Notices

The Truth About Spark Plugs....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #81
OneLife
garys05tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
garys05tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
NGK Iridium plugs,great in my 05 tacoma 4x4

My 05 TRD Sport 4x4 runs great with irridiums. Don't expect any changes in performance, mileage or anything like that. I simple did this so I would not have to change every 30K. M deaker recomended them and he uses them himself. Jst be sure to use Denzo or NGK only for Tacomas.
Everyone has good or bad things to say about switching to irridiums, My 05 still runs like the day I bought it using these. 99% of people don't realize they can use these; more money for the dealers. Think smart! Good luck! You did your research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot808 View Post

are these the right ones?

Carquest recommended these for my 06 taco and they cost me about $90......
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #82
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
My 05 TRD Sport 4x4 runs great with irridiums. Don't expect any changes in performance, mileage or anything like that. I simple did this so I would not have to change every 30K. M deaker recomended them and he uses them himself. Jst be sure to use Denzo or NGK only for Tacomas.
Everyone has good or bad things to say about switching to irridiums, My 05 still runs like the day I bought it using these. 99% of people don't realize they can use these; more money for the dealers. Think smart! Good luck! You did your research.
ColtsTRD ran those, then switched to the OEM Nickle/Copper plugs, and the OEM Nickle/Copper ran smoother, and seemed to have more "pep".....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #84
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I just switched mine out the other day. They were at .55 gap. Whoops...
Did you remember to pour coolant into the cylinders before you put the new plugs in?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #85
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Did you remember to pour coolant into the cylinders before you put the new plugs in?
Only use coolant with Iridium/Laser plugs. Window washer fluid works on the OEM Copper/Nickle plugs...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #86
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I went one step further and just shit in the combustion chamber.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #87

Quote:
I went one step further and just shit in the combustion chamber.
Be sure to pound it in with a hammer....
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #89
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
i got a first gen 4 banger and i use NGK and gap it .032
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #90
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Be sure to pound it in with a hammer....
Quote:
Jack right?
Alternatively, use some Mobil 1 stool softener and let it sit overnight.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #91
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting thread. A spark is a spark that's true. Regarding the AC and Motocraft plugs, I can't explain why, but I swear this happened.

I put new plugs in an '84 Isuzu Trooper one time. It was running fine, bu I think it was around the time the "new super platinum" plugs were getting popular. They had Bosch platinums on sale so the guy looked up the model and gave me a set of 4.

Ran smooth for a few days then started skipping. Pulled the plugs out and several had a big ball of brownish carbon on the tip. Cleaned and put them back in. A week later, same thing. So I grabbed some old Motocrafts I had lying around and put those in. Never had another problem after that for years.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #92
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just replaced the spark plugs in my 3.4L with Denso K16TR11. So far no complaints, however I did have a "D'oh" moment when I went to put on some new NGK 4412 wires. I failed to take note of where those handy wire clips were specifically located. Just a quick peek at the old ones helped narrow it down, but a pen and paper would have been even faster.

Side question. I assume everyone uses anti seize on the spark plug threads. What is everyone's feeling about dielectric grease on plugs and connectors? Is this something where a little goes a long way, or more the merrier?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #93
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
With " V "s

Heys Guys,
Just what I know. I have a '82 Harley FXRS that I bought new that I had a problem with the back cylender gas fouling pretty quickly after with changing with standerd plugs.
After changing to " Split Fires " I never fouled another plug since.
Big O
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thought you all should read this.

Another thing that wasnt mentioned, Electircity follows the path of least resistance. So, "E", "V", etc. plugs STILL are only going to generate 1 spark.

Recomended plugs:

First gen.

2RZ-FE & 3RZ-FE engines:

Denso K16R-U11

NGK BKR5EYA-U

Gap .043"

5VZ-FE engine:

Denso K16TR11

NGK BKR5EKB-11

Gap .043"

Second gens:

2TR-FE engine

Denso SK20HR11

NGK ILFR6C11

Gap .039" to .043"

1GR-FE engine

Denso K20HR-U11

NGK LFR6C-11

Gap .039" to .043"
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #94
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed out the plugs in my 2010 v6 with the OEM Densos at 30k. The old plugs had good wear but they were noticeably worn. For $30 I am very happy with the results.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #95
michael roberts is on a distinguished road
michael roberts's Tacoma Gallery
The reason behind why toyota uses Denso on one side and NGK on the other side was driving me crazy. I asked ten people (even automotive experts / retired racers) and got ten differnt anwsers. I finally asked the head parts tech(the counter guys didn't know) at a large Toyota dealer here in San Diego and he said it was for warrenty purposes. If you blow your engine under warranty, and Toyota finds something different then stock plugs, they know it's been modified or worked on.Out of all the theories put foward, this seems the most plausible.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #96
Big Ed5150 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ed
Big Ed5150's Tacoma Gallery
I feel retarded asking this, ngk says for my 97 tacoma 2.7L i need to gap the plugs at .032, is this right. Please, i'm doing this tomorrow.

thanks all.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed5150 View Post
I feel retarded asking this, ngk says for my 97 tacoma 2.7L i need to gap the plugs at .032, is this right. Please, i'm doing this tomorrow.

thanks all.
Yep. Thats correct.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #98
3RZforme is on a distinguished road
3RZforme's Tacoma Gallery
The first post on this thread confuses me...

OEM plugs for my 98 Tacoma with the 3RZ are listed as:
NGK BRK5EYA .032 gap, they are "v power" plugs

The '01-'04 Tacomas are listed at .044" gap on NGK's site.

Strangely enough NGK also lists the OEM plug for a '00 3RZ at .044"

I just replaced my plugs with the BRK5EYA NGK's last week and they were the same plugs the previous owner had been running. So far as I can tell the gap for a first gen Tacoma with a 3RZ would be:

'95-'99 @ .032"
'00-'04 @ .044"
Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #99
gbarrigar1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
gbarrigar1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I agree with everything except
Hmmm I dont know about this. He is recommending AC, Motorcraft as more reliable then "other guys" ?

AC Delco and Motorcraft are $hietest spark plugs person can buy. And I mean if there was award for crappiest quality spark plug those two would probably get it every year. Thats my experience with them.
really? i was a mechanic at a gm garage for years. AC was the only thing you ran in a gm. anything else made it skip like crazy. Also our brother Ford dealer next door didn't put anything but motocrafts in a ford,lincoln, or mercury. same as the gm's, wouldn't run right without them. most dodge owners and shops i have talked with tell me champion is the only thing they recommand for those.

this thread was very usefull for me chris. i'm a fairly new(and proud) tacoma owner was was looking for this very info. thanks for the intel!

brand specification for the plug really depends on the vehicle and application as chris stated. its really best to go with the oem parts. or talk with someone that has done there homework as chris has done and find out what other options you have.

location, weather, and driveing habits all play a huge factor in this as well. hence again, you can't go wrong with oem parts which have been designed and tuned in conjuction with the engines and ignitions to handle a variety of drivieng.

some may have luck with other brands and some not. bottom line. oem will get the same results each time across the board.

thanks again for the info chris. and all the laughs from the other posters. lol
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #100
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
I remember when the Splitfire plugs were coming out. I tried a set on a 600cc Yamaha motorcycle. The bike had a 10,000+ RPM redline but would not rev past 6,000 RPM. The Yammie ran BETTER with the old OEM NGKs ( one spark plug crapped out and was running on only 3 cyls ) than with four good Splitfires.

Products Discussed in this Thread