Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05+ DRL (Daytime Running Lights) Install OEM

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #421
Gros is on a distinguished road
Name: Gros
Gros's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know how to disable DRL on a 2011 Tacoma. Would it be the reverse to the install above.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #422
R09ster will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
R09ster's Tacoma Gallery
how do you keep the DRL from turning off when the headlights come on? I'm assuming it's a relay you can bypass or something, just don't know which one...
Old 09-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #424
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to do this! How are you guys running the fog lights without the headlights?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #425
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo5 View Post
Can't wait to do this! How are you guys running the fog lights without the headlights?
Look up the Fog Light Anytime mod.
Beware, if your state has annual inspections, it may cause it not to pass if the lights can be turned on without the headlights or if they remain on when you switch to high beam.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #427
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Roger that!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #428
TRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JP
TRDtexasTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to your write up I have DRLs !! I found when I was putting everything back together there was one little wire that connected to somthing. I didn't disconnect from anything though. Not sure if will hurt anything to leave it unplugged cause I couldn't find we're it should go. But everything works just fine still
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #429
2006 Access Cab
ALS2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alan
ALS2000's Tacoma Gallery
I did the DRL mod and it worked great UNTILL I did the "foglights anytime" mod. Now the DRL do not come on. Is there a way to have both work together?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #430
2006 Access Cab
ALS2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alan
ALS2000's Tacoma Gallery
It was simply a hand brake issue - both DRL and Fog Lights do work.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #431
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I want DRL!
Anybody out there who has them and doesnt want them, pm me and we can swap relays.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #432
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Is anyone having any negative effects from doing the DTRL mod?
I have heard of people's inner lenses melting form the heat of them being on all the time and/or fading the reflectors.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #433
JTac08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
JTac08's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up! I had seen a few tacomas with DRLs and wanted to do it.
It took me about an hour to install due to plugs not wanting to come out easily.

I do have one question though. When my truck engine is off and I turn the key in the ignition so just the electrics are on I was noticing a humming or buzzing type noise coming from the front of my truck. I'm just wondering if that is normal after installing the new relay or if maybe I plugged something back in wrong?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #434
tofreddy is on a distinguished road
Name: Freddy
tofreddy's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent

Thank you so much for your post. I did work on my 2009 - 2.7 - 4x4 - Access Cab. It took me literally 32 minutes to have it completed and working. Here is a picture.
Please, keep up the good advise.

Fredrick
Attached Thumbnails
05+ DRL (Daytime Running Lights) Install OEM-taco-drl.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #435
Whiplash777 is on a distinguished road
Whiplash777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
I have heard of people's inner lenses melting form the heat of them being on all the time and/or fading the reflectors.
I've had this mod in place for 2 1/2 years with no issue. This just installs the OEM DRLs that come as a factory option on some Tacomas which wouldn't cause anything to melt unless you replaced the bulbs with brighter ones.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros View Post
Anyone know how to disable DRL on a 2011 Tacoma. Would it be the reverse to the install above.
Pretty much, yeah. You just need the non-DRL relay and a cap. If you haven't done this yet, I believe I still have the non-DRL parts. If you cover shipping, they're yours!

PM me if interested.

Whip
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTac08 View Post
Thanks for the write up! I had seen a few tacomas with DRLs and wanted to do it.
It took me about an hour to install due to plugs not wanting to come out easily.

I do have one question though. When my truck engine is off and I turn the key in the ignition so just the electrics are on I was noticing a humming or buzzing type noise coming from the front of my truck. I'm just wondering if that is normal after installing the new relay or if maybe I plugged something back in wrong?
I know the fuel pump can kick in when you first turn the key to the ON position. There are other things that kick in too (like the HVAC blower). I would guess that if everything seems to work properly, you're probably fine and it's just a noise you didn't notice until you were really paying attention.

I did notice that the new DRL blinker relay is louder than the non-DRL relay (perhaps because of position to the side of the panel instead of behind).

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible if your truck blows up or creates a rift in the space/time continuum due to this mod being improperly installed. :-)

Whip
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #438
Dezert Shredder
TacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoShredsn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TacoShredsn
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
Alright so I was aware of this problem as well before I swapped relays. I have had the DRLs for about 4 months (since August). I have been watching the lenses closely and here's what I found:

The bulbs tend to run the hottest when the vehicle is idling and parked for a long period of time causing temps to rise and bubbles to start to form. When the vehicle is moving, the outside air keeps the headlights cooler making them less likely to melt. So the solution is to ALWAYS use your parking brake to disable the DRLs if you know your truck will be idling in one spot for a long period of time to prevent the lenses from getting too hot. In other words, don't let the DRLs run unless the truck is moving.

(I came to this conclusion because I let my girl run the A/C in the truck while I was out riding and I didn't have the parking brake on. Checked the lenses when I came back and noticed the first minor signs of bubbling.)
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #439
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoShredsn View Post
When the vehicle is moving, the outside air keeps the headlights cooler making them less likely to melt.
The outside air is moving across the outer plastic, not the turn signal lens.
The temperature inside does not change... trapped air is one of the best insulators available. There is some radiant heating of the contents of the housing, but there is no heat drawn from the turn signal lens by passing air.

Yours would have bubbled that day whether parked or moving.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #440
outdeh is on a distinguished road

Name: Dietrich
outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
Just did the mod today on my 2010 and it turned out great. Took me longer than I hoped, struggling with the cramped quarters and a few plugs not wanting to budge, but otherwise it was easy. Thanks OP for the great write-up

Products Discussed in this Thread