Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

arb Lockers and vsc/limited slip, etc

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Christian, I never said the Off Road was the ultimate... re-read... I said the guy with the Sport wants the ultimate... so he is getting lockers.

For those who want to get a factory equippped truck with the most traction, then that would be the Off Road 4WD... isn't that what you have? Do you ever use it? How about some photos? The others, you need to chill and stop being so angry that you don't have it! I am happy with my Toyota... VERY HAPPY!
Yes I have it, I use it and I love it. Out of the box this is the most capable package available on Tacomas but that is where it ends. The OP wanted something more capable than a stock Offroad package so he added lockers. Now a stock Offroad isn't so capable anymore when compared to a fully locked Tacoma. If I wanted more capability out of my truck I would have bought a Sport or SR5 and I would have thrown in some lockers. I like the Sport hood, grill, door handles and color matched rear bumper. I want to add the Sport hood to my truck and I will if a good deal comes around.

The problem here is that you take this Sport vs Offroad thing 10 steps ahead of where it needs to be since it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #25
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Christian, this is a discussion forum... and if every thread just was a question and answer page... with no other ideas or different thinking... would be pretty dry, don't you think?

I don't care what people drive... I have wheeled with a lot of Sport TRDs... and they admit the Off Road has more ability... and wish they had it. The hate rants are not called for, and if you can't just say what is great about your truck or what the difference is, then making up stuff is dumb. Just the facts, that's all.

I am talking pure factory equipped comparing... As I said... the OP wants ultimate traction, so he is adding a few thousand dollars for front and rear lockers. You just don't have to spend the extra money if you get an Off Raod with A-TRAC, that's all... and not enough dealers bother to sell the Off Roads as being able to do what they do. I wheeled with fully locked rigs in Baja (both TW members) and my A-TRAC did everything they did, only easier... I didn't need to turn off A-TRAC to turn sharp corners like they had to with their front lockers.

Because so many here still don't know or won't admit that Toyota made a good product that can compete with front locked rigs, I will calmly and nicely share what I have discovered... no name calling, profanity, insults.

I hope everyone enjoys their Tacoma!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have lockers, and they are turned on, you won't have one tire per axle slipping... so the limited slip system would never activate with the lockers on... seems simple logic to me... Nothing to turn off first. TRAC/ VSC/ A-TRAC uses spin sensors at each wheel... no spin, then no activation.
Whatcha talkin bout Willis
OP wrote that his ATRAC is acting stupid and it is trying to kill him on flat road. If ATRAC can not handle little bigger tires and lift thats no way better option then lockers. Think about this, what happens when your over size tire goes flat and you need to get somewhere to change it.
ATRAC is worst idea ever. Judging from number of broken offroads on this forum it seems that most capable trucks are non-TRD offroad
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Christian, this is a discussion forum... and if every thread just was a question and answer page... with no other ideas or different thinking... would be pretty dry, don't you think?

I don't care what people drive... I have wheeled with a lot of Sport TRDs... and they admit the Off Road has more ability... and wish they had it. The hate rants are not called for, and if you can't just say what is great about your truck or what the difference is, then making up stuff is dumb. Just the facts, that's all.

I am talking pure factory equipped comparing... As I said... the OP wants ultimate traction, so he is adding a few thousand dollars for front and rear lockers. You just don't have to spend the extra money if you get an Off Raod with A-TRAC, that's all... and not enough dealers bother to sell the Off Roads as being able to do what they do. I wheeled with fully locked rigs in Baja (both TW members) and my A-TRAC did everything they did, only easier... I didn't need to turn off A-TRAC to turn sharp corners like they had to with their front lockers.

Because so many here still don't know or won't admit that Toyota made a good product that can compete with front locked rigs, I will calmly and nicely share what I have discovered... no name calling, profanity, insults.

As to weather or not the Off Road has more ability, Most of that depends on teh driver. Many people on here that have run back to back, have had no complaints about the Sport. I have yet to see someone on here complain that they should have gotten the Off Road......If they have, I missed the post.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
OP wrote that his ATRAC is acting stupid and it is trying to kill him on flat road. If ATRAC can not handle little bigger tires and lift thats no way better option then lockers. Think about this, what happens when your over size tire goes flat and you need to get somewhere to change it.
ATRAC is worst idea ever. Judging from number of broken offroads on this forum it seems that most capable trucks are non-TRD offroad
Actually it's just called TRAC on the OP's truck. VSC is what is acting up on the OP's truck ATRAC comes only on the offroad and is not the worst idea ever. It works just fine for most people. Not everyone needs front a rear lockers.

Quote:

And again the OP didn't wanted more traction than ATRAC provided so he bought the sport and added lockers. Full lockers are more capable than ATRAC.

Yes this is a discussion forum but what you are really discussing anything except talking down on the Sport just because of the hood and color matched parts. It gets really old very quickly. If anyone regrets buying a Sport and they really want an Offroad then they can make the decision to buy the Offroad on their own.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Love my sport. My mechanical LSD + Ebrake is my poor mans locking diff. I also think I'm an ok driver with enough skill to put my Sport in and out of a lot of places a Tard with an offroad would get stuck. Rant over. I'm done.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Oh god! my skewpz

Well, it doesn't have an offroad hood so it will not perform as well as the offroad and it obviously doesn't have ATRAC
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #32
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
....or they dont get wheeled the same....

and fake hood scoops are stupid. end of story. its kinda like putting those air vent stickers on the side of your car.
Attached Thumbnails
arb Lockers and vsc/limited slip, etc-round-chrome-ports-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
....or they dont get wheeled the same....

and fake hood scoops are stupid. end of story. its kinda like putting those air vent stickers on the side of your car.
Tape on hood scoops and other autozone accessories are stupid. The TRD Sport hood scoops are fine and make the truck look better imo. No need to bash the TRD Sports.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #34
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wanna go wheelin?

I wouldn't talk too much shit with that time bomb in your rear end.
look at all the butthurt. if you know how to drive it isnt a ticking time bomb. it is a tool to use as a last resort. see the pic in my sig if you think i have no idea what i am talking about. or come out to do the rubicon, fordyce etc and we'll go have a blast.. ill help pull you out.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wanna go wheelin?

I wouldn't talk too much shit with that time bomb in your rear end.
What do you mean by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
look at all the butthurt. if you know how to drive it isnt a ticking time bomb. it is a tool to use as a last resort. see the pic in my sig if you think i have no idea what i am talking about. or come out to do the rubicon, fordyce etc and we'll go have a blast.. ill help pull you out.
This TRD Offroad vs. TRD Sport fight is stupid. They're both great trucks, both very capable offroad but with different options...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #36
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
What do you mean by that?
The stock 8.0 gears are junk.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The stock 8.0 gears are junk.
I know they are not as stout as the "8.4" non TRD offroad rear end but they still can take abuse.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #38
Banned
Quote:
I know they are not as stout as the "8.4" non TRD offroad rear end but they still can take abuse.
No they are literally junk. They are weak gears from the manufacture. Aftermarket gears are stronger.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #39
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No they are literally junk. They are weak gears from the manufacture. Aftermarket gears are stronger.
Is this the same with the 1st gens? From what I've heard the 1st gen elocker rear ends are not that bad, still not as good as the "8.4" non elocker rear end.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #40
Banned
Quote:
Is this the same with the 1st gens? From what I've heard the 1st gen elocker rear ends are not that bad, still not as good as the "8.4" non elocker rear end.
Yeah but for the 2nd gens I think they switched the gear manufacturer and there just aren't as strong as they used to be. The 05 to 07 trucks had rear end problems.