Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

The Truth About Spark Plugs....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #41
Cherry
SCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCOTT'S TACO LOCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Si su no armamento, usted ain' ˇmierda de t!
Name: Scott
SCOTT'S TACO LOCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not the OEM NGK's.....I see them out of spec before 30k miles.
I call BS on this ^,

I'm just now changing my factory plugs at 52K.
Up to about 50k miles I was getting over 18mpg and over 19.3 when the truck was stock.
Now that I'm losing mpg est around 17mpg,
I will change the plugs with Denso PKH20TT@ $2.60each from NAPA auto parts, with a .43gap

http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/g...COMA&cc=&FF=50
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #42
06lttaco has a spectacular aura about06lttaco has a spectacular aura about

06lttaco's Tacoma Gallery
i just went through a nightmare with plugs. i bought some e3 from pepboys because i needed them and didn't have time to grab them somewhere else. They told me they're just the same as denso's and all the other ones. I took they're word like a moron and ever since then the truck has been throwing codes, blew out two coils on the 2 and 4 plugs. Burned up the o2 sensors from running lean. Moral of the story, stay away fromt the 6.00 plugs, they only cost you more in the long run
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #43
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yes, but there are lots of first genners who buy used trucks that didn't come with the OM (because I have responded the same way to similar questions, from octane to grease type to capacities).

Just a thought. I won't even mention "search." That's just too hard.
I would suggest don't buy a vehicle from anyone that can't produce the OM, big red flag!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
tshu44 is on a distinguished road

tshu44's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering how many times you can reuse a spark plug. clean it up and gap it correctly, is it still a good spark plug?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshu44 View Post
I'm wondering how many times you can reuse a spark plug. clean it up and gap it correctly, is it still a good spark plug?
I'd just change them.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #46
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I would suggest don't buy a vehicle from anyone that can't produce the OM, big red flag!
I concur. But to stay on topic here, my post was in regard to adding 1st gen information to this thread for folks who do not have the owners manual, because we try to help people on this site.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #47
My Taco is Blue!!!
Bu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBu11etWhisperer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AME3 VFA83 Virginia Beach, VA
Name: Mark
Bu11etWhisperer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccracer104 View Post
I like the plugs that are $30 each with diamonds and gold and titanium to make them lighter weight for better weight saving performance, higher HPs (whatever those are) and more MPGs (like a Prius!).
JK. I get 6 stock NGKs from the dealership and they work flawlessly!
I can be having a real shitty day and jump on here and someone is bound to have me rolling before I log off....Thanks Racer
Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #48
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccracer104 View Post
I like the plugs that are $30 each with diamonds and gold and titanium to make them lighter weight for better weight saving performance, higher HPs (whatever those are) and more MPGs (like a Prius!).
Lol, the 1lb you save with the lighter weight plugs gives you an extra mpg yearly, think of all that $$$ you save at the pumps!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #49
toyotaco01 is on a distinguished road

Army: 8th Engineer Batallion, 1st Cav-Airmobile Thai Ninh, Vietnam 1969
toyotaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Hi:
a mechanic down here told me that my taco 01 wears some kind of "special" sparks that I should change every 100K, it's true? I'm new in this thing of DIY. If not should I wear Denso K16R-U11? Thx for your advice.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #50
Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)
Taco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medical Corps
Name: Jake
Taco.VR4's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ from what i've read the 100k aren't really a good bang for the extra $ and thus to just go with the stock

speaking of stock, can anyone confirm this for me? As best I can tell these are the plugs as recommended in the OP for 1G V6's but just to make sure?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...110944&ci_sku=
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #51
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.VR4 View Post
^^^ from what i've read the 100k aren't really a good bang for the extra $ and thus to just go with the stock

speaking of stock, can anyone confirm this for me? As best I can tell these are the plugs as recommended in the OP for 1G V6's but just to make sure?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...110944&ci_sku=
You have a 5VZ engine. Not a 1GR. But those look to be the correct plugs for your application.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #52
Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)
Taco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medical Corps
Name: Jake
Taco.VR4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have a 5VZ engine. Not a 1GR. But those look to be the correct plugs for your application.
rightright, no the "1G" was abbreviation for 1st Generation. Sry for the confusion there
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #53
tako808 is on a distinguished road
tako808's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has been very helpful and funny. Got a laugh and I know what plugs to go with now. Have a good one everyone!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #54
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
E3 all the way!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #55
Mytoyo2
mytoyo2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
if u wana put a downer on plugs use autolites and champion they really suck
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
Kaitacoma is on a distinguished road

Kaitacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed OEM Densos for 2nd Gen 4.0 with .43 gap and diff oil based on 30K maint for 08 TRDSport. Seems I've lost 1-2 MPG's since and engine has a deeper growl than before esp. when decelerating, but no noticeable performance issues. Any thoughts or suggestions on why MPG's would go down?? Should I have gone with a lower gap? Any issues with doing this now and reinstalling same plug? Thanks,
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitacoma View Post
Just installed OEM Densos for 2nd Gen 4.0 with .43 gap and diff oil based on 30K maint for 08 TRDSport. Seems I've lost 1-2 MPG's since and engine has a deeper growl than before esp. when decelerating, but no noticeable performance issues. Any thoughts or suggestions on why MPG's would go down?? Should I have gone with a lower gap? Any issues with doing this now and reinstalling same plug? Thanks,
MPG could be down if the temps are getting colder.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #58
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
MPG could be down if the temps are getting colder.
Can humidity / moisture content in the air effect MPG with these engines ?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Can humidity / moisture content in the air effect MPG with these engines ?
The more humid the air, the less O2 content in it, so it will run more lean.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #60
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The more humid the air, the less O2 content in it, so it will run more lean.
This is my main problem in fall to spring . Everything is dripping wet

Products Discussed in this Thread