Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How Differential Gear works

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
How Differential Gear works

Short Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40ZB...eature=related

Long Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Jhr...eature=related

probably the easiest and most informational video explaination of how a differential gear works.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
For a fun explanation, rent My Cousin Vinny... It rocks!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
TmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TmecTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
Dude if they threw in how lockers worked and all the different types, oh man would that be confusing hahaha. And a long video at that. Cool video tho.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmecTaco79 View Post
Dude if they threw in how lockers worked and all the different types, oh man would that be confusing hahaha. And a long video at that. Cool video tho.
Well a locker is basically like not having a differential at all... now a LSD is a bit more complicated
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This should be a Sticky...I'm gonna PM a MOD...this could save everyone a headache or 2 with noobs
Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
TmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TmecTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
Well a locker is basically like not having a differential at all... now a LSD is a bit more complicated
Ya but it's still called a differential but I get what you're saying. And x2 on the sticky
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmecTaco79 View Post
Ya but it's still called a differential but I get what you're saying. And x2 on the sticky
yeah... a locking differential... simulates the lack of a differential
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
This should be a Sticky...I'm gonna PM a MOD...this could save everyone a headache or 2 with noobs
Not like they'll read it anyway
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
go for it I agree... atleast for how a open and locked differential work
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Repost but the more that people know this the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
For a fun explanation, rent My Cousin Vinny... It rocks!
BOOM! A muthafucken bullet to the head.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Repost but the more that people know this the better.

BOOM! A muthafucken bullet to the head.
damn it... where?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Good info!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn it... where?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...planation.html
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
YAY! my first sticky

I hope this helps a lot of people out
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YAY! my first sticky

I hope this helps a lot of people out
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
oledragoon is on a distinguished road

Army: Cavalry Scout RVN, Cav Troop Cdr Desert Storm
Name: Don
oledragoon's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any mechanical issue with using the DITY mod to use the rear locker anytime. That is high range, and more than the " recommended speed". We are moving drilling rigs in WV, there are terrible roads up here, and where they set these rigs to drill are more often, up a goat trail, on the side of a bluff. It would be nice to flip that switch, and get the extra traction. As of now, I've been switching to low etc. I just don't want to destroy the locker components. Thanks in advance for any comments
Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oledragoon View Post
Is there any mechanical issue with using the DITY mod to use the rear locker anytime. That is high range, and more than the " recommended speed". We are moving drilling rigs in WV, there are terrible roads up here, and where they set these rigs to drill are more often, up a goat trail, on the side of a bluff. It would be nice to flip that switch, and get the extra traction. As of now, I've been switching to low etc. I just don't want to destroy the locker components. Thanks in advance for any comments

Just like the grey wire MOD for 1st gens, I don't think it would be an issue as long as you just engage locker off pavement, after a year I've had no issues at all with my E-locker & its just so nice to drop it into 4H w/locked diff at 20 or 30mph if I start to slog some. & of course I wouldn't recommend intially engaging ANY locking diff. at any speed above a crawl (you are meshing 2 spinning gears after all )