Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

arb Lockers and vsc/limited slip, etc

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #82
mandg401 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: retired in 2000, Jet Mech
Name: Mark
mandg401's Tacoma Gallery
damn, lol i didnt know i was gonna start a war, i'm afraid to ask another question lol
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #83
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandg401 View Post
damn, lol i didnt know i was gonna start a war, i'm afraid to ask another question lol
Oh don't be affraid... on Internet forums it is easy for some to hide behind a keyboard and just post insults and profanity to get a rise out of folks...

You have to pick out the helpful information from the other stuff.

I enjoy sharing facts that I have found with my Tacoma in hopes it inspires others to have just as much fun with their Tacoma as I have.

I am not new to four wheeling either... been into it for over 40 years. However, I am not stuck on the past and I do appreciate new technology.

Funny how some youngsters here hang onto ideas from long before they were born! Balance is good... I have a locker (old school) and I have A-TRAC (new school)... and with the press of a button I can have open differentials!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #84
mandg401 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: retired in 2000, Jet Mech
Name: Mark
mandg401's Tacoma Gallery
thanks David K, i also am not new to four wheeling, from my 1982 chevy k5 blazer with tci transmission, re worked transfer case, etc etc. when stationed in Oklahoma, to my first toyota sr5 fwd in the backwoods of alaska. now to the very diffrent fwd styles in the deserts of arizona. and oh i will be asking some questions, i do appreciate the ideas and knowledge i have gotten so far. i dont beleive in re-inventing the wheel, use whats been learned already and maybe improve on it
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #85
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandg401 View Post
thanks David K, i also am not new to four wheeling, from my 1982 chevy k5 blazer with tci transmission, re worked transfer case, etc etc. when stationed in Oklahoma, to my first toyota sr5 fwd in the backwoods of alaska. now to the very diffrent fwd styles in the deserts of arizona. and oh i will be asking some questions, i do appreciate the ideas and knowledge i have gotten so far. i dont beleive in re-inventing the wheel, use whats been learned already and maybe improve on it
Great that you have four wheeled in so many different places. The main challange in the desert is sand... and the trick there is lowering air pressure in tires. I hope you have fun and post some Arizona photos when you can!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #86
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You really dont get it do you? If htere are no teeth, the different diameter of the 2 devices is going to dictate the ratio, much like a golf ball turning a basket ball. However, that doesnt transfer much force to move an object, does it? Therefore, you need the teeth on a gear set. THOSE dictate the ratio in an axel. a 4 foot diameter ring ger with 51 teeth and a 4" pinion with 9 teeth, is going to have the same ratio as an 9" ring gear with 51 teeth, and a 2" pinion with 9 teeth.
Sorry but you are not entirely correct.

Ratio is correlated to diameters of two gears (their circumference to be exact), number of teethes is proportional to ratio. Size of the teeth is correlated to diameters/circumference. (there is a table somewhere giving the max size of tooth per diameter/per number of teethes.
So teeths dont make ratio but its convenient way of telling the ratio of two gears.
If your circumference ratio is 2:1 then number of teeth will be 2:1 as well, otherwise gears can not mesh.

BTW I know that because I use to desing gears , I even cut them on Milling machine (way before CNC's where invented). Granted it was very long time ago but I doubt that much changed.