Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

14.5 mpg when i drive like a grandma!? wth..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Tacomatrd2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jimmy
Tacomatrd2010's Tacoma Gallery
14.5 mpg when i drive like a grandma!? wth..

iv had my 2010 taco now for a year now and iv never got better than 14.5 mpg on the hwy driving 75mph, iv been using 91 octane fuel as well. the owners manual says to use 87 or better so dose using 91 have anything to do with it?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted? I just got 16.5 with bigger tires and I wasn't pleased.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomatrd2010 View Post
iv had my 2010 taco now for a year now and iv never got better than 14.5 mpg on the hwy driving 75mph, iv been using 91 octane fuel as well. the owners manual says to use 87 or better so dose using 91 have anything to do with it?
Drop it to 87 and see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no positive, but i think i read on here that it only helps by like .5 mpg. really doesnt effect it.

correct me if im wrong
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Drop it to 87 and see how it goes.
87 did some serious good for me. my last tank in town was 15.7! i was so happy
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

still 100% stock....
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Using my Scangauge I found that driving at 65 I got my best mileage!
2010 4.0 D-Cab Manual
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
still 100% stock....
if you were asking me... yep. i keep my rpm's below 2,000 and i hardly get on it. i wasnt happy with the gas mileage, when i first got it, but its getting alot better!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've had mine 3 months now and have averaged 18.5 for the most part. Got just over 19 the last 2 fill ups. I dont drive a lot of hwy either but do try to stay under 70 when I do. I drive fairly easy and run 87.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't sound right at all. Here on the Front Range, I fill up with regular (85 octane this side of the divide). Dealer told me 85 was just fine because of the altitude. I've added a shell, light bar with a couple PIAAs and BFG All Terrains in stock size (265/70R16) .. a more agressive tread and heavier than the stock Rugged Trails. Also probably have 100lbs of gear in the truck at all times, and I'm seeing better than 18 mixed driving in a 2010 Access Cab automatic .. not that different from your DC. And I'm at 8650 feet.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Apricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Lcpl, 3/8 & 3rd FAST
Name: Henry
Apricotshot's Tacoma Gallery
I've been averaging 19.5 for the past few weeks I have had the truck. 70MPH and do not accelarate super fast. 61 miles a day mostly hwy. Bone stock dbl cab V6. I put a tonneau cover on it last week. Dont know if that will help though.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #12

Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
maybe check your air filter also.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricotshot View Post
I've been averaging 19.5 for the past few weeks I have had the truck. 70MPH and do not accelarate super fast. 61 miles a day mostly hwy. Bone stock dbl cab V6. I put a tonneau cover on it last week. Dont know if that will help though.
A tonneau cover will help.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
are your trips very short?

Short trips KILLS your mileage. When going to the restaurant near the job, sometimes I get as low as 10MPG on the average of the short trip.

Also, keep the HWY speed down to 65 for maximum gains
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #15

maybe it has too do with the tech at the dealer starting it with no oil in it!..? i drive around 200 miles round trip a day too work and 90% of its hwy. guess all try 87 octane 2morrow and see how that works.. i know driving slower would help but that is just not an option
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #16

air filter is clean
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Might be your altitude.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Might be your altitude.
I would guess I'm higher up than the OP (8650 feet). Also I drive a ton of short trips. Still above 18mpg with just over 6100 total miles on the odometer. I definitely drive like a grandma though. Have an Ultra Gauge that I pay great attention to.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thats crazy! My new 2011 TRD OR couldn't get that bad of mileage unless I constantly had it on the floor.

I've actually gotten 23MPG at 70MPH. I average 19-20 though. The worse I've gotten is 17, and that was 70MPH against a constant 20MPH head wind.

See about replacing your MAF Sensor. When I cleaned it in my 06 it made a huge improvement in my mileage... Maybe yours is defective.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
spark plugs?