Notices

30K Service, manual trans/diff - Questions

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
30K Service, manual trans/diff - Questions

Hi All,

I'm about to perform my 30K service on my 2.7L 4X4 and have a few questions and need advice:

1) Are you using the same gear oil for your differentials, and manual transmission?

2) Any good manual transmission "how to" threads? I know it's pretty straight forward but I always feel more comfortable when I see a detailed thread.

3) The LSD additive only goes in the rear diff?

4) The dealer originally used synthetic in my manual trans and diff so I'm assuming I should stick with synthetic gear oil.

Thanks for your guys help. I want to continue my streak with only using "my hands" on my truck (other than tires and inspection of course).
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Search function is the bees knees.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...intenance.html
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The owners manual tells you what oil to use. I used Mobil 1 75W-90 for the front diff, transfer case and rear diff. No friction modifier needed for all 09 and up Tacomas. Not sure what most use for the manual tranny but yes the change is super easy.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of the new gear oil comes with the LSD additive. If it already comes with the additive and you add more then your LSD may not work properly. It wont hurt anyting but it will slip more than it should.
I also think the manual states to use 80w-90 but it is harder to come-by. 75W-90 will be fine.
Another issue that may present itself is clunky shifting if you use a LS gear oil in your tranny becasue the syncros will not work properly with the friction modifiers. Some people have issues others dont.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
V-6 4wd w/ E-Locker

Fluid levels should be verified in your owners manual, here is what is stated for my V-6 6MT w/ E-Locker. I have used Redline for my drive-train since 2003...in a bunch of different rigs. I like their oil's. What you use is your call, just be aware if you don't use "Toyota" fluids you might have a tough time getting your power train warrantied. As for how to's...since your doing some DIY work get into the search feature. There are some really good write ups with pics to help you thru the process.

DIY 30k

F diff - 1.59 qt 75w-85 gl-5
R diff w/ e-locker - 3.12
t/c - 1.1 qt 75w-90 gl-4 or gl-5
6MT trans - 1.9 qt 75w-90 gl-4

Transmission Fluid I like: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
Ran MT-90 in my Evo RS, and Lotus...it's really good stuff in my opinion, especially when dealing with notchy shifting.

Transfer Case: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

So diffs....well on my rear diff I will use stock fluid until I re-gear. Why? Reported failures of e-locker diffs...so I have a leg to stand on when/if it does fail.

Front diff: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=40&pcid=4
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for all of your input thus far. Much appreciated. Yeah I agree that the search feature is great. I guess I need to be a little more patient while searching. I don't always find the info that I'm looking for right away. Need to work with key words better.

-D
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
No you just have to pilfer thru the bs threads.