Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

6 sp manual downshifting effect mpg?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #41
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
For those of you experts that think using the gearbox and clutch to slow your car is an effective use of the machinery, keep going. Your repair shop thanks you.
210k Miles on my 5spd Honda Accord I owned before my Tacoma, no clutch problems.
87k on my 6spd Tacoma to date...no clutch problems.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #42
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks...I spewed coffee out of my nose.
Are you all so obtuse as to think I don't know what my 6speed Taco does when I let off the gas?
Apparently so.
Thanks for the education.
For those of you experts that think using the gearbox and clutch to slow your car is an effective use of the machinery, keep going. Your repair shop thanks you.
In re Formula Ford=POS, you lack the intelligence to know what you don't know.
I love you idiots.
Also, apparently you DON'T know what your 6speed taco does when you let off the gas! Keep up the attitude, really works well for you, jackass.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #43
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Also, apparently you DON'T know what your 6speed taco does when you let off the gas! Keep up the attitude, really works well for you, jackass.
Hey, No name calling! Poopoo head
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #44
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Hey, No name calling! Poopoo head
Yeah, you're right. Hard not to get annoyed at people whose undeserved arrogance makes me of all people look humble, especially when they're not only arrogant even whilst not being that smart or wonderful as people, but also happen to be wrong while simultaneously calling other people stupid.

Not that I'm talking about anybody in particular, here.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #45
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Some short fuses in this thread. Easy on the name calling, folks.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #46
whoareyou133 is on a distinguished road
whoareyou133's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudhawk View Post
I'd much rather buy new brake pads than a new clutch
AMEN to that!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou133 View Post
AMEN to that!
Who are you?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #48
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
You wont save any real mpg in the time going to a light, the savings in mpg is in steady speeds and not using the brakes (coasting)....in SAFE methods.
In the big scheme of things what WILL save you gas is getting lights that you can coast too , and end up going through at 10 or 20 mph.Every time you use the brakes you throw out mpg , this is why many hybrids incorperate regenerative braking ... to eliminate the biggest mpg waster around town....braking /stopping.
Downshifting , injectors ,rpms and all that wont have a big result +/- on the mpg. Yes, they WILL effect it some for the 2-7 seconds while you coast, but wont really add up to ,say 2 mpg savings. Perhaps more like .1 or .2 realisticly. We cant really quantify 12 lights in 4 miles and G-force of stopping over distance x vs mpg, so why bother.
Coast if you can to a light, downshift if you have time and are at low or moderate rpm, it wont cost you anything leading to the shop.

I wont bother with higher rpm shifting discussion here,....different thread that has endless re-quote potential and just isnt worth it ,also has no real benefit at a stoplight to stop.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
You wont save any real mpg in the time going to a light, the savings in mpg is in steady speeds and not using the brakes (coasting)....in SAFE methods.
In the big scheme of things what WILL save you gas is getting lights that you can coast too , and end up going through at 10 or 20 mph.Every time you use the brakes you throw out mpg , this is why many hybrids incorperate regenerative braking ... to eliminate the biggest mpg waster around town....braking /stopping.
Downshifting , injectors ,rpms and all that wont have a big result +/- on the mpg. Yes, they WILL effect it some for the 2-7 seconds while you coast, but wont really add up to ,say 2 mpg savings. Perhaps more like .1 or .2 realisticly. We cant really quantify 12 lights in 4 miles and G-force of stopping over distance x vs mpg, so why bother.
Coast if you can to a light, downshift if you have time and are at low or moderate rpm, it wont cost you anything leading to the shop.

I wont bother with higher rpm shifting discussion here,....different thread that has endless re-quote potential and just isnt worth it ,also has no real benefit at a stoplight to stop.
x2
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #50
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
for me, i seem to average at best 16mpg or just under. doesnt really matter if i downshift or not. if it does, only about a couple mpgs or so. i think 04-08 tacomas (manuals) only get around 16-17mpg, vs the newer ones? those are around 18-22 i think.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #51
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I like coasting in the left lane to a red light.... when I see a BUS stopped on the other side . Always some hotshot-tard trying to pass and I just trolled him into the wait line behind the bus lol. I get 1-2 a week doin that.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #52
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, since you're a genius, I won't bother pointing out the ridiculous innaccuracies in your post.
No, I can't ignor them.
number one, you can't shift into second from 70mph.
Number two, you don't even know what a Formula Ford is, let alone posess the intelligence to know whether it's a POS or not...I'm pretty sure you've never driven a non-syncro close ratio 4spd.
Number 3, use some of that genius to show us your calculations for saving 'A TON' of gas.
301.783 gals?
329.326 gals?
I'll leave that question to the genius...bet you can't or won't figure out the what I'm even referring to.
4...I hypermile my 6sp...never rev over 2k except driving on the freeway where the pathetic 6th gear requires 2.4k rpm to maintain freeway speed.
thanks for our insight and wisdom....look forward to your response.
sorry for the hijack.
some people can't figure out the difference between deceleration and maintaining control of forward motion using engine compression.
BUT THEY'RE GENIUSES!

Gotta be related to BartStar!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #53
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
The point was in my post that you initially contradicted... that on an older vehicle (as opposed to a new one that can shut down its injectors), you will not save any fuel at all through the use of engine braking, but rather, it will consume more fuel than pushing the clutch in and using the brakes, where at least it will just sit at idle.
You won't save gas compared to neutral, but you will have more control going downhill via engine braking, especially while towing. I like using my brakes as little as possible.
We are on the same page.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #54
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you're downshifting is affecting your MPG's. It's usually start up and shifting that affects that. Keep the RPM's lower then 2000 when you shift and as you said lay off the lead foot a bit lol! I was gonna say you might wanna check some things like the air filter and plugs and such but you've got a 2010 so there shouldn't be issues with those things just yet.

You fill up every 3 days? How much and what kinda driving do you do? I do mostly city driving, about 15-25 miles a day (give or take a few) and I fill up once every 2 weeks. Getting around 275-300 miles per tank.

(I downshift to slow down too btw) It does slow you down lol, thinkingman is cracking me up. Not too much thinking going on!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
You fill up every 3 days? How much and what kinda driving do you do? I do mostly city driving, about 15-25 miles a day (give or take a few) and I fill up once every 2 weeks. Getting around 275-300 miles per tank.

Must be nice to fill up once every two weeks

I fill up twice a week. Getting about the same mileage per tank as you stated.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #56
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Must be nice to fill up once every two weeks

I fill up twice a week. Getting about the same mileage per tank as you stated.
Twice a week! Damn. That's like $450 - $500 a month in gas alone. You'd probably be better off buying an old Corolla or Geo Metro beater for the commute, and saving the truck for weekends.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #57
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Don't want to go into all of that thread, but my point of view is: BRAKES ARE MADE FOR SLOWING YOU DOWN./ Brake pads cost nothing, changing a clutch costs a lot, use your brakes/ Your clutch does not use itself when driving, but uses itself everytime your start and shift/downshift.

In the end, its the traction you got between the tires and road that will determine the final braking distance, so engine braking or not, your brake have far enough power to make the wheel lock.

So thinkinman is right, just use your heads and stop wasting your clutches by downshifting for no gains at all (since brakes are by far powerfull enough to lock the wheel anyway.)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #58
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you can drive a manual properly you won't wear the clutch any faster. Also most wear occurs when taking off from a stop.
X2
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #59
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you can drive a manual properly you won't wear the clutch any faster. Also most wear occurs when taking off from a stop.
X3

This thread makes me LOL!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #60
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You could always shift without the clutch. Match your engine and drivetrain rpm and slip it into gear. The sweet spot is somewhere between 2000 and 2500 rpm. This works for up and down shifting.