LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

The Truth About Spark Plugs....

Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #141
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs42 View Post
What do you think about E3 plugs ??
junk.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #142
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs42 View Post
What do you think about [OEM Jeep] E3 plugs ??
FIFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
junk.
Yup.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #143
garyods has a spectacular aura aboutgaryods has a spectacular aura about
Army: Huey Mechanic 357th direct support bat.  Hub City MD
garyods's Tacoma Gallery
They ARE less expensive!

Not the plugs themselves, but if you are using it as a daily driver and paying someone else to perform your service, the Platinum or Iridium plugs offer a much longer service life (3+ times longer) which means 1/3rd less labor (or personal time) to keep it running. Iím just about to have my Platinum plugs replaced after 110k (on the plugs - 190k on the clock) and itís still running fine, smooth and getting good MPG.

I like.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #144
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Off the assembly line, what do our trucks have..specifically, my 5 lug 2.7, and how often should I change them? Only just hit 19k.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #145
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Off the assembly line, what do our trucks have..specifically, my 5 lug 2.7, and how often should I change them? Only just hit 19k.
2.7l = iridium, 120k it's in your maintenance schedule and manual.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #146
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
2.7l = iridium, 120k it's in your maintenance schedule and manual.
Thank you Sir Wads..I've heard different things, so I figured where better to ask
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #147
talisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
talisker's Tacoma Gallery
Using a longer lasting plug most certainly DOES increase efficiency! If I don't need to replace plugs every 30k and can go a true modern distance, 100k as many manufacturers now suggest as maintenance intervals, who cares if the spark is greater? The plugs are more efficient because I don't have to mess with them all the time. I'm sorry but 30k intervals are standards from 1979.

You even state that it is a matter of wear on the electrode. If I can go three times longer on wear, I can go three times longer between changes. Tacoma suggests instead that I go through 3 sets of plugs by 90k. That is the true Bull as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thought you all should read this.

Another thing that wasnt mentioned, Electircity follows the path of least resistance. So, "E", "V", etc. plugs STILL are only going to generate 1 spark.

Recomended plugs:

First gen.

2RZ-FE & 3RZ-FE engines:

Denso K16R-U11

NGK BKR5EYA-U

Gap .043"

5VZ-FE engine:

Denso K16TR11

NGK BKR5EKB-11

Gap .043"

Second gens:

2TR-FE engine

Denso SK20HR11

NGK ILFR6C11

Gap .039" to .043"

1GR-FE engine

Denso K20HR-U11

NGK LFR6C-11

Gap .039" to .043"
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #148
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisker View Post
Using a longer lasting plug most certainly DOES increase efficiency! If I don't need to replace plugs every 30k and can go a true modern distance, 100k as many manufacturers now suggest as maintenance intervals, who cares if the spark is greater? The plugs are more efficient because I don't have to mess with them all the time. I'm sorry but 30k intervals are standards from 1979.

You even state that it is a matter of wear on the electrode. If I can go three times longer on wear, I can go three times longer between changes. Tacoma suggests instead that I go through 3 sets of plugs by 90k. That is the true Bull as far as I'm concerned.
True, but there can be problems with using non-OEM recommended plugs. I haven't looked into options for my truck yet, but some engines are more particular than others about this.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #149
talisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shedtalisker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
talisker's Tacoma Gallery
I think I posted my update in the wrong thread. To keep it short, last night I changed my left side plugs and found they were NGK's while the rights were not. I'm thinking my truck had the original factory plugs still in it at 100k! Toyota apparently assembles with different plugs in each side. I read that somewhere on tacomaworld. They were worn but not too bad. If this is the case, that is pretty awesome for a non-iridium plug!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #150
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
They did make then with different plugs on each side. Strange to me, but oh well. Most everyone that comes to my shop just asks to get NGK for their Toyota, no matter what is in them at the time. Never heard a single complaint from them since either.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #151
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisker View Post

Efficiency as in replacing, yes. Efficiency as in mileage, no. Also, as the plugs get higher and higher in mileage, will need to regap them to keep them in their most efficient range...
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #152
garyods's Tacoma Gallery
I don't agree - Efficiency as in mileage, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Efficiency as in replacing, yes. Efficiency as in mileage, no. Also, as the plugs get higher and higher in mileage, will need to regap them to keep them in their most efficient range...
I beg to differ with you. I put 110K on my last set of Platinum plugs with no problem and the mileage was consistent from mile 1 until I replaced them.

I donít make this statement based on my personal feelings or random tank mileage. I have a log (I maintain for both tax purposes and for personal history) in which I have recorded every fuel stop, oil changes and lubes, tire changes and all maintenance and parts since I picked it up new.

I donít pull plugs to adjust the gap, if Iím going to do the work to remove the plugs Iíll just put new ones back in.

I replaced the Platinum plugs with Iridium the last time, so Iíll see if they last as long as the old Platinum ones did.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #153
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyods View Post
I beg to differ with you. I put 110K on my last set of Platinum plugs with no problem and the mileage was consistent from mile 1 until I replaced them.

I donít make this statement based on my personal feelings or random tank mileage. I have a log (I maintain for both tax purposes and for personal history) in which I have recorded every fuel stop, oil changes and lubes, tire changes and all maintenance and parts since I picked it up new.

I donít pull plugs to adjust the gap, if Iím going to do the work to remove the plugs Iíll just put new ones back in.

I replaced the Platinum plugs with Iridium the last time, so Iíll see if they last as long as the old Platinum ones did.
As we all can. By efficiency, meaning an increase in mpg over the standard plugs - which is no. My mileage has been consistent with the use of normal plugs, too. But others will know more though.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #154
garyods's Tacoma Gallery
I apologize, I misunderstood

Quote:
As we all can. By efficiency, meaning an increase in mpg over the standard plugs - which is no. My mileage has been consistent with the use of normal plugs, too. But others will know more though.
I didn't notice a bump in mileage when I changed to Platinum, my mileage increased until I hit about 40k and then it has held steady (not at a little over 190k). It's been a great truck, I swear that I wipe more oil off the dipstick checking the oil level than it uses between changes.

Other than the HVAC fan resistor and rear springs it's been solid.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #155
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When using platinum or Iridium plugs you do not ever need to remove and re-gap them. The older copper tips would wear, requiring a re-gap, but the platinum or iridium ones do not wear like the copper tips did. I have seen thousands of platinum plugs at 100k that were still perfectly gapped.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
When using platinum or Iridium plugs you do not ever need to remove and re-gap them. The older copper tips would wear, requiring a re-gap, but the platinum or iridium ones do not wear like the copper tips did. I have seen thousands of platinum plugs at 100k that were still perfectly gapped.
Sidenote: Be very careful adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs. As long as the packaging is undamaged, I've had good luck with the plugs arriving gapped to spec.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #157
30coupe is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: S.O. and P.D. (retired)
Name: Russ
30coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking I should change the plugs in my new-to-me Tacoma, so I read this entire thread. It was both informative and entertaining. Obviously, I haven't changed the plugs on a Tacoma yet, so I was a bit concerned to hear it took an hour and a half for one poster to change them...and he didn't think that was bad! Hmmm, I've changed more spark plugs than I care to count, but the only time it took that long was on a V6 Corsica my wife had. I had to loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine forward to do the back three plugs on that crosswise, front wheel drive, little beast. Oh, and you couldn't actually SEE the plugs even then.

I certainly hope this won't be a similar experience. I also try to be economical (okay, I'm kind of a cheap bastard), so I did some tune-up math. O'Reilly Auto carries the NGK plugs for my 3.4 in both platinum and copper core. The coppers are $4.99 each. The platinums are $10.99 each. So, assuming a 30k mile change with the coppers, 90k miles would mean $89.82 worth of plugs. On the other hand, the platinums would theoretically last 100k miles and cost $65.94. Add to this the potential for 4.5 hours of labor versus 1.5 hours, and the platinums start to make sense to me, particularly if the performance is equal over the lifetime of either type of plug.

Does this sound about right?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #158
OneLife
garys05tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
garys05tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
plug replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post
I'm thinking I should change the plugs in my new-to-me Tacoma, so I read this entire thread. It was both informative and entertaining. Obviously, I haven't changed the plugs on a Tacoma yet, so I was a bit concerned to hear it took an hour and a half for one poster to change them...and he didn't think that was bad! Hmmm, I've changed more spark plugs than I care to count, but the only time it took that long was on a V6 Corsica my wife had. I had to loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine forward to do the back three plugs on that crosswise, front wheel drive, little beast. Oh, and you couldn't actually SEE the plugs even then.

I certainly hope this won't be a similar experience. I also try to be economical (okay, I'm kind of a cheap bastard), so I did some tune-up math. O'Reilly Auto carries the NGK plugs for my 3.4 in both platinum and copper core. The coppers are $4.99 each. The platinums are $10.99 each. So, assuming a 30k mile change with the coppers, 90k miles would mean $89.82 worth of plugs. On the other hand, the platinums would theoretically last 100k miles and cost $65.94. Add to this the potential for 4.5 hours of labor versus 1.5 hours, and the platinums start to make sense to me, particularly if the performance is equal over the lifetime of either type of plug.

Does this sound about right?

I used the NGK iridium plugs the 2nd time around. They are a 100k plug. Runs like new. About 25K on iridium plugs now. See my other posts for further detail. Why would I waste my time, money and inconvenience myself to have plugs replaced at 30K, ridiculous. Toyota dealers looking for your money!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #159
30coupe is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: S.O. and P.D. (retired)
Name: Russ
30coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
I used the NGK iridium plugs the 2nd time around. They are a 100k plug. Runs like new. About 25K on iridium plugs now. See my other posts for further detail. Why would I waste my time, money and inconvenience myself to have plugs replaced at 30K, ridiculous. Toyota dealers looking for your money!
Yeah, that's kind of my take on it too. They will be looking a long time to get my money though...service and maintenance happens in my garage!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
Since the Dawn of Time, two warring factions have ruled the Guild of Toyota Service Managers. The Evil Copper Plug Coven sucks the life force of their customers, and installs copper spark plugs at every turn. The Enlightened Iridium Service Angels install iridium spark plugs in every vehicle, as they are the true Guardians of all that is Good in this realm.

Toyota dealers looking for your gold! Beware the Copper Coven!

Or...

Dealerships install whatever parts Toyota specifies.

I'm going with the latter explanation.