1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Effect of engine block heater on gas mileage

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MountainEarth, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I hear that MPG is worse before your truck warms up to normal operating temp. I live in a cold climate and frequently only make short 10 minute trips to & from (live & work in a small town). So I'm pretty much driving my truck cold much of the time.

My question is has anyone checked to see what an engine block heater does for winter gas mileage? Because theoretically, it should improve it .. especially if you do a lot of cold start short trips like I do.

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I wouldn't look at it from the mpg angle. Short trips allow nasty stuff to stay in your oil. The heater would allow those nasties to be burned off earlier. Sure, you'll get better mpg on startup and less startup wear, but block heaters chew up lots of electricity. Put the heater on a timer.
    A battery maintainer would be a good idea. Short trips don't recharge the battery, especially with the blower and defroster blasting. The maintainer will make your alternator and battery last longer.

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
  4. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    I put in the stock block heater for the v6 this winter and am very happy with it. Very easy to install, cost about $35 from the dealer, and at 400w doesn't drain that much electricity. I would turn it on about 2-3 hour before driving, when the temp was 15 degrees or colder outside. Truck started like it was summer time even at -20 temps, got warmer inside much faster, and I believe that it helped my MPG. It made me feel better about starting my truck when it was below zero as well, way less wear and tear at startup IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top