1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add a Fuse/Circuit

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JWCWV, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    JWCWV

JWCWV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab
    Ok, first off I am a novice when it comes to electrical mods. This weekend I installed a Pioneer 3200BT complete with bypass switch and steering wheel controls. This was the main part of my project but I would also like to hardwire my GPS and Radar Detector in order to clean up the inside of my truck. I have aftermarket hardwire kits for each, but I am a little unsure about safe power sources. I have researched the Add a Fuse (fuse tap) a little which seems to be the easiest and most efficient route to go. I have a few of questions though.

1. Can I wire both kits to a single fuse tap? Or, will this cause an overload?
    2. If not, is it advisable to use 2 separate fuse taps on the same fuse box?
    3. If so, what size fuse would one recommend?

Thanks for any information, and feel free to provide as much detail on the pros/cons of these as you like!

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    1. I'm not a wiring expert, but I would not do this myself.

2. This I would do, and have done. You should have plenty of empty fuse slots to choose from. The trick is finding the ones that work with the ignition on only. But that also depends on how YOU want your setup to work. I hard wired my radar detector and Sirius radio so the power source is off when the ignition is off, that way I don't have to turn each device on or off individually.

3. Each device has it's own electrical load, so you should check each one and use the size fuse that is needed for each. In this instance, bigger is not always better.

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    JWCWV

JWCWV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab
    Thanks for the input! It appears that this fuse tap accesses one of the empty slots you are talking about, so if you didn't use one of these how exactly to you utilize the empty slot?

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    I would like to tap-in a circuit for my future bed lights

The lights will draw approx 9.16 amp.

From the above picture, I see that it would be ok for me to tap into the GREEN *TAIL* unused circuit. Is that right?

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    You mean only active when tail lights are on? ? ?

Well this is exactly what I want if this is the case because as I know myself, I'll forget the lights on if I don't do this :)

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Ok it's perfect then. No auto-off but there is still less chances for me to forget the lights on with this parttern. Also, I don't have to have the keys in the ignition, I just have to turn the parking lights on, so that's perfect.

There is just one thing though, I went to my local auto store (canadian tire in canada) and they didn't have the mini fuse add a circuit, only the bigger model fuse. Anyone in canada knows who other than Canadian Tire hold the add a circuit?

I even went to a local electrical/electronic store and they don't have them.

jammer likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    Just do you know you can also piggyback those add a fuses.

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    ^ i meant "just so you know". Stupid phone wont let me edit

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Far to be an expert in electricity. What is that piggyback thing? Is it a method or just another type of add-a-fuse.
    And llol yeah, Im also on the phone...

10. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    EricGagne

EricGagne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I'm in Montreal and I've been trying to find some all day. I just found a Canadian company that makes it.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/products/fuses_atm_accessories_981.php

To find where to buy them check that list and contact the sales agent closes to you. I'm gonna send emails to the ones listed for Quebec and try to get a few of them for myself.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/salesagents.php

11. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    I finally found the add-a-circuit at auto part stores here in st-jerome area. NAPA, BENSON, wathever all had them, but wanted to charge me between 30 and 40$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finnally got it from an autopart store with no packaging and no included fuses for 23$ with tax. Best I could get. Canadian tire should have them, but went to 2 of them and no one had the mini-fuse model.

This shit costs 3$ on the web ... I was pretty amazed at how much profit they make on this item.

12. Apr 28, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I haven't gone there to check yet but if they do it's not on their web site (or they're called differently) and a few members here have said that they only have them for ATO fuses, not ATM.

13. Nov 11, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    thanks for the information, i just installed one and it works awesome

14. Nov 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    For anyone looking for a mini add-a-circuit in Canada... The larger Canadian Tire stores have them - stk # 020-1615-4

15. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I've got a question regarding the add-a-fuse and apologize if this is long winded as I have fairly limited electrical knowledge.....

Slot #2 (or "b") is the fuse for the accessory, and slot #1 (or "a") is the original size fuse for the original slot. Instructions for the add-a-fuse tell you to put the fuse you require (in my case - 2A) in slot #2 and plug it into the fuse panel to make sure it works - IF IT DOES'NT, YOU NEED TO ROTATE THE ADD-A-FUSE. This is telling me that there is a diode or something which is allowing current to flow only one way.

Here's my question - With a fuse in slot #2 ONLY, the add-fuse must be installed correctly for it to work.
    With a fuse in both slots #1 & #2, there is juice to both slots no matter which way the AAF is installed.
    How is this possible and why does having a fuse in slot #1 allow juice to flow to slot #2??

If it's plugged in INCORRECTLY and the fuse in slot #1 burns, there will suddenly be no power to the fuse in slot #2.
    If it's plugged in CORRECTLY and fuse #1 burns, then fuse #2 will still have juice.

I guess the question is this: What kind of problems or damage would result by plugging the AAF in incorrectly if anything??

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I believe the way the Add-a-fuse works is this:
    You have a power input side, power goes to the supply side of slot 1 and the supply side of slot 2. From there, power goes across slot one and back to the fuse panel to power whatever it's intended to power. In slot 2, power goes across the fuse and out to your new accessory. This means there is a solid connection between the 2 supply sides of both slots and there is a broken connection between the output sides (one goes back to the fuse panel, one goes to your accessory). When you install the AAF backwards, power must travel across the slot one fuse, then it splits, part of the power going to the fuse panel to power whatever it's supposed to, the other part going through slot 2 and to whatever you added. This means the slot 1 fuse is acting as the fuse for both circuits which means if slot 1 burns out, slot 2 will no longer get power.

If you plug the AAF in incorrectly, that just means the slot 1 fuse is carrying the load for both circuits. Worst case, you blow out the slot 1 fuse.

Wandering Wilbur likes this.
  17. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    So in this scenario, slot #2 is nothing but a conduit - not a fuse - and slot #1 is the fuse??

18. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It depends, if the fuse in slot 2 is smaller than the fuse in slot 1, then it will still act as a fuse. In your case if a 10A fuse is in slot 1, a 2A fuse in slot 2 will still downstep the power it will allow to pass. It would still be possible to blow the 2A fuse in slot 2 without blowing the 10A in slot 1.

If you have the opposite, a 2A in slot 1 and a 10A in slot 2, then it is simply a conduit. There's no way you'd ever blow the slot 2 fuse because the smaller, slot 1 fuse would blow first, cutting the power.

19. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Here's why I'm asking:

I'm actually using a blank spot under my dash. The problem is that it's located in the top row of the fuse panel, and to install the AAF correctly, the wire must be on the top side, which means I'm making a tight bend on the AAF wire to fit in this spot. I don't like bending it this tight, but want to keep this in a blank location, and this is the only blank that has power (thanks Toyota).

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Stay in this blank location, but put two 2A fuses in the AAF and rotate it so the wire is located on the bottom and no longer bent. This way I'm still fused for 2A and if either of them ever burns, it will be the weaker of the two. By staying in this blank location, the only thing on the circuit is my AAF and I don't care that fuse #1 is covering both slots on the AAF.

Is my logic pretty sound??

20. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I see what you're saying. Slot 1 doesn't actually power anything, it's just letting power through for the accessory added in slot 2, right?

If that's the case, I don't think there's an issue with that, at least none that come to mind.

If you want to get fancy, you could always run your accessory to the back side of the fuse panel and just stick a fuse in the blank spot for power. Very clean, no AAF required, just means tearing apart the dash... :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top