1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood Cable slipped off interior release lever

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gottaflyakite, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    gottaflyakite

gottaflyakite [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab - 4x4 TRD Off Road SR5
    All,

I just picked this truck ('07 double cab/4x4/TRD off road) up last week and still discovering it's "unique" attributes. Today (at the DMV) my hood release cable slipped off the hood release latch mechanism inside the truck and the hood would not release. (Thankfully I had some pliers to pull the release cable with and was able to get my DMV inspection.)

I've been trying to slip the cable end back into the release latch with no luck. Its obvious how it should go, but I don't have enough slack to get it hooked on. Are there any suggestions for a newbie (minimal mechanical ability) to fix this?

I've included some pics of the setup.

(in the meantime I have pliers in the drivers side door for use 'as needed'.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Gottaflyakite

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    never seen that before. have you tried to pull with the pliers and release. and see if it gives you more slack? idk thats about all i can think of..

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    I'm sure you figured it out by now, but it is fairly easy to get right back on.

I will add, that mine came off when they installed the alarm in my truck. I didn't know until I got home and tried to open the hood and nothing, i just left if at it's normal state and pulled that thing with my fingers and put it back.

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    gottaflyakite

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I wish it was that easy, maybe its just my fat fingers but I've had no luck at all...

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    dont pull the release latch itself, as this will just pull it further from the cable, which is why you dont have enough slack. pull only the cable and try to re-attach it.

thats all i got lol

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    gottaflyakite

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Ok got it, you were right it was easy... once the cable was bent so it reached the locking position with the latch mostly closed. Unfortunately the cable has a lot of play so I anticipate this happening again. I think this is a perfect use of duct tape to just ensure the cable doesn't pop out when the latch is released, unfortunately the dealer detailed the interior so much all the dash components are super slippery right now and no tape is sticking. Guess I just have to get it dirtier... Thanks all for the advice.

(did this and the cabin air filter clean today....that's more mechanical stuff then I've dared do for the last 5 yrs in my Mini Cooper S!)

7. May 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    bssquared82

bssquared82 b-squared82

Member:
    I'm not able to see these pics. Does anyone have pics for this? I think that's what happened on my 2016 taco

8. May 2, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    bssquared82

bssquared82 b-squared82

Member:
    Update. I got the cable "nub" back on the release lever but now the hood doesn't release when I pull the lever. I have to reach behind the lever and pull a little harder. Any thoughts on why this would happen? I'm not much of a gear head so a dumb'd down explanation would help ha.

9. Nov 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    OilTruck

OilTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Stick 4x4 Access Utility
    Anyone have any luck getting the cable back on the lever? I unhooked it while installing fog lights and can't get it back on for the life of me.

10. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    If it's like most of the ones I've seen, the cable end should have a white slotted fitting that snaps into the lever. I'll admit to not having experience with 2nd gen lever/cables.

You have to pull the white cable end out of the lever, insert the cable end into the lever, then snap that white collar back into the groove (metal bracket) portion of the handle. You will be able to pull that white fitting back away (towards the engine compartment) far enough to snap it back into place.

If not, there may be screws holding the lever to the instrument panel. Remove the screws, attach the cable, then shoot the screws.

I am going to walk out and check mine (take pic) and come back, but mine is 1st gen.

11. Nov 6, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    @OilTruck

Just went out and popped mine out. Cable came out of the handle too. I was able to get it back in easily with the white cable end loose.

Cable end snapped into place
    20181106_195633[1].jpg

Cable end popped out

20181106_195430[1].jpg

Easiest way I found is to insert the barrel end into the lever and hold pressure on it with my index finger. Then as I slowly begin to let the lever go back in, I use my middle finger to guide the cable back into place while maintaining pressure against the barrel end with my index finger.
    Then maintain a pull on the cable from rear side of the cable while snapping the white end back into it's slot. Once you get the hang of it, its a 3-5 second fix.

12. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    OilTruck

OilTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Stick 4x4 Access Utility
    @Wsidr1, I appreciate the help. If my fingers were more nimble and dexterous I might be able to do this. Seems the 3rd gen is slightly different, but still very similar. After fussing with this for about 2 hours (after installing fog lights myself) I called the dealership and the service manager said they would re-hook it as a complimentary service. I think i should buy a lottery ticket and see if this luck holds up...

Products Discussed in

To Top