Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Differential breather Questions

Old 09-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Differential breather Questions

I've read at least a half dozen write ups on the differential breather mod. I have a couple questions, though.

1. Can a differential breather go bad?
2. I've seen a couple write ups that suggested using a fuel filter on the extension as opposed to the breather. Has anyone gone this route? If you did, what kind of filter did you use and where did you get it?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have used fuel filters before. Just get one that fits the hose you are useing as the creather extension. Personally, I think a filter is better as it prevents any crap from getting into the gears. A regular breather is simmilar to a flapper valve.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have used fuel filters before. Just get one that fits the hose you are useing as the creather extension. Personally, I think a filter is better as it prevents any crap from getting into the gears. A regular breather is simmilar to a flapper valve.
Thanks Chris. I read that using a filter instead of the breather allows the differential to "breathe" easier preventing any pressure which in turn can help prevent the oil seals from leaking.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Would you leave this filter open ended or put some sort of cover on it. I would imagine it would be left open ended.
Open ended I believe.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
God, I need to extend my breathers...
x2! I need to replace both outer axle seals (they're leaking), so I figured the breather mod will help prevent me from having to do it again anytime soon. I have the seals and 1/2 the stuff for the breather extension. I just have to get to the dealership for the union fitting.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I extended my rear diff but decided against my tranny and t-case.
Was that in one of the other threads? I think I read that today.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
anyone got part numbers for what us first gen guys need to extend the front and rear diffs, tranny and transfer case as well?? i really wanna do mine before the next meet, and tigerfan00 will probably wanna do his too.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
anyone got part numbers for what us first gen guys need to extend the front and rear diffs, tranny and transfer case as well?? i really wanna do mine before the next meet, and tigerfan00 will probably wanna do his too.
I dunno if it is the same for the tranny and transfer case, but for the rear breather, you'll need:

8ft 1/4" rubber hose
2 small hose clamps
1 "union" - Toyota part# 9040451026
original breather or substitute a fuel filter that will fit the hose

I believe the front diff is already extended up to th fender under the hood.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I dunno if it is the same for the tranny and transfer case, but for the rear breather, you'll need:

8ft 1/4" rubber hose
2 small hose clamps
1 "union" - Toyota part# 9040451026
original breather or substitute a fuel filter that will fit the hose

I believe the front diff is already extended up to th fender under the hood.
alright,cool man. i may pick that up tomorrow since the dealer is replacing my steering rack under warranty. i already have quite a few small fuel filters here with me.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
alright,cool man. i may pick that up tomorrow since the dealer is replacing my steering rack under warranty. i already have quite a few small fuel filters here with me.
i know a lot of guys tend to use that yellow coiled air hose as it will flex a bit and not pop when your suspension flexes out
Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i know a lot of guys tend to use that yellow coiled air hose as it will flex a bit and not pop when your suspension flexes out
i think i'll stick to the regular fuel line myself, you can make it long enough, and its pretty tough and abrasion resistant already, plus its probably a bit cheaper.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i think i'll stick to the regular fuel line myself, you can make it long enough, and its pretty tough and abrasion resistant already, plus its probably a bit cheaper.

yeah but whats the point of a functional modification if the whole world cant see it and wonder wtf its for?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Just under $10 for 8ft of the black rubber fuel line at Advanced.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Just under $10 for 8ft of the black rubber fuel line at Advanced.
definitely cheaper than the hose that jeff mentioned, and easily replaceable.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
yeah but whats the point of a functional modification if the whole world cant see it and wonder wtf its for?
ok, i'll install regular fuel line on my taco, you can use the yellow curly shit!!!