1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ DRL (Daytime Running Lights) Install OEM

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 007Tacoma, May 10, 2007.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Oreo5

Oreo5 Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Tinting
    Can't wait to do this! How are you guys running the fog lights without the headlights?

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Look up the Fog Light Anytime mod.
    Beware, if your state has annual inspections, it may cause it not to pass if the lights can be turned on without the headlights or if they remain on when you switch to high beam.

BruteTaco likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    TacoShredsn

TacoShredsn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 White PreRunner Supercharged M/T DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles, Raptor Style Satoshi Grille, BHLM, HID headlights, Rugged Ridge HID lights, LightForce light locks, custom fabricated off-road bumper, smoked tail lights w/LEDs, Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD double DIN w/ parking brake microbypass, 2 Kicker 12" subwoofers w/ Sony Xplod 800w amp, Moto Metal 951s, BFG AT 285s, GoRhino Dominator II steps, K&N cold air intake, blue LED interior dome light, white LED interior overhead lights, LEDGlow Blue interior lighting, LED license plate lights, front Fox 2.5 Coilover shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, rear Fox 2.0 adj resi's, Custom 3" Deaver J66 Leaf Springs, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Carbon XP windshield tint, FatMat sound deadening, back-up camera
    As mentioned, there is a mod. But personally, my truck never came with fogs so I'm actually running a whole new OEM fog kit with separate wiring and switch.

4. Sep 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    Oreo5

Oreo5 Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Tinting
    Roger that!

5. Sep 29, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    TRDtexasTaco

TRDtexasTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Billy shocks, Maxtrac spindels, AllPro standard leafs, BAMF shock relocation, King 2.5 smoothies
    Thanks to your write up I have DRLs !! I found when I was putting everything back together there was one little wire that connected to somthing. I didn't disconnect from anything though. Not sure if will hurt anything to leave it unplugged cause I couldn't find we're it should go. But everything works just fine still

6. Nov 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    ALS2000

ALS2000 2006 Access Cab

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    I did the DRL mod and it worked great UNTILL I did the "foglights anytime" mod. Now the DRL do not come on. Is there a way to have both work together?

7. Nov 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    ALS2000

ALS2000 2006 Access Cab

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    It was simply a hand brake issue - both DRL and Fog Lights do work.

8. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    I want DRL!
    Anybody out there who has them and doesnt want them, pm me and we can swap relays.

9. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Is anyone having any negative effects from doing the DTRL mod?
    I have heard of people's inner lenses melting form the heat of them being on all the time and/or fading the reflectors.

10. Nov 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Tacoma_Jon

Tacoma_Jon Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Thanks for the write up! I had seen a few tacomas with DRLs and wanted to do it.
    It took me about an hour to install due to plugs not wanting to come out easily.

I do have one question though. When my truck engine is off and I turn the key in the ignition so just the electrics are on I was noticing a humming or buzzing type noise coming from the front of my truck. I'm just wondering if that is normal after installing the new relay or if maybe I plugged something back in wrong?

11. Dec 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    tofreddy

tofreddy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Freddy
    Denver, co
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner, 4x4, 2.7
    Thank you so much for your post. I did work on my 2009 - 2.7 - 4x4 - Access Cab. It took me literally 32 minutes to have it completed and working. Here is a picture.
    Please, keep up the good advise.

Fredrick

Taco DRL.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  12. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Whiplash777

Whiplash777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Blue Double Cab Off Road
    Side steps, DRLs, DynoLock
    I've had this mod in place for 2 1/2 years with no issue. This just installs the OEM DRLs that come as a factory option on some Tacomas which wouldn't cause anything to melt unless you replaced the bulbs with brighter ones.

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Whiplash777

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much, yeah. You just need the non-DRL relay and a cap. If you haven't done this yet, I believe I still have the non-DRL parts. If you cover shipping, they're yours!

PM me if interested.

Whip

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Whiplash777

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    I know the fuel pump can kick in when you first turn the key to the ON position. There are other things that kick in too (like the HVAC blower). I would guess that if everything seems to work properly, you're probably fine and it's just a noise you didn't notice until you were really paying attention.

I did notice that the new DRL blinker relay is louder than the non-DRL relay (perhaps because of position to the side of the panel instead of behind).

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible if your truck blows up or creates a rift in the space/time continuum due to this mod being improperly installed. :)

Whip

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  15. Dec 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    TacoShredsn

TacoShredsn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 White PreRunner Supercharged M/T DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles, Raptor Style Satoshi Grille, BHLM, HID headlights, Rugged Ridge HID lights, LightForce light locks, custom fabricated off-road bumper, smoked tail lights w/LEDs, Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD double DIN w/ parking brake microbypass, 2 Kicker 12" subwoofers w/ Sony Xplod 800w amp, Moto Metal 951s, BFG AT 285s, GoRhino Dominator II steps, K&N cold air intake, blue LED interior dome light, white LED interior overhead lights, LEDGlow Blue interior lighting, LED license plate lights, front Fox 2.5 Coilover shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, rear Fox 2.0 adj resi's, Custom 3" Deaver J66 Leaf Springs, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Carbon XP windshield tint, FatMat sound deadening, back-up camera
    Alright so I was aware of this problem as well before I swapped relays. I have had the DRLs for about 4 months (since August). I have been watching the lenses closely and here's what I found:

The bulbs tend to run the hottest when the vehicle is idling and parked for a long period of time causing temps to rise and bubbles to start to form. When the vehicle is moving, the outside air keeps the headlights cooler making them less likely to melt. So the solution is to ALWAYS use your parking brake to disable the DRLs if you know your truck will be idling in one spot for a long period of time to prevent the lenses from getting too hot. In other words, don't let the DRLs run unless the truck is moving.

(I came to this conclusion because I let my girl run the A/C in the truck while I was out riding and I didn't have the parking brake on. Checked the lenses when I came back and noticed the first minor signs of bubbling.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    BruteTaco likes this.
  16. Dec 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The outside air is moving across the outer plastic, not the turn signal lens.
    The temperature inside does not change... trapped air is one of the best insulators available. There is some radiant heating of the contents of the housing, but there is no heat drawn from the turn signal lens by passing air.

Yours would have bubbled that day whether parked or moving.

BruteTaco likes this.
  17. Jan 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    outdeh

outdeh Active Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Just did the mod today on my 2010 and it turned out great. Took me longer than I hoped, struggling with the cramped quarters and a few plugs not wanting to budge, but otherwise it was easy. Thanks OP for the great write-up :yay:

18. Jan 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    anybody know if you can set up daytime runners with headlights on 2008? and how? is there OEM way such as this?

19. Jan 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Yes.

See the first post.

20. Jan 31, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    so I've checked the first post and it's mentioning the orange lights not the headlights. or maybe I'm missing it, which part does it specifically talk about the headlights being modded vs. the 4-ways?

Products Discussed in

To Top