Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Anyone ever converted to propane??

Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever converted to propane??

I have been reading how easy it is to convert a gasoline dependent vehicle to propane. seems like a very good alternative to gasoline, cheaper to run and better for the environment. Why arent more people exploiting this avenue??
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Azjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to behold
Marines: 4th force recon.
Name: John
Azjohn's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The propane tanks are extremely explosive if you crashed.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
X2000000
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Cause you get sweet fuck all for power, you can't park underground and it's a major hazard in an accident.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I know some commercial vehicles do run on propane.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Up in canada theres no point, propane starts to gel in wintertime, gets so cold. Every year we have that issue with propane fired forklifts at work. You end up getting about 1/4 usage out of a full tank that you'd get in the summer time.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I havent converted a fuel injected vehicle to propane, but my Chevy C10 ran it. Never had a real issue, but it didnt have near the power of gasoline, and didnt seem that much cheaper to run. I eventually pulled the propane set up off, and now just run gas.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I havent converted a fuel injected vehicle to propane, but my Chevy C10 ran it. ...
Seriously doubt it's easily or cheaply done to convert modern fuel injected, closed-loop managed engines with catalytic converters to propane.

As I recall, one of the major advantages of propane conversions in the 70's and 80's is those that could switch from gas to propane and back. Get the power of gas or cruising range when you needed it, or if you can't find LPG to fill up.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
800 HP 1000lb-ft AMG Mercedes
"Emissions from CNG vehicles tend to be 80% lower than comparable gas-powered vehicles and Borras hinted the Benz might qualify as an ultra-low emissions vehicle. Could you imagine an SULEV on this sucker?"
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
Seriously doubt it's easily or cheaply done to convert modern fuel injected, closed-loop managed engines with catalytic converters to propane.

As I recall, one of the major advantages of propane conversions in the 70's and 80's is those that could switch from gas to propane and back. Get the power of gas or cruising range when you needed it, or if you can't find LPG to fill up.
Thats exactly how my set up was. I could switch at any time.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post

This is not true at all. Propane and propane tanks are extremely safe, even in a crash, even when the tank, ruptures, and even if it leaks. This is real life not the movies.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
This is not true at all. Propane and propane tanks are extremely safe, even in a crash, even when the tank, ruptures, and even if it leaks. This is real life not the movies.
EXCEPT... LPG is heavier than air. So it pools in low spots around a leaking cylinder posing a hazard at a crash scene if there is no wind to dissipate the vapors.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
Id rather not have to find a hardware store to fill my truck. I love alternatives to gas but not for a daily driver at this point. Besides Deisel
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnTruk View Post
Id rather not have to find a hardware store to fill my truck. I love alternatives to gas but not for a daily driver at this point. Besides Deisel
A hardware store probably wouldn't - shouldn't - refuel a vehicle since there's no road-use taxes on that propane.

Most larger cities have propane fueling stations to refuel city buses and other vehicles that run on it.

When I lived in Oklahoma, farm tractors operated on LPG and you could get it almost everywhere. I think it was really popular 'cause farmers could get it free from the wells on their right-of-ways, compress it at the farm and use it. Things have changed a lot since those days!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnTruk View Post
You guys don't sell vehicle propane at gas stations ?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
EXCEPT... LPG is heavier than air. So it pools in low spots around a leaking cylinder posing a hazard at a crash scene if there is no wind to dissipate the vapors.
this is true
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking about converting to propane but i just decided to buy a zamboni and now i rip around town in that
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantac09 View Post
i was thinking about converting to propane but i just decided to buy a zamboni and now i rip around town in that
Sweet
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
Cerviperus is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Cerviperus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantac09 View Post
Pics, or it didn't happen!