Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Add a Fuse/Circuit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
JWCWV is on a distinguished road
JWCWV's Tacoma Gallery
Add a Fuse/Circuit

Ok, first off I am a novice when it comes to electrical mods. This weekend I installed a Pioneer 3200BT complete with bypass switch and steering wheel controls. This was the main part of my project but I would also like to hardwire my GPS and Radar Detector in order to clean up the inside of my truck. I have aftermarket hardwire kits for each, but I am a little unsure about safe power sources. I have researched the Add a Fuse (fuse tap) a little which seems to be the easiest and most efficient route to go. I have a few of questions though.

1. Can I wire both kits to a single fuse tap? Or, will this cause an overload?
2. If not, is it advisable to use 2 separate fuse taps on the same fuse box?
3. If so, what size fuse would one recommend?

Thanks for any information, and feel free to provide as much detail on the pros/cons of these as you like!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
1. I'm not a wiring expert, but I would not do this myself.

2. This I would do, and have done. You should have plenty of empty fuse slots to choose from. The trick is finding the ones that work with the ignition on only. But that also depends on how YOU want your setup to work. I hard wired my radar detector and Sirius radio so the power source is off when the ignition is off, that way I don't have to turn each device on or off individually.

3. Each device has it's own electrical load, so you should check each one and use the size fuse that is needed for each. In this instance, bigger is not always better.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
JWCWV is on a distinguished road
JWCWV's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input! It appears that this fuse tap accesses one of the empty slots you are talking about, so if you didn't use one of these how exactly to you utilize the empty slot?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to tap-in a circuit for my future bed lights

The lights will draw approx 9.16 amp.

From the above picture, I see that it would be ok for me to tap into the GREEN *TAIL* unused circuit. Is that right?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
I would like to tap-in a circuit for my future bed lights

The lights will draw approx 9.16 amp.

From the above picture, I see that it would be ok for me to tap into the GREEN *TAIL* unused circuit. Is that right?
Oh but of course, but it's only active when TAILS are selected.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Oh but of course, but it's only active when TAILS are selected.
You mean only active when tail lights are on? ? ?

Well this is exactly what I want if this is the case because as I know myself, I'll forget the lights on if I don't do this
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You mean only active when tail lights are on? ? ?

Well this is exactly what I want if this is the case because as I know myself, I'll forget the lights on if I don't do this
That won't matter as much, for the circuit goes of as soon as your vehicle is OFF. But if you select TAILS with vehicle OFF then no auto-off. On another note, the add-a-circuit in that size is meant for 10a or less circuit.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
That won't matter as much, for the circuit goes of as soon as your vehicle is OFF. But if you select TAILS with vehicle OFF then no auto-off. On another note, the add-a-circuit in that size is meant for 10a or less circuit.
Ok it's perfect then. No auto-off but there is still less chances for me to forget the lights on with this parttern. Also, I don't have to have the keys in the ignition, I just have to turn the parking lights on, so that's perfect.

There is just one thing though, I went to my local auto store (canadian tire in canada) and they didn't have the mini fuse add a circuit, only the bigger model fuse. Anyone in canada knows who other than Canadian Tire hold the add a circuit?

I even went to a local electrical/electronic store and they don't have them.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
Just do you know you can also piggyback those add a fuses.
Far to be an expert in electricity. What is that piggyback thing? Is it a method or just another type of add-a-fuse.
And llol yeah, Im also on the phone...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is just one thing though, I went to my local auto store (canadian tire in canada) and they didn't have the mini fuse add a circuit, only the bigger model fuse. Anyone in canada knows who other than Canadian Tire hold the add a circuit?

I even went to a local electrical/electronic store and they don't have them.
I'm in Montreal and I've been trying to find some all day. I just found a Canadian company that makes it.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/product...sories_981.php

To find where to buy them check that list and contact the sales agent closes to you. I'm gonna send emails to the ones listed for Quebec and try to get a few of them for myself.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/salesagents.php
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I'm in Montreal and I've been trying to find some all day. I just found a Canadian company that makes it.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/product...sories_981.php

To find where to buy them check that list and contact the sales agent closes to you. I'm gonna send emails to the ones listed for Quebec and try to get a few of them for myself.

http://www.picocanada.com/en/salesagents.php
I finally found the add-a-circuit at auto part stores here in st-jerome area. NAPA, BENSON, wathever all had them, but wanted to charge me between 30 and 40$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finnally got it from an autopart store with no packaging and no included fuses for 23$ with tax. Best I could get. Canadian tire should have them, but went to 2 of them and no one had the mini-fuse model.

This shit costs 3$ on the web ... I was pretty amazed at how much profit they make on this item.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Don't they have canadian tire in montreal? They sell them there.
I haven't gone there to check yet but if they do it's not on their web site (or they're called differently) and a few members here have said that they only have them for ATO fuses, not ATM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone looking for a mini add-a-circuit in Canada... The larger Canadian Tire stores have them - stk # 020-1615-4
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a question regarding the add-a-fuse and apologize if this is long winded as I have fairly limited electrical knowledge.....

Slot #2 (or "b") is the fuse for the accessory, and slot #1 (or "a") is the original size fuse for the original slot. Instructions for the add-a-fuse tell you to put the fuse you require (in my case - 2A) in slot #2 and plug it into the fuse panel to make sure it works - IF IT DOES'NT, YOU NEED TO ROTATE THE ADD-A-FUSE. This is telling me that there is a diode or something which is allowing current to flow only one way.

Here's my question - With a fuse in slot #2 ONLY, the add-fuse must be installed correctly for it to work.
With a fuse in both slots #1 & #2, there is juice to both slots no matter which way the AAF is installed.
How is this possible and why does having a fuse in slot #1 allow juice to flow to slot #2??

If it's plugged in INCORRECTLY and the fuse in slot #1 burns, there will suddenly be no power to the fuse in slot #2.
If it's plugged in CORRECTLY and fuse #1 burns, then fuse #2 will still have juice.

I guess the question is this: What kind of problems or damage would result by plugging the AAF in incorrectly if anything??
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
I've got a question regarding the add-a-fuse and apologize if this is long winded as I have fairly limited electrical knowledge.....

Slot #2 (or "b") is the fuse for the accessory, and slot #1 (or "a") is the original size fuse for the original slot. Instructions for the add-a-fuse tell you to put the fuse you require (in my case - 2A) in slot #2 and plug it into the fuse panel to make sure it works - IF IT DOES'NT, YOU NEED TO ROTATE THE ADD-A-FUSE. This is telling me that there is a diode or something which is allowing current to flow only one way.

Here's my question - With a fuse in slot #2 ONLY, the add-fuse must be installed correctly for it to work.
With a fuse in both slots #1 & #2, there is juice to both slots no matter which way the AAF is installed.
How is this possible and why does having a fuse in slot #1 allow juice to flow to slot #2??

If it's plugged in INCORRECTLY and the fuse in slot #1 burns, there will suddenly be no power to the fuse in slot #2.
If it's plugged in CORRECTLY and fuse #1 burns, then fuse #2 will still have juice.

I guess the question is this: What kind of problems or damage would result by plugging the AAF in incorrectly if anything??
I believe the way the Add-a-fuse works is this:
You have a power input side, power goes to the supply side of slot 1 and the supply side of slot 2. From there, power goes across slot one and back to the fuse panel to power whatever it's intended to power. In slot 2, power goes across the fuse and out to your new accessory. This means there is a solid connection between the 2 supply sides of both slots and there is a broken connection between the output sides (one goes back to the fuse panel, one goes to your accessory). When you install the AAF backwards, power must travel across the slot one fuse, then it splits, part of the power going to the fuse panel to power whatever it's supposed to, the other part going through slot 2 and to whatever you added. This means the slot 1 fuse is acting as the fuse for both circuits which means if slot 1 burns out, slot 2 will no longer get power.

If you plug the AAF in incorrectly, that just means the slot 1 fuse is carrying the load for both circuits. Worst case, you blow out the slot 1 fuse.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
So in this scenario, slot #2 is nothing but a conduit - not a fuse - and slot #1 is the fuse??
It depends, if the fuse in slot 2 is smaller than the fuse in slot 1, then it will still act as a fuse. In your case if a 10A fuse is in slot 1, a 2A fuse in slot 2 will still downstep the power it will allow to pass. It would still be possible to blow the 2A fuse in slot 2 without blowing the 10A in slot 1.

If you have the opposite, a 2A in slot 1 and a 10A in slot 2, then it is simply a conduit. There's no way you'd ever blow the slot 2 fuse because the smaller, slot 1 fuse would blow first, cutting the power.

Products Discussed in this Thread