LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

truck vibration between 50-55MPH

Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
truck vibration between 50-55MPH

before anyone says anything, yes i searched but there are too many threads on this subject to get a pinpoint answer.

i have a 2010 prerunner DCSB, 5100s set @ 2.5 w/ stock coils, and stock UCA's up front with the harsh ride TSB installed from dealer in the rear w/ stock shocks. truck has 25,xxx miles. 285/75/16 hankook dynapro atm's on pro comp 8069's all around.

ok so heres the scoop...

anywheres between 50-55MPH, i am getting a fairly rough vibration that feels like it is coming from the rear of the truck, but i can still feel it in the steering wheel. IT WAS DOING THIS ON STOCK WHEELS, TIRES AND SUSPENSION, so dont say its because of the lift, the lift had no effect on it at all.

i have checked and double checked all suspension (front and rear) and steering components and driveshaft multiple times and i can not find the cause.

my thought at this point is that it is the carrier bearing, but i dont know how to tell if the bearing is bad. the rubber inside the "bearing" is fairly soft and i can wiggle the driveshaft around about 1/4 of an inch in all directions, but the rubber is tight against the driveshaft. the bolts holding the bearing to the truck are torqued.

is the carrier bearing supposed to wiggle around this much? this is my first RWD vehicle so im not familiar with driveshafts.

i am driving from new mexico to florida, and then back (about a month later) near the end of may and i would like to get this problem figured out before i drive 2000 miles when something could possibly be wrong.

any input from someone who has had this problem?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

here is the bearing. sorry for the semi blurry pics, but my camera isnt the greatest.

it doesnt look bad to me so i am deffinantly at a loss here

Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Check the angle of your drive line you may be the carrier bearing drop bracket I know I did.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Check the angle of your drive line you may be the carrier bearing drop bracket I know I did.
its not at any serious angle though, and it did it on stock suspension setup so i dont see how it can be at a too extreme angle from factory like that
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
TAQUERO is on a distinguished road
Name: RUBEN
TAQUERO's Tacoma Gallery
Balance tires??
Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQUERO View Post
Balance tires??
its not a tire issue, ive had them balanced three times in the past 1000 miles, no difference.

i know what an unbalanced tire feels like and this is different
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same vibration on my stock set up .

Did you have it before your lift ?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
IT WAS DOING THIS ON STOCK WHEELS, TIRES AND SUSPENSION, so dont say its because of the lift, the lift had no effect on it at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Missed that .

I think that it is a wobble in the CB mount myself .
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Missed that .

I think that it is a wobble in the CB mount myself .
cb mount is ??????? what lol
Old 04-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cb mount is ??????? what lol
The carrier bearing as you mentioned above .
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Bam-Ba-Lam

ahh gotcha, i was tryin to figure out what it meant haha. i dont want to spend the $100 or so on a new bearing and it not be the problem though
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ahh gotcha, i was tryin to figure out what it meant haha. i dont want to spend the $100 or so on a new bearing and it not be the problem though
Check out Beefed Tacos CB drops
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Check out Beefed Tacos CB drops
its just a 1/4 inch bracket right?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its just a 1/4 inch bracket right?
No , it's not a shim , it replaces the OEM bracket and adds an additional bolt into an unused factory bolt hole there to make the mount stiffer .
Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
No , it's not a shim , it replaces the OEM bracket and adds an additional bolt into an unused factory bolt hole there to make the mount stiffer .
hmm, ill look into that. do you think a drop bracket might be the fix in this case? i have some metal bar stock layin around that i could easily cut and drill.....
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
does it feel like a big cat purring. sorry theres not really any other way to describe it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
I just had this issue and I put a CB drop and it fixed it. But it could be your U joint angles I just replaced all my U joints so I would take it to a shop to have it looked at or if you feel its the CB get the drop and it could work.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
does it feel like a big cat purring. sorry theres not really any other way to describe it.
Mine is more of a whup whup whup
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Mine is more of a whup whup whup
same