LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

unconventional mpg increases

Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul;[URL="tel:3181470"
3181470[/URL]]acetone only works to increase mpg when using non ethanol treated gasoline. This used to work but now almost all gas has ethanol in it.

coating(or making from scratch) the entire engine and exhaust system with ceramics and using hydrogen as fuel is the wave of the future for cars.. a little electricity and water will create good burning gas(hydrogen). We just need to have some better batteries that are not heavy and last forever before hydrogen takes off. the cost of water (potable water)when this happens will be extreme no doubt..
Doubtful. Hydrogen has many problems beyond making it. First, there's no way you're going to generate enough hydrogen using the car's electrical system. The power required to create enough hydrogen is much greater than the car will ever be able to generate. You'll use much more power than you would if you just ran the car off a battery instead. It'd be more feasible to make it an electric car than a hydrogen one.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-03-12/
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #22
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Doubtful. Hydrogen has many problems beyond making it. First, there's no way you're going to generate enough hydrogen using the car's electrical system. The power required to create enough hydrogen is much greater than the car will ever be able to generate. You'll use much more power than you would if you just ran the car off a battery instead. It'd be more feasible to make it an electric car than a hydrogen one.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-03-12/

With the right technology it is possible to utilize hydrogen in our vehicles,homes,workplaces, basically anywhere we need power. A Japanese company came out with a water car a few years ago , check " genepax water powered car " at youtube. It is an electrical/ hydrogen design with an on board generator.

when we develop really good batteries it may be best to just do an all electrical set up ( Tesla roadster )but adding hydrogen to the mix will be added performance.

putting hydrogen in underground tanks at gas stations that need to be constantly filled up like gasoline is not going to happen, that whole delivery system /infrastructure will have to collapse. On board generators like the genepax design will most likely be the best way to do it...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #23
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post
With the right technology it is possible to utilize hydrogen in our vehicles,homes,workplaces, basically anywhere we need power. A Japanese company came out with a water car a few years ago , check " genepax water powered car " at youtube. It is an electrical/ hydrogen design with an on board generator.

when we develop really good batteries it may be best to just do an all electrical set up ( Tesla roadster )but adding hydrogen to the mix will be added performance.

putting hydrogen in underground tanks at gas stations that need to be constantly filled up like gasoline is not going to happen, that whole delivery system /infrastructure will have to collapse. On board generators like the genepax design will most likely be the best way to do it...
The Genepax car is a fraud:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-f..._Energy_System

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ileage/4271579
Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #24
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
As far as shutting down the refrigeration compressor during the winter months; not the worst idea, but the compressor does need to be run once and a while "to protect the compressor shaft seal." What typically has happened in the past, is that if the compressor hasn't be run for long periods of time, the shaft seal doesn't receive lubrication, and eventually starts leaking out freon. Then when the system is out of freon, it could seez up due to possible moisture intake, but most likely the high and low cut out pressure switches will keep the compressor clutch from kicking in and running the system at all, or it will kick in and out quite rapidly.

P.S. - Someone on the sight, helped me repair my temperature and directional read out (solder problem), and for that I am very greatful. Thank You!
gona finally run mine today..for the first time in 6 months I'll let you know if it doesn't run! Otherwise, i save money every day..beat that!! That's what the OP wanted and was outside the box. Everyother idea was BS snake oil. I get 19-20 mpg with 3 inch lift and 285 ATs with corn 87 gas. I only use the AC a handfull of days a year anyways..about ready to pull the whole thing out and get rid of the parasitic drag on the belt.

Hot air intake is on the way this winter. Pull air from the header area.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
changing rear diff gears

So I'm running a v6 automatic and and I noticed that my truck cant really tell whether or not it needs to stay in OD or not. I was currious what it would do for me if I changed out my rear diff gears with the v6 manual gears since they're dfferent. Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
gona finally run mine today..for the first time in 6 months I'll let you know if it doesn't run! Otherwise, i save money every day..beat that!! That's what the OP wanted and was outside the box. Everyother idea was BS snake oil. I get 19-20 mpg with 3 inch lift and 285 ATs with corn 87 gas. I only use the AC a handfull of days a year anyways..about ready to pull the whole thing out and get rid of the parasitic drag on the belt.

Hot air intake is on the way this winter. Pull air from the header area.

Used the AC last September if I was lucky and she popped right off yesteday (5/24)...so money in the bank not running the condenser with the knob in the defrost setting. I only let it run a minute cause its still only in the fricken 60s here...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Its a sealed system, the oil is in it and isn't going anywhere, it won't seize.
You are wrong in several ways.

1.) It is not a sealed system because a, it has hose fittings for gauges, and b, it utilizes partially rubber line set which leaks naturally, which is why it is common to have to recharge your A/C every few years.

2.) The oil is mixed in the refrigerant. Refrigerant is greatly effected by the temperatures of ambient air. If you are driving without your A/C on, your refrigerant is going to migrate to the evaporator (cooling coil) inside the cabin of the truck, because it is cooler and the pressure there is going to be less than the high temperature condenser or compressor inside the engine compartment.

3.) When the refrigerant migrates and stacks in the evaporator, it's bringing all of the system oil with it.

4.) It can seize.