LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

14.5 mpg when i drive like a grandma!? wth..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I get 14.5 in the city very short trips. highway, I avg about 21.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
A tonneau cover will help.
iirc its been proven it doesnt
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #23
396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BMC  -  Retired USNR
396tears's Tacoma Gallery
i'm confused

op says maybe it has to do with the dealer starting the truck with no oil in it during a servicing

however

he states the bad mileage has been happening for the last year

the posting about the oil change was also this month

?????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #24
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Drive it harder and see what happens
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #25
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396tears View Post
i'm confused

op says maybe it has to do with the dealer starting the truck with no oil in it during a servicing

however

Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #26
Tacomatrd2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jimmy
Tacomatrd2010's Tacoma Gallery
ya im only at like 5-7k
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #27

auto
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396tears View Post
i'm confused

however

ya your right, guess it wouldnt be from that. just thinking outloud..
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #29
pontastic1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pon
pontastic1's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I got me an ultraguage to monitor my driving habit.....

I commute to work on a windy hill road at about 45-50mph and I avg 19.5mpg, when i drive on a freeway doing 60-65 I get 24mpg!! I was super stoke....i thought it was boogus but I compared my actual mileage and fill-up to the ultragauge.....

oh and my truck is bone stock V6 DCLB Auto
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #30
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
How are you measuring your mpg? And I've notice for me anything past 65 will hurt my mpg.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
pontastic1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pon
pontastic1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
How are you measuring your mpg? And I've notice for me anything past 65 will hurt my mpg.
I zero my trip mileage on a full tank, and drive normally to work or the bay area at the speed mention....i avoid goin over 65mph, i let my foot off the gas when I'm going downhill...i also pay attention to the ultraguage, the reading is pretty close to my actual calculation.....
Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #32
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Rumor has it that a new treatment for Grandma's arthritis is replacing the biological foot with a lead foot.

In more seriousness, I'm doubtful of the 'driving like a grandma' when you are going at least 75MPH. Bring a camera into your truck, set it to video record your driving habits. Upload it and prove that you truly drove like a grandma and got bad mileage. Until then, you can continue driving it like you stole it and wondering why your mileage is suffering...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontastic1 View Post
I zero my trip mileage on a full tank, and drive normally to work or the bay area at the speed mention....i avoid goin over 65mph, i let my foot off the gas when I'm going downhill...i also pay attention to the ultraguage, the reading is pretty close to my actual calculation.....
Lol I didn't mean you I meant the op. My bad
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
Rumor has it that a new treatment for Grandma's arthritis is replacing the biological foot with a lead foot.

In more seriousness, I'm doubtful of the 'driving like a grandma' when you are going at least 75MPH. Bring a camera into your truck, set it to video record your driving habits. Upload it and prove that you truly drove like a grandma and got bad mileage. Until then, you can continue driving it like you stole it and wondering why your mileage is suffering...
so driving the speed limit is driving like i stole it...? i dont need to prove shit to you man, it is what it is . why would would i just make sum shit up..?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #35

i have a snap shot device pluged into my truck for my auto insurance and it records all of my driving habits...i can also log in and veiw my speeds and braking ect.. it took 38$ off my monthly insurance bill do to good driving so..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #36
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
Thats crazy! My new 2011 TRD OR couldn't get that bad of mileage unless I constantly had it on the floor.

I've actually gotten 23MPG at 70MPH. I average 19-20 though. The worse I've gotten is 17, and that was 70MPH against a constant 20MPH head wind.

See about replacing your MAF Sensor. When I cleaned it in my 06 it made a huge improvement in my mileage... Maybe yours is defective.

MAF sensor?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Driving 55-60 on the highway is driving it like a grandma, 70-75 not so much. My truck hasn't seen 75 in a year and i can net up to 21 mpgs with summer gas. Op watch your shift points too. I cruise most roads going 48-50 just because thats the most efficient speed for my truck, right after it shifts into 4th (my highest gear).
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #38
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomatrd2010 View Post
so driving the speed limit is driving like i stole it...? i dont need to prove shit to you man, it is what it is . why would would i just make sum shit up..?

The factors affecting your mileage, namely wind resistance due to speed are working against you, because your truck's mileage takes hits at higher speeds. There are things you can do, but most will not pay themselves off if only used for mileage purposes. One thing many car companies do these days is install wind shields that at certain speeds close vents to increase AE, though these are engineered in the design process, so YMMV... literally.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
No worries OP..I get about a little over 13mpg..13.1x and I'm sure there are some that gets worse
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #40
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
MAF sensor?
mass air flow sensor

It helps the computer determine how much fuel to deliver to the engine.