Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

The Truth About Spark Plugs....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The Truth About Spark Plugs....

Thought you all should read this.

Quote:
I'd like to dispel a couple of automotive myths and in the process perhaps save you a few dollars. Expensive spark plugs do not increase your vehicles performance and power. Regular replacement does. While using a premium platinum plug will extend the service life of the plug, it will not in any way increase performance or power either.

The only realistic advantage of any premium platinum plug is a decrease in gap erosion. Gap erosion occurs when the spark burns away small bits of the electrode and ground contact during combustion. Over time a properly gapped plug will slightly increase it's gap but not generally enough to cause any problems if the plugs are replaced in accordance with the manufacturers suggested maintenance routine. So the extra dollars you pay for these kinds of plugs are truly wasted if you are a responsible vehicle owner who changes the plugs regularly like you should.

I know many of you have heard and seen advertisements from ignition component manufacturers claiming their "special" plug design increases spark duration or voltage which is absolute nonsense. I've personally tested over thirty brands of spark plugs in both new and used engines using both a Sun scope and a bear engine analyzer. Not one "premium" or "performance" plug showed any improvement in spark trace, voltage or duration of spark and several showed faults not present when using standard stock replacement parts.

One prime example is the fraudulent campaign of a company I won't mention claiming to increase performance by using a V shaped electrode which they say (And show in their advertisements) creates "two" sparks during combustion thereby causing an increase in combustion output and more complete combustion in the chamber. One word. BULL. Any professional worth his weight can tell you that once combustion has begun, that's it. Everything else affecting combustion will be determined by the engines compression, timing and fuel mixture. You can't ignite the fuel mixture twice. Once it explodes, it's spent. So even if there was a second spark it would be attempting to ignite inert gases that no longer contained any combustible fuel, or, in the event of an inefficient combustion chamber (Due to bad valves, rings or worn cylinder walls.)any remaining usable fuel mixture would be pushed out the exhaust valve during the exhaust stroke of the engine.

Here's another one. "Our plug has a higher voltage which increases the sparks efficiency." Bull. I've tested factory and aftermarket coils vs. "performance" ignition coils and the stock coils consistently produced higher and more sustained voltages than the supposedly performance ones every time. The voltage that is sent to the plug will be the only determining factor of spark voltage in an otherwise properly performing engine, meaning as long as the plug gap, vehicle electrical system and the rest of the ignition system components are working properly, there can be no increase in spark voltage no matter what kind of plug you are using. Problems in plug gap, coil integrity, plug wires and cylinder compression are the determining factors at play. Any of these could contribute to spark pooling though. This condition is usually due to increased voltage needed to jump an improperly gapped plug, improper cylinder compression or to overcome a badly grounded plug and adversely affects performance. Inefficient combustion or misfiring may result as well.

Keep your engine and your wallet happy by installing properly gapped, stock or quality replacement spark plugs at the required intervals. Having been in this business for more than ten years I will generally use either AC, Motorcraft or Bosche Super spark plugs depending on the application and what's available at my favorite parts house. In many cases these plugs are actually less expensive and generally more reliable than those "other guys" products.
Another thing that wasnt mentioned, Electircity follows the path of least resistance. So, "E", "V", etc. plugs STILL are only going to generate 1 spark.

Recomended plugs:

First gen.

2RZ-FE & 3RZ-FE engines:

Denso K16R-U11

NGK BKR5EYA-U

Gap .043"

5VZ-FE engine:

Denso K16TR11

NGK BKR5EKB-11

Gap .043"

Second gens:

2TR-FE engine

Denso SK20HR11

NGK ILFR6C11

Gap .039" to .043"

1GR-FE engine

Denso K20HR-U11

NGK LFR6C-11

Gap .039" to .043"
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you find this?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Having been in this business for more than ten years I will generally use either AC, Motorcraft or Bosche Super spark plugs depending on the application and what's available at my favorite parts house. In many cases these plugs are actually less expensive and generally more reliable than those "other guys" products
I agree with everything except
Hmmm I dont know about this. He is recommending AC, Motorcraft as more reliable then "other guys" ?

AC Delco and Motorcraft are $hietest spark plugs person can buy. And I mean if there was award for crappiest quality spark plug those two would probably get it every year. Thats my experience with them.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Hmmm I dont know about this He is recommending AC, Motorcraft as more reliable then "other guys" ?

AC Delco and Motorcraft are $hietest spark plugs person can buy. And I mean if there was award for crappiest quality spark plug those two would probably get it every year. Thats my experience with them.
What specific issues have you had with them relative to other brands?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I agree with everything except
Hmmm I dont know about this. He is recommending AC, Motorcraft as more reliable then "other guys" ?

Im sure its his opinion for his application. I doubt he is recomending them for Toyotas.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I put the toyota platinum ones in mine and the damn thing is skipping now. Should have just gotten the cheapo $13 originals..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Good info!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I put the toyota platinum ones in mine and the damn thing is skipping now. Should have just gotten the cheapo $13 originals..
What was the gaps? Did you make sure the coil packs were installed securly?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
It doesnt matter how many reviews and data there is, people still wont believe it. Just about everyone on TW says you MUST use the dual electrode plugs or your tacoma will get 2mpg and may possibly explode. BS

I bought the NGK copper plugs that were on sale. Work great, no mileage or performance issues whatsoever.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It doesnt matter how many reviews and data there is, people still wont believe it. Just about everyone on TW says you MUST use the dual electrode plugs or your tacoma will get 2mpg and may possibly explode. BS

I bought the NGK copper plugs that were on sale. Work great, no mileage or performance issues whatsoever.
For the first gens, the ignition is designed to be used with the dual electrode plugs. Best performance is achieved with these. Some have had issues useing single electrode plugs, while some havent.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What was the gaps? Did you make sure the coil packs were installed securly?
Going to pull them and check the gap. Coil packs were on good. Got me???? It didn't start till I put them in.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Going to pull them and check the gap. Coil packs were on good. Got me???? It didn't start till I put them in.
may have a bad plug. Worst case, Swap in the OEM Denso's
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Is this an attempted pre-emptive strike on all the retarded spark plug threads that haven't yet been (but inevitabely will be) posted?

No offense meant to the retards.

Oh, while I am at, should I change my synthetic oil every 3,000 miles?

OK, on a more serious and constructive note, since this is a sticky, you may consider adding the stock spark plug models/numbers for all the Tacoma engines, since I imagine you can proabably do it off the top of your head in about 2 seconds.

That is, if you aren't too busy or something, like chasing off OZ or deleting "I am asshurt and sicking my lawyers on TW" threads. Or making virtual sammiches. Sir.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Is this an attempted pre-emptive strike on all the retarded spark plug threads that haven't yet been (but inevitabely will be) posted?

No offense meant to the retards.

Oh, while I am at, should I change my synthetic oil every 3,000 miles?

OK, on a more serious and constructive note, since this is a sticky, you may consider adding the stock spark plug models/numbers for all the Tacoma engines, since I imagine you can proabably do it off the top of your head in about 2 seconds.

That is, if you aren't too busy or something, like chasing off OZ or deleting "I am asshurt and sicking my lawyers on TW" threads. Or making virtual sammiches. Sir.
I might, But all that info is in everyones owners manual.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
I like the plugs that are $30 each with diamonds and gold and titanium to make them lighter weight for better weight saving performance, higher HPs (whatever those are) and more MPGs (like a Prius!).

JK. I get 6 stock NGKs from the dealership and they work flawlessly!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I might, But all that info is in everyones owners manual.
Yes, but there are lots of first genners who buy used trucks that didn't come with the OM (because I have responded the same way to similar questions, from octane to grease type to capacities).

Just a thought. I won't even mention "search." That's just too hard.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Montani Semper Liberi
Lord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Micron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dorsey
Lord Micron's Tacoma Gallery
Good read, which pretty much covers common sense!

Though something of note that I've dug into since I'm in need of a plug change soon:

Enerpulse, makers of Pulstar, who proclaim everywhere they're Made in the USA may have been made in New Mexico at one point... now they've just dropped the "New" and have Autolite make them south of the border. Their proclaimed Sandia National Laboratories collaboration has yet to be quantified... They claim it was spurned from Z-Machine research, which Sandia's site says nothing of their collaboration -- And everything they try to make claims of falls directly in the snake oil category.

Products Discussed in this Thread