Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Help steering problem

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Help steering problem

The other day me an my friend replaced my steering rack bushing. Right after we where done my power steering was really hard. We saw that air go into the line so we flushed out the power steering. This made it a little easier to turn the wheel but still a big problem... When you are in a turn an let go of the steering wheel it will not snap back to center on its own. You have to pull it back to straight by hand.

I went an talked to a mechanic an he said that the caster can be off? I dont know what that is exactly i understand it but i dont know how it works on my tuck. I am not the best mechanic so maybe someone can help me out into understanding how it all works.

I think i am just going to take it too a shop an have them fix it. Unless its a simple fix so anyone who has any input that would be great!

Thanks, Bryce
Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
To fully get rid of the air, hold it against the stops repeatedly.

Toe is controlled by the tie rods, camber is how much the top of the tire is in or out compared to the bottom of the tire (leaning vertically in/out) Caster is a measure of where the pivot point is on the steering; it's a measure of how far back is the lower ball joint compared to the top of the upper ball joint. Imagine a caster wheel, it follows the direction of travel.

Caster has no effect on a stationary vehicle!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

When stationary, the steering shouldn't come back to center by itself. When rolling, it should.
If everything worked before you did work on it, and now it's messed up, go back over your work. You messed something up. Wrong parts? Tightened wrong bolt? Who knows what you'll find
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Who ever said anything about the vehicle being stationary?
Who said it wasn't? It wasn't specified. I was covering all the bases