1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Drop/Gear Oil Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by OffroadToy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I"ve never heard this mentioned here... When adding gear oil to the front differential would a differential drop throw off the quanity required? If so would it be best to put in the 1.6qt called out or add till it just starts to come out the fill hole?

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    No

That's assuming you're using the proper FILL hole. If you are using the proper fill hole, pour it in until the oil comes out.

Make sure the vehicle is parked on flat surface.

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Thanks Janster. I was curious because the drop rotates the differential as opposed to it being lowered straight down. I assume I'm using the proper fill hole...are there more than one? All I see are 2 plugs with the 10mm hex head...one for draining and the other for filling.

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I don't have any experience with the diff drop myself, but I did look it up....and I didn't see any pictures or info where it rotates the diff - they use pucks and they appear to all be the same size. Rotating the front diff would have an affect on the front driveshaft angles.

What kit are you using?

Here's a how-to on the front diff. Only one fill & one drain plug.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ront-diff-transfer-case-oil-change-howto.html

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The diff spacers were from a 3" lift kit I had on. Since then I changed to a 2" lift...might not even need the diff spacers now but I figure anything to help the cv angles can't hurt. I plan on changing to a better lift in the future once the job situation gets better.
    I had allready read that thread from the link you provided. I was surprised to see the drain plug torque at 48ft lbs and the fill plug at 29...I had made a copy from another write-up stating both plugs get torqued to 29 ft lbs. Looks like the Chiltons manual also says 48ft lbs for the drain plug.

6. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't recommend anyone overfill & just assume it'll puke out the breather.

If the breather ever gets clogged or too much pressure builds up inside, you can blow out your seals.

Products Discussed in

To Top