from moving.

It is meant to detect motion!!!

I made this mistake. I used to be able to set off my alarm by shutting my tailgate. Now, I can't make it go off by jumping up and down in the bed. I plan on fixing this issue this weekend.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #31
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
I just did this mod today in about 30mins. Couldn't have been any easier. Some of the relays put up a fight to get out of there, but in the end I was victorious. My Tacoma looks like a whole new animal... It feels like a top of the line vehicle. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get the chance. Thanks for the great write 007 Tacoma.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 AM   #32
I dub thee malicious!

I am really glad this article is helping so many people. I get about 3-4 emails every week with questions regarding this install. Some people are putting them in and others are taking them out. I don't claim to know everything about this setup (as a matter of fact I am looking for a way to put a switch to it still), but I am more than happy to help.

MotoXFreeStyle61, I can't wait to see your pictures! Mine came out like crap compared to what it really looks like.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #33
Displaced Texan

I dont understand how anyone can't figure it out. The way they have all the plugs you can't insert something where it doesnt belong unless you destroy the plastic plug.

If anyone needs any help with detailed pictures I found this tread on toyota nation. I didn't need it because the install is pretty self explanatory.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176420.html
Old 12-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #35
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
In California, it's ticketable to drive with parking lights only. I wonder if the cop would make the distinction between corner parking lights and the grill lights.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 AM   #36
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
In California, it's ticketable to drive with parking lights only. I wonder if the cop would make the distinction between corner parking lights and the grill lights.
With all the vehicles with some type of daytime running lights today that involve yellow/amber lights, there's got to be some sort of loophole to this law that says if your tail-lights aren't lit up (or some other way to differentiate daytime running lights from parking lights), then they can't ticket you. Otherwise, CHiPs would be very busy...
Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #37
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
With all the vehicles with some type of daytime running lights today that involve yellow/amber lights, there's got to be some sort of loophole to this law that says if your tail-lights aren't lit up (or some other way to differentiate daytime running lights from parking lights), then they can't ticket you. Otherwise, CHiPs would be very busy...
I don't know that it'd be likely that one would get a ticket but I do know a guy who received a ticket for it (he was driving in beach traffic through a sobriety check point). It could be they just didn't like the way he looked, but it gave them an excuse to pull him over. I don't know the reason for the law (I would think extra visibility would be good).

The link I posted is the actual online law repository for the State of California. It shows the actual law (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html). It's more up-to-date than the vehicle code books they hand out. There is no exception other than that if the parking lights are on while one is driving (and not turning), the headlights have to be on. It's pretty specific. Some don't care if it's legal or not. My only point is to show that, in California, you can be ticketed. It's the same as aftermarket tint on the driver and front passenger side windows. You may not get ticketed but you can (I have even with very light tint).

BTW, anyone interested can get a table of contents for the entire California vehicle code by clicking the vehicle code box and searching on nothing.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #38
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I don't know that it'd be likely that one would get a ticket but I do know a guy who received a ticket for it (he was driving in beach traffic through a sobriety check point). It could be they just didn't like the way he looked, but it gave them an excuse to pull him over. I don't know the reason for the law (I would think extra visibility would be good).

The link I posted is the actual online law repository for the State of California. It shows the actual law (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html). It's more up-to-date than the vehicle code books they hand out. There is no exception other than that if the parking lights are on while one is driving (and not turning), the headlights have to be on. It's pretty specific. Some don't care if it's legal or not. My only point is to show that, in California, you can be ticketed. It's the same as aftermarket tint on the driver and front passenger side windows. You may not get ticketed but you can (I have even with very light tint).

BTW, anyone interested can get a table of contents for the entire California vehicle code by clicking the vehicle code box and searching on nothing.
In my legal opinion...that blows...that's just more bass-ackwards bull crap that keeps people thinking that California is weird (not the law itself, but that they actually enforce it). I mean, I know that police let people think that they can speed up to 9 m.p.h. over the limit so that they can basically pull over anyone they want to, but still...it makes no sense whatsoever to ticket people for having a "more safe" vehicle. Can you also get a ticket for not having your parking lights on while you're parked and your vehicle is on?

:Steps off the soapbox:
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #39
Labatt 50 is on a distinguished road

Labatt 50's Tacoma Gallery
Super post! Very usefull for a canadian who wants to make a US tacoma street legal here. But it looks like there is a litle problem,Part # 81980-35020 appears to be a flasher unit not a jumper...If anyone can help me it will be very aprreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #40
dsds is on a distinguished road
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
just order it as described and don't worry about the description. You'll get what you need guaranteed.

Products Discussed in this Thread