Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Drum Brake Conversion

Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Drum Brake Conversion

Hey Guys has anyone done a rear drum brake conversion on there Taco? I'm looking for some input on where to purchase a kit for a 1st Gen tacoma.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
You mean disc-brake? Like going from Drums to Discs?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
yes, have Drum and want to convert to Disc. I know there was some talk about on here about this topic, but I think it was on the 2nd Gen. before I spend the cash I want to see if there are any problems, or are the kits smooth sailing with the 1st gen taco's.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
yes, have Drum and want to convert to Disc. I know there was some talk about on here about this topic, but I think it was on the 2nd Gen. before I spend the cash I want to see if there are any problems, or are the kits smooth sailing with the 1st gen taco's.
Do some searching. I think the consensus is...it's not worth it.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
it will stop a lot better with 4 wheel disk of course if u never had them before on a truck u won't know what im talking about u can listen to the rest of the dummies on here they have a million reasons not to thats there opinion its like ur ass everybodys got one. LOL ? LOTS OF LOVE.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ZAT View Post
it will stop a lot better with 4 wheel disk of course if u never had them before on a truck u won't know what im talking about u can listen to the rest of the dummies on here they have a million reasons not to thats there opinion its like ur ass everybodys got one. LOL ? LOTS OF LOVE.
You have NO idea what youre talking about. The rear disck conversion results in less stopping power. You have to change out alot more shit than just adding a set of rotors on the back and thinking your good to go. Do some research.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ZAT View Post
4 wheel discs are awesome when they're engineered properly to work. Vehicles that you buy 'new' with 4 wheel discs are designed and engineered to work and work awesome.

When you try to throw 4 wheel discs on a vehicle that was designed for disc/drum - it isn't gonna work unless you spend a shit-ton of money re-engineering & changing the entire system.

Some reading for you
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html

So, you're indeed one of the dummies like the rest of us.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
pass the
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Assuming you're still running rear Discs?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Assuming you're still running rear Discs?
Yes. I'm also running a manual brake setup at this point.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Apprentice Modder
josh256 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
josh256's Tacoma Gallery
[Sadly] rear discs on the Tacoma are pointless..

I've had numerous track cars and I can assure you rear brakes on the tacoma will provide little stopping functionality beyond the p-brake when you turn the truck off (which is another mod you'll need to add if you attempt a conversion to discs since this is typically incorporated within the drum).

The 2 primary reasons sport [and track] cars benefit from disc brakes at the back is weighting and suspension.. If your vehicle is nose-heavy (like most trucks) and has anything other than track-tuned suspension disc brakes will be primarily aesthetic and should be much smaller than the front to provide balanced stopping power.

I'm using the TRD Sport suspension and have given up on converting the drums since all the weight shifts way forward..

Saving my $ for the SC this summer baby!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #13

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Old post, but good info. I thought about this today and decided to see if it had come up. One thought that lingers is if you tow or have a heavily loaded truck all the time, the additional stopping power(back weighted much more obviously) would help, but balancing the front/back without always locking up the rear wheels would suck and be extremely difficult for most or all of us.