1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody ever use this window tint?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by vpcustoms, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    vpcustoms

vpcustoms [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    fyrfytr112

fyrfytr112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4 TRD
    De-Badged, De-Flapped, Satoshied, Grill-Lights,3" Lift,BHLM,Color Matched Grille Surround,Black Roofed, Magnaflow, NFab Rear runner, LED Running lights, Ballistic Jesters
    It will be fine to tint over factory tint. Its a mess to peel off and retint.

3. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    3M makes great tint. Self install on the other hand.... ehhh.. If you can do it good for you, but I know I would mess it up :eek:

4. Apr 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Just to clear things up the factory tint is not a film tint it is in the glass and cannot be removed and will not affect putting tint over it. IMO window tinting is best to be left to the professionals. Good luck!

5. Apr 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    As stated above you can tint the smoked glass but you cant tint over tint film. Realise that 20% over the 20% smoked glass will look like 5% limo tint.

6. Apr 23, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    That is an incorrect statement.

You can put tint film over tint film, you just need to do it in stages.

Place one layer of tint on the glass and allow it to cure for at least 30 days. That will allow all of the moisture trapped under the tint to evaporate and the film to fully adhere to the glass.

Then you can put a second layer over the original layer.

It's not really a great thing to do, but it can be done.

I helped a buddy of mine do this many years ago to a Chevy Vega station wagon, and it was very dark inside. You could not see into the car at all from outside.

7. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I'm thinking about doing this myself and have seen the kits on e-bay (and elsewhere) which come pre-cut. I've done it in the past (some 20 years ago), so I know what I'm getting into.
    Here's some questions for you:
    I'm only looking at putting the 35% tint on the driver and passenger front windows to match the factory rear tint on my 2011 AC.
    Would removing the door panels be an advantage when using this pre-cut film?? Is the film supposed to go down below the wiper on the door panel where removing it would make application easier??
    And finally, how far up does the top of the film go to the top of the windows in a pre-cut kit?? I like my film to go up to within 1/8" from the top lip of the window.
    One suggestion for you if you've still got film peeling: Use clear nail polish or laquer along the edge of the film to make it adhere to the window. At least that's what we used about 20 years ago...

8. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:44 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    Excellent. I was leery about buying pre-cut as I wasn't sure if the size would be too small around the outside edges and where it's tucked under the seals (both below and the sides). From what you're saying, they give a generous amount for the tucking as well as going to the top edge.
    I just need to figure out if I'm going to purchase the 3m or the Llumar film.
    From what I understand, the Llumar is the best with the 3m running a close second. They're about the same price as far as e-bay goes with the pre-cut film.
    I'm definitely going to do this now. Thanks!!

Products Discussed in

To Top