Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

has anyone seen/used this oil?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone seen/used this oil?

it says "suitable for use in honda and toyota"
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Seen, yes. Used, no. I just use what the book recommends. 5w30. The newer Honda and Toyota cara calls for that stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Suitable??? I think I will use what is recommended. You want a 30 wieght anywho.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i only use 5w30 also but i noticed this last night and was curious
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-30.aspx

just found this, its a 0w30 advanced fuel economy
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the 0-30 in mine right now but I live in California with mile temps. I haven't seen a deference in Mpg's or start up's from using the 5-30
Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
0-30 Amsoil year round on 2nd gen
Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
oil from Mobil or Amsoil is ALWAYS suitable
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
I used that this past winter. Couldn't really notice any sort of difference. I did, however, have that yellowish buildup underneath the cap. I've switched to Royal Purple and haven't looked back. Just checked my cap the other day, and no buildup.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well is states 2% increase in MPG. Say you average 20mpg, with a 2% increase you will be getting 20.4mpg. You would be better off dropping your speed by 5-10mph. I like Penzoil Platinum, 17$ a jug so its chaeper too.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
I used that this past winter. Couldn't really notice any sort of difference. I did, however, have that yellowish buildup underneath the cap. I've switched to Royal Purple and haven't looked back. Just checked my cap the other day, and no buildup.

The yellowsih buildup is most likely from short trips. it's moisture from the humidity in the air it will go away after a long drive.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
The yellowsih buildup is most likely from short trips. it's moisture from the humidity in the air it will go away after a long drive.
Sure is. Longer driving gets rid of the moisture. Once a week or so you should go for a "long" drive to burn the moisture off. Or let it run a little more before you leave and arrive.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I could find Mobil One 0W-20. By that I mean, I wish I could find it on base. I plan to use it after my free oil changes are used up. The 2010 owners manual says use 5W-20 or 0W-20 in the 4 cylinder. The lower the first number, in a multi-grade oil, the better the cold start protection.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToyota View Post
Sure is. Longer driving gets rid of the moisture. Once a week or so you should go for a "long" drive to burn the moisture off. Or let it run a little more before you leave and arrive.
After I switched to Royal Purple, I had no buildup without changing driving styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
I wish I could find Mobil One 0W-20. By that I mean, I wish I could find it on base. I plan to use it after my free oil changes are used up. The 2010 owners manual says use 5W-20 or 0W-20 in the 4 cylinder. The lower the first number, in a multi-grade oil, the better the cold start protection.
I don't know that I would use that light of an oil in New Mexico. Its pretty thin to start with, by the time you add hot, desert heat to the mix, your asking a lot of that oil. Good chance it will wear too thin and cause damage.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My 2008 2.7 manual has 0/20 as the preffered oil ,good for economy . Now having said that.........

So whats the "advanced fuel economy"? Is it, that it is synthetic? ...or that its 0-20? Or that they made it with a green label? If so then there is NOTHING new. What next ...eco -smart rounder steering wheels?

Also, the manual tells you whats suitable, it is suitable if it had no other label than the oil grade and viscosity, i think they are just telling you what they want us to hear...... need to hear, to be more likely to buy it.
Thats marketing ... make you believe. Dont get me wrong , mobil makes quality stuff,but why start doing the sales tag lines..... what next....."BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!!"......"Whats in your engine"(err wallet?)

Marketing... YOUR money is THEIR money......they are the capitalists , you are the cash farm, you will be harvested. Ever try any line to get into a girls pants? What do you thing they do to get into your wallet?

think I'll buy a different oil just to peeve them for now , I like to punish cheap shot marketing by not buying it.anyway,I'm not seeing a provable gain in economy with synthetics over good dino oil at 0/20. Just my $.02
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
My 2008 2.7 manual has 0/20 as the preffered oil ,good for economy . Now having said that.........

So whats the "advanced fuel economy"? Is it, that it is synthetic? ...or that its 0-20? Or that they made it with a green label? If so then there is NOTHING new. What next ...eco -smart rounder steering wheels?

Also, the manual tells you whats suitable, it is suitable if it had no other label than the oil grade and viscosity, i think they are just telling you what they want us to hear...... need to hear, to be more likely to buy it.
Thats marketing ... make you believe. Dont get me wrong , mobil makes quality stuff,but why start doing the sales tag lines..... what next....."BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!!"......"Whats in your engine"(err wallet?)

Marketing... YOUR money is THEIR money......they are the capitalists , you are the cash farm, you will be harvested. Ever try any line to get into a girls pants? What do you thing they do to get into your wallet?

think I'll buy a different oil just to peeve them for now , I like to punish cheap shot marketing by not buying it.anyway,I'm not seeing a provable gain in economy with synthetics over good dino oil at 0/20. Just my $.02
last trip to wally world, i believe the regular synthetic and this stuff was the same price...same as the high mileage synthetic.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like here in potland...er Portland , they jack the synthetic prices up. I like the stuff, but for the price, I'm liking a regular oil, quality brand of 0/20.But like you said, it was the same price as other synthetics. Sorta shows the "Advanced fuel economy" line is just like saying better than oil 8 years ago, but nothing new in the last 1-2. I take that back if they actually came out with a new api grade since 2009.Pretty packaging though.

Bah , late threadjack, republicrats and dempublicans still blabbering about the birth certificate. If we as a nation seem to vote people in on popularity,why dont they just go for the sexiest actress.