Rear Brake Adjustment

Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
fs0002 is on a distinguished road
Name: Francis
fs0002's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Brake Adjustment

I have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4
on my old Tacoma I use to adjust the rear brakes by pulling a rubber plug
from the rear of the drum and then took a screw driver clicking up the adjuster. Does the 2006 Tacoma have this rubber plug to remove for adjusting the brakes, I can't find one on either side.
Also are these rear shoes self adjusting? if so how do you do it?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say you'll get a better adjustment by doing it yourself. Self adjusting doesn't seem to work very well in my experience, although I may not be doing it right. They're like other drum brakes. Pop out the rubber plug and use a flat blade screwdriver to adjust the click wheel inside.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
The plug is on the top of the backing plate, as opposed to most others that have it on the bottom of the plate. But what I've used to get mine adjusted is the parking brake. "Supposedly" just backing up should cause the self-adjusters to kick in, but it doesn't seem to work that way on mine. I back into parking spots and my garage all the time, but at 15K, an adjustment was definitely evident (more weight transfer forward when coming to a stop).

I find a reasonably empty parking lot, then get moving a few mph, and SLOWLY apply the parking brake. Did this a few times and braking was much better. Note that you should apply the parking brake slowly as, on mine anyway, it was very touchy between slowing it down and locking up the rear wheels. Amazing how loud and attention-getting a set of locked up rear wheels in a parking garage is ....

I'm not sure if just cycling the parking brake while stopped would have the same effect, or if motion is required. I might try cycling it next time.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
fs0002 is on a distinguished road
Name: Francis
fs0002's Tacoma Gallery
I got the rubber plugs off but could not find the correct position to sit the screwdriver on the spindle to click up. just felt like a empty hole on both wheels, is there a trick where to place the flat head screwdriver in to get it to adjust?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
That is something I would liek to do as well. I feel that the rear brakes need adjusting on my truck too. I am just not sure of how to do this?? I will try the parking brake thing though.