1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

arb Lockers and vsc/limited slip, etc

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mandg401, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The pinion will spin all day without turning the ring.

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

I don't make stuff up, I am reporting on how GOOD Toyota made the Tacoma... Somehow, I find it odd that a Tacoma Forum is more concerned with bashing the product made and promoting somthing not made by Toyota... Aftermarket stuff is fine IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT or IF YOU CAN INSTALL IT. Not everyone is able to... So, the A-TRAC is finally offered on the Tacoma after being on every other Toyota off highway rig for years, and instead of celebrating you folks who don't have it can only bash it...? How caveman is that?

I never say my truck is "BETTER"... maybe you are interpreting it that way... but I (think) I always say a SPORT has items that enhance the LOOKS of the truck (fake scoop, color matched this and that) and an OFF ROAD has things that enhance the drivability of the truck... Traction aids that include a mechanical e-locker on the rear and an automatic locking system that stops slipping tires front and rear... from the factory.

The automatic locking system (A-TRAC) does not need to be turned off so you can trail... Lockers prevent you from trailing (turning on a mountain road or between trees)... and so need to be turned off when you don't need them to get unstuck or up a grade. The purpose of open differentials is for steering abilty. The purpose of locked differentials is for full traction in an emergency/ difficult and straight driving situation.

Have a look at the Mision Santa Maria trip... this was the best comparison anyone could come up with that pitted 2 fully locked Tacomas (front and rear) and a fully locked 4WD Chevy van/motorhome, a rear locked Dakota, an open differential 4WD 4Runner, and my A-TRAC Tacoma against a variety of elements... steep rock filled grades, desert sand, 3 foot deep mud...

The Dakota had on rock in the sidewall flat.

The motorhome had tires twice come off the wheel (under-inflated).

The open differential 4Runner needed to be pulled out of the 3 foot deep mud.

One full locked Tacoma lost the rear differential on the return day... and was pulled out with the Dakota and Motorhome.

Only HB Murphy in a fully locked '09 Tacoma and me with the '10 Tacoma had NO problems with traction or tires. I did snag my bumper on a rock staircase we dropped off... So did the motorhome.

Both the motorhome and HB Murphy had to frequently turn off their lockers to negotiate the trail. My truck was in A-TRAC all the time.

From the factory: Sport for looks, Off Road for... well, off roading! Nothing wrong... just different. Okay chief?

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What about the SR5 ?

Are they for those below the poverty line ?

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    or vs sport? .........................................:facepalm:

:popcorn:

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    does the rugged trail edition have a-trac?

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    mandg401

mandg401 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma,lifted and Locked
    pro comp stage one 6" lift, 4:88 gear ration, ARB Lockers front and rear
    damn, lol i didnt know i was gonna start a war, i'm afraid to ask another question lol

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Oh don't be affraid... on Internet forums it is easy for some to hide behind a keyboard and just post insults and profanity to get a rise out of folks...

You have to pick out the helpful information from the other stuff.

I enjoy sharing facts that I have found with my Tacoma in hopes it inspires others to have just as much fun with their Tacoma as I have.

I am not new to four wheeling either... been into it for over 40 years. However, I am not stuck on the past and I do appreciate new technology.

Funny how some youngsters here hang onto ideas from long before they were born! Balance is good... I have a locker (old school) and I have A-TRAC (new school)... and with the press of a button I can have open differentials!!:D

8. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    mandg401

mandg401 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma,lifted and Locked
    pro comp stage one 6" lift, 4:88 gear ration, ARB Lockers front and rear
    thanks David K, i also am not new to four wheeling, from my 1982 chevy k5 blazer with tci transmission, re worked transfer case, etc etc. when stationed in Oklahoma, to my first toyota sr5 fwd in the backwoods of alaska. now to the very diffrent fwd styles in the deserts of arizona. and oh i will be asking some questions, i do appreciate the ideas and knowledge i have gotten so far. i dont beleive in re-inventing the wheel, use whats been learned already and maybe improve on it

9. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Great that you have four wheeled in so many different places. The main challange in the desert is sand... and the trick there is lowering air pressure in tires. I hope you have fun and post some Arizona photos when you can!

10. Apr 18, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Sorry but you are not entirely correct.

Ratio is correlated to diameters of two gears (their circumference to be exact), number of teethes is proportional to ratio. Size of the teeth is correlated to diameters/circumference. (there is a table somewhere giving the max size of tooth per diameter/per number of teethes.
    So teeths dont make ratio but its convenient way of telling the ratio of two gears.
    If your circumference ratio is 2:1 then number of teeth will be 2:1 as well, otherwise gears can not mesh.

BTW I know that because I use to desing gears :D , I even cut them on Milling machine (way before CNC's where invented). Granted it was very long time ago but I doubt that much changed. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top