Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck started with no oil!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #41
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Really? 3 pages of this stuff over the truck running w/o oil for a minute.

Your motor is fine.

OMG!!!!!!...no oil for 30 seconds....NEW MOTOR!!!!!!....Chill out.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #42
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

Your motor is fine.

Well, when My engine was on it's side and running for about 1 minute like that. I shut it off then when I tried to restart it (correct orientation this time) it was seized. So yes running an engine with out proper lubrication is very bad for it. If you think its fine, then try it for your self and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #43
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Well, when My engine was on it's side and running for about 1 minute like that.
What? Engine on it's side? Huh?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #44
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What? Engine on it's side? Huh?
Flop
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #45
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
a engine with no oil is like a slip and slide with no water on it, the minor details right?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #46
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I watched a tech today put the lugs on a car with the Air impact! Some ahole at Frank Toyota did that to my front tires.
We did that all the time at our Dealership. However, we had torque bars added to the front of the impact wrench so the nuts were NEVER over torqued.

They are very convenient and make the job quicker for the technician.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #47

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
We did that all the time at our Dealership. However, we had torque bars added to the front of the impact wrench so the nuts were NEVER over torqued.

They are very convenient and make the job quicker for the technician.
Didn't look like he had those on. unless is was like an inch long, I've only seen 8" ones. I watched a guy at discount and he had the bar and was slow with the impact, but this toyota guy just hit the trigger.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #48
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Didn't look like he had those on. unless is was like an inch long, I've only seen 8" ones. I watched a guy at discount and he had the bar and was slow with the impact, but this toyota guy just hit the trigger.
YIKES! I hope he didn't stretch your threads, or bend your rim. Did you have him back it off to inspect it?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #49
Camo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Drew
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your motor is fine.

ok if its fine let me propose a course of action for you... go out side drain the oil out of your truck then run it for a minute. then see if you give a shit.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo23 View Post
ok if its fine let me propose a course of action for you... go out side drain the oil out of your truck then run it for a minute. then see if you give a shit.
You and SB really don't wanna play this game....

You 2 are gonna look bad after all the shit I tell you about that I've seen happen regarding restarting cars after oil changes without oil in the them.

I'm gonna look bad b/c of the shit I've seen other people do and how often this kinda crap really happens.

Don't play it. OPs truck ran for less than 1 minute without oil. He's fine. He needs to quit overreacting and trying to get shit for free.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #51

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
YIKES! I hope he didn't stretch your threads, or bend your rim. Did you have him back it off to inspect it?
It was on a different car. I just saw it from about 20ft away. This was at Larry H. Miller Liberty Toyota in Colorado Springs.

Frank Toyota did this same thing (way over troqued lugs) on my front tires. I know this because I took my truck over there for my free oil change (had a coupon) and they started to rotate my tires (started because they weren't rotated when I got it back). So about a week later I go to re-torque my lugs and I have to literly jump up and down on my 24" breaker bar (I was about 190lbs at the time) to break the fronts lose.
I haven't inspected them yet,but they need rotated again (I had discount do it 2 weeks prior to bringing it to Toyota and re-torqued them a day before toyota saw it) so I will have them inspect the lugs.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #52
Camo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You 2 are gonna look bad after all the shit I tell you about that I've seen happen regarding restarting cars after oil changes without oil in the them.

I'm gonna look bad b/c of the shit I've seen other people do and how often this kinda crap really happens.

Don't play it. OPs truck ran for less than 1 minute without oil. He's fine. He needs to quit overreating and trying to get shit for free.
i could care less if you make me "look" bad. i dont give a shit how often or how many times you see this happen. I dont care about your personal expericences you know why? because i wouldnt want it to happen to my truck, i would hope to think you wouldnt either. and you know what, the OP took his truck to a TOYOTA DEALERSHIP, their techs should be smart enough to put oil back in the truck. so they should be held resposible for any damage they may or may not have caused.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #53

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Don't play it. OPs truck ran for less than 1 minute without oil. He's fine. He needs to quit overreating and trying to get shit for free.
Yes I do. Wana know why? Because I have real life experience with this kind of thing (as I stated earlier).
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #54
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo23 View Post
i could care less if you make me "look" bad. i dont give a shit how often or how many times you see this happen. I dont care about your personal expericences you know why? because i wouldnt want it to happen to my truck, i would hope to think you wouldnt either. and you know what, the OP took his truck to a TOYOTA DEALERSHIP, their techs should be smart enough to put oil back in the truck. so they should be held resposible for any damage they may or may not have caused.
yes, the dealership should be responsible for any current or future damage that the tech may have caused
Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #55
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
In reality, the engine is just fine. The problem is you can't SEE inside the engine to know for sure, and that causes a lot of anxiety. Don't blame you there. But when you drain the oil, there is still residual lubrication in the engine. It's not like very single drop is in the pan. Probably the best you can argue for is a 7yr/100k warranty. But if you're concerned about the dealer, do you really want them pulling the entire friggen engine & replacing it, as some of these guys are suggesting?! I see room for a whole lot more problems there!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #56
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
In reality, the engine is just fine. The problem is you can't SEE inside the engine to know for sure, and that causes a lot of anxiety. Don't blame you there. But when you drain the oil, there is still residual lubrication in the engine. It's not like very single drop is in the pan. Probably the best you can argue for is a 7yr/100k warranty. But if you're concerned about the dealer, do you really want them pulling the entire friggen engine & replacing it, as some of these guys are suggesting?! I see room for a whole lot more problems there!

But when you let the motor run for a minute, twice, before realizing that there is no oil, whatever residual lubrication that might be in there will heat up and decrease in viscosity... and more than likely not be enough to keep the motor lubricated.

And you are right, the problem is you CAN'T see inside the motor... so there is no way to tell that there isn't any damage either.

F*ck them. Their mistake. Get your new motor/truck. That is inexcusable for a kid in high school auto, let alone a Dealership Technician.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #57

Marines:
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5Thirty View Post
But when you let the motor run for a minute, twice, before realizing that there is no oil, whatever residual lubrication that might be in there will heat up and decrease in viscosity... and more than likely not be enough to keep the motor lubricated.

And you are right, the problem is you CAN'T see inside the motor... so there is no way to tell that there isn't any damage either.

F*ck them. Their mistake. Get your new motor/truck. That is inexcusable for a kid in high school auto, let alone a Dealership Technician.
EXACTLY, no excuses.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #58
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5Thirty View Post

Inexcuseable? Yes. But they're not going to give him a new truck. And as for a new motor ... who do you think will install it? A dealer. Toyota will insist on it, and disconnecting, then dropping in and reconnecting everything leaves a whole lot of room for additional things to go wrong. A whole lot of room.

Check compression on all the cylinders, and then shoot for a free extended warranty. 7 years / 100,000 miles is plenty of time for any actual damage to present itself, if it's there.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #59

Marines:
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Inexcuseable? Yes. But they're not going to give him a new truck. And as for a new motor ... who do you think will install it? A dealer. Toyota will insist on it, and disconnecting, then dropping in and reconnecting everything leaves a whole lot of room for additional things to go wrong. A whole lot of room.

Check compression on all the cylinders, and then shoot for a free extended warranty. 7 years / 100,000 miles is plenty of time for any actual damage to present itself, if it's there.
as for the motor swap, me and my bestfriend have done 4 swaps in previous truck he has owned and have yet to have one mess up, so if a couple of 19 yr olds can do it, they shouldnt have any problems, but then again they did fuck it up to begin with.

as for the warranty i would have that as a backup plan, but once again just a 19 yr olds opinion.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #60
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Have the Master Technicians do the install since they're the ones that should be certified and knowing WTF they're doing.

I'd shoot for a new motor with the extended warranty. Cheaper for them when compared to pursuing a new truck.