Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil leak from front crankshaft oil seal?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Oil leak from front crankshaft oil seal?

I have about 95,500 km on my access cab 4.0L V6. At the last oil change (~92,000 km) I noticed some oil coating the area under my crankshaft pulley.

Seems to be leaking (a small leak I'm thinking) from the area around the front crankshaft oil seal. I cleaned up what I could get to and monitored it over the past couple of weeks, and more oil seems to have leaked.

Dipstick shows oil level between acceptable limits. Leak is not enough to form a drip (yet).

Has anyone ever experienced this on a 2nd Gen V6? I read about some 2TR-FE engines with the same problem, but not the 1GR-FE.

I have extended warranty which will hopefully cover the cost of repairs, but can this be done with ease? Like on the driveway at home with air tools and a pulley holder? Just curious of the work involved.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
If the extended warranty will cover it, that's the way I'd go unless the deductible is too high (if there is one). Otherwise, it should be a pretty simple fix with air tools and the seal itself.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
If the extended warranty will cover it, that's the way I'd go unless the deductible is too high (if there is one). Otherwise, it should be a pretty simple fix with air tools and the seal itself.
Thanks... I plan to use the warranty. Appointment (to inspect) is booked for next Thursday, after my trip to Tennessee.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Update:

Truck is in at the dealership for replacement of the........ wait for it... crankshaft oil seal. Factory warranty will cover the cost of parts and labour.

BTW, the trip to Tennessee was AWESOME! The drive alone was cool, let alone the Gatlinburg/Nashville/Lynchburg experiences. Some pretty country you KY/TN folks have, and everyone we met was so hospitable.