Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
SC Member
sdupp is on a distinguished road

sdupp's Tacoma Gallery
Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

2007 Double cab PreRunner Automatic Trans. with Limited Slip Differential. At 40k the LSD was making all kinds of scrubbing type sounds and slipping on dry pavement. The Dealer replaced the entire Differential inside the pumpkin and all was good for a while. Now at 55k the same thing is happening again. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Also do you think the Dealer could replace it with a regular Differential instead of the LSD. I really don’t want or need the LSD…..

Thanks! Stan
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
if anything ask for a locker, better to have it than need it later on down the road
Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
There you go, pushing a non-Toyota product again!

(just kidding with you Larry)
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
SC Member
sdupp is on a distinguished road

sdupp's Tacoma Gallery
I assume a Locker is a Non LSD is this correct? The last time I had this problem the dealer changed the fluid and did not solve the problem so they replaced the differential. I am at the end of the power train warranty and I really don’t care that I paid extra for a LSD, I just want the problem to go away so it doesn’t cost me money when the warranty expires.

Thanks again for help
Much Appreciated!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
my 07 LSD was fine, bought 1 yr. ago with 98k and replaced with Mobil1 with LS additive and then noisy. Finally went with Redline and some extra LSD additive from Redline as well and seems good for a year now. Just slight groan when I first take off in a.m.

Definitely try a lube change first. Check thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-lube-13.html
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
A locker is a 'no slip' differential when activated.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
So I replaced my rear LSD fluid with motocraft synthetic 75W-90 which is an API GL-5 lubricant, the same kind that the LSD calls for. But now i'm getting like a strange groaning noise??
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
So I replaced my rear LSD fluid with motocraft synthetic 75W-90 which is an API GL-5 lubricant, the same kind that the LSD calls for. But now i'm getting like a strange groaning noise??
Did it have the LSD additive already in it or did you add a tube?? Some folks have found they have had some issues with synth fluids so you have to swap it again.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Did it have the LSD additive already in it or did you add a tube?? Some folks have found they have had some issues with synth fluids so you have to swap it again.
I've read the bottle over, I figured the fact it met the American Petroleum Institute (API) GL-5 standard it was already premixed and i was good to go.

I'm going to have to change it aren't i....
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
I think the GL designations cover more the type of actual gears (hypoid, sprial, etc) in relation to their loading/speeds.

There are gear oils out there that are GL4/5 w/ LSD additive in it or separate tubes of LSD additive. I used Lucas gear oil with a separate additive.
Check the bottle, then add the LSD additive if it's not there, then think about changing it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
I think the GL designations cover more the type of actual gears (hypoid, sprial, etc) in relation to their loading/speeds.

There are gear oils out there that are GL4/5 w/ LSD additive in it or separate tubes of LSD additive. I used Lucas gear oil with a separate additive.
Check the bottle, then add the LSD additive if it's not there, then think about changing it.
So the LSD additive, thats like a fluid? Gel? Will I have to drain some of the current fluids to put it in??
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
So the LSD additive, thats like a fluid? Gel? Will I have to drain some of the current fluids to put it in??
I think it was like a fluid...but I didn't really pay attention..It's a small tube (like 4ozs IIRC) so you shouldn't need to. Might get a little dribble out of the fill hole...but no big deal
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
I think it was like a fluid...but I didn't really pay attention..It's a small tube (like 4ozs IIRC) so you shouldn't need to. Might get a little dribble out of the fill hole...but no big deal

K k, I will try this first n let ya know, Thx brunes!