Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Check Engine Light Came on at 5K Miles

Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Rhody76 will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine Light Came on at 5K Miles

My truck just hit 5K miles and I noticed the check engine light is on. I had the first oil change done about a month ago at the dealer. Could it be to tell me its time to change the oil even though it already been done or is it probably something else?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody4343 View Post
Is it the check engine or service engine soon light
x2... Check Engine or Maintenance Required?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Did they reset the oil change reminder? Press the odometer button in and hold and turn on ignition, do not turn on engine. There will be 6 little bars and it will count down to zero and that means its reset.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
that or check your gas cap. those are the 2 things that first pop into my mind
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
nobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jonathan
nobody4343's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Did they reset the oil change reminder? Press the odometer button in and hold and turn on ignition, do not turn on engine. There will be 6 little bars and it will count down to zero and that means its reset.
X2
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Its the "maintenance required" light. I'm hoping is just the gas cap or oil change thing
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody76 View Post
Its the "maintenance required" light. I'm hoping is just the gas cap or oil change thing
They didn't reset your maintenace required light when you got you oil changed. It is set to go off at 5k intervals.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Reset it. On the 2011s select trip a with the key off. Then push and hold the button and turn the key too on. You will see dashes count down. When it flashes zeros let go and you are done.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
cool thats easy. hopefully thats all it is
Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Light Still Wont go Off

I tried the procedure to reset the maintainence required light but it wont go off. I select trip a with the ignition off then turn the ignition on but not starting the motor while holding the odometer button in. I never saw the bars counting down and the light did not go off. how long do i hold it in? Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I tried the procedure to reset the maintainence required light but it wont go off. I select trip a with the ignition off then turn the ignition on but not starting the motor while holding the odometer button in. I never saw the bars counting down and the light did not go off. how long do i hold it in? Thanks
Try doing it from the odometer position instead of trip a.