Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

truck vibration between 50-55MPH

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #21
TacoKurt is on a distinguished road
Name: Kurt
TacoKurt's Tacoma Gallery
My truck did that once, and turns out all it was, there was mud caked on the tires, therefor putting it off balance causing the intense vibrations! Otherwise I would say get your truck checked out and balanced. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoKurt View Post
My truck did that once, and turns out all it was, there was mud caked on the tires, therefor putting it off balance causing the intense vibrations! Otherwise I would say get your truck checked out and balanced. Good luck!
i swear to god nobody fucking reads. its not the damn tires.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
Lol
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unless the tires wear road force ballanced, and at no more than 25# road force, Im claiming its the tires. The Tacoma is VERY touchy on how good the tires are balklanced.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Unless the tires wear road force ballanced, and at no more than 25# road force, Im claiming its the tires. The Tacoma is VERY touchy on how good the tires are balklanced.
i understand the reasoning behind that chris, but...

#1) i have never been in a vehicle where an unbalanced tire would cause a vibe ONLY at one speed, and sometimes not do it at all. it started at 21,xxx miles with stock everything, and is still continuing EXACTLY the same at 25,xxx with new wheels tires and suspension

#2) do it with 2 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels. 1 set being the dunflops and 17" sports, the other being pro comp 8069's and dynapros

i know stuff like this is hard to explain without actually seeing/feeling firsthand, but im almost 100% positive its not the tires.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought, if it does it at the same speed all the time, change gears and keep the truck at that speed but rpms much higher and see if it changes pitch or frequency of the vibe. This might help discover if it is at the front ,engine drive area and not the rear. This is a tough one for sure.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #27
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
I had a harmonic vibration at about this speed it was more notable at 2000rpm when accelerating slowly. Seemed to fade away though as the leaf springs broke in and settled in lower. If you have anything heavy at your disposal try to load some weight in the back so it squats a little bit 800lbs. It will change the geometry of the driveline. If the symptoms improve then the cause is almost definitely the carrier bearing area. Get a beefed taco CB drop. I'd hate to see you spend money on something then it not solving the problem.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #28
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i understand the reasoning behind that chris, but...

#1) i have never been in a vehicle where an unbalanced tire would cause a vibe ONLY at one speed, and sometimes not do it at all. it started at 21,xxx miles with stock everything, and is still continuing EXACTLY the same at 25,xxx with new wheels tires and suspension

#2) do it with 2 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels. 1 set being the dunflops and 17" sports, the other being pro comp 8069's and dynapros

i know stuff like this is hard to explain without actually seeing/feeling firsthand, but im almost 100% positive its not the tires.
Right. But....U joint and Carrier bearing vibes are most often felt below 35 mph. Vibes between 50-55 and 60-65 are most often tires. I say have them road forced, and tell them you want them below 25# road force, and go from there.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #29
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

elwood's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, what is road forced ???
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Sorry, what is road forced ???
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=40
Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #31
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
I know you're stuck on the tires not being the problem, but I've had your issue in other trucks over the years and its always been tires. Not a balance issue, but crappy rubber. I replaced a set of dunflops for some michelins on my Blazer and the vibes went away. Same issue - about 50-55 and around 65 it's disappear. Had an exploder that had the issue with bridgestones. Again, splurging on a set of mich LTs cured the shimmies. Try moving the fronts to the back to see if the shakes change. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #32

elwood's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #33
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Right. But....U joint and Carrier bearing vibes are most often felt below 35 mph. Vibes between 50-55 and 60-65 are most often tires. I say have them road forced, and tell them you want them below 25# road force, and go from there.
im not tryin to ignore your advice, it just pisses me off that i pay over $900 for a brand new set of hankook dynapro atm LT's and they are gonna still fuckin vibe after 3 balances.

does anybody know if discount tire/americas tire does road force balancing? i have free balance/rotation for the life of the tires and will be in that area on sunday
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #34

Quote:
im not tryin to ignore your advice, it just pisses me off that i pay over $900 for a brand new set of hankook dynapro atm LT's and they are gonna still fuckin vibe after 3 balances.

does anybody know if discount tire/americas tire does road force balancing? i have free balance/rotation for the life of the tires and will be in that area on sunday
Thing is, We need to eliminate that being an issue first. It would be strange that 2 sets of Wheels/tires create the same issue, but not tthat un common. DTC does offer road force ballancing. Its useually an extra charge, but you may be able to make them do it since your having issues.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
DTC does offer road force ballancing.
DCT? (discount tire lol?)