Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

unconventional mpg increases

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
unconventional mpg increases

I know all the conventional MPG increases that people use:

Changing driving habits,
Keeping your fluids changed,
cleaning the air sensors,

as well as some of the unconventional ones:

using a power conditioner in the cigarette lighter,
putting those magnet things on the fuel lines,

But what about other unconventional things like heating the fuel for example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiwW...&feature=feedf
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
AC by pass mod, shuts off the compressor when any Defrost setting is selected. Not sure that is possible in AZ during the summer, but here in WI its saved me some gas for sure..no need to run the compressor everytime the defrost is on. Give it a search its on here somewhere and very easy to do.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=ChewbacaTW;3094604]I know all the conventional MPG increases

putting those magnet things on the fuel lines,

/QUOTE]

This is witch craft.

My previous job was in Research and Development. We had a small one man show business approach us about their magnets which increase mileage up to %10, HP and lower emissions. Also improves your home furnace efficiency, softens your house tap water and the list goes on.

On testing we found 0% improvement to an engine. The best use for this damn magnet was on the oil filter

I tried to explain the science to him that nothing in a hydrocarbon mixture is magnetic (perhaps the very low amount of water which is polar). You may as well hold the magnet to a piece of wood and see what happens. However he was convinced that it alligned the molecules for more complete combustion....
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
You forgot, limited slip will improve your mileage
Using synthethic oils rated for fuel efficiency will improve MPG
Correct tires with correct tire pressure.
Speed and accessories mounted on the truck.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You forgot, limited slip will improve your mileage.

What?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
What we don't have we make.
Norcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
Norcan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
AC by pass mod, shuts off the compressor when any Defrost setting is selected. Not sure that is possible in AZ during the summer, but here in WI its saved me some gas for sure..no need to run the compressor everytime the defrost is on. Give it a search its on here somewhere and very easy to do.
It should be left stock. Unless you want to buy a new compressor. The A/C system is lubricated by oil in A/C system. If you don't run the system for let's say 6 months (Oct-April) the compressor may seize. It also helps dry the air in the cabin to clear your windows faster.

Not saying your wrong, but region you live in and replacement cost of the compressor should be considered. Toyota will not warrenty your compressor if it fails due to this mod. beware
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What?
Yeah me too. It won't though since you are just spinning more mass inside the diff but the difference probably isn't enough to do anything.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah me too. It won't though since you are just spinning more mass inside the diff but the difference probably isn't enough to do anything.
Correct. If anything, an LS diff eats a bit more fuel, as the friction plates require a little more power to turn when engaged.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Both above are pointless.
I figured they were just voodoo. I only meant to use them as examples. Like another one that I heard of that I'm positive would screw up your lines is adding acetone to your gas. Again only an example but I thought maybe someone might have heard of other stuff. I started this post, merely an academic discussion.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
finding a way to use the exhaust heat to heat-up the intake air temperature during low-power engine operations (example: highway driving.). This would result in better vaporisation of fuel which would produce a more efficient burn. Most don't know, but lot of your fuel economy losses during winter are due to bad fuel vaporisation and NOT ethanol (and other factors too...). Ethanol content will reduce energy density of fuel by less than 5%.

http://www.chevron.com/products/tips/fuel-school/
Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #11

good suggestion... my buddy and I were discussing something that some people do with vegetable oil for biodiesel. The vege oil is too viscous so they use a contraption that cycles the engine coolant around a section of the fuel line in order to make it flow better.

I was thinking that if you did something like that with a gasoline fuel line then it would heat the gas closer to the optimal burning temp of 350 degrees.

I was also wondering about whether or not you'd have to start fiddling with the fuel management in the computer. If you are sufficiently heating the intake and the fuel to achieve a better combustion wouldn't you have to decrease the pressure in order to keep from getting a mixture that's too rich?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
finding a way to use the exhaust heat to heat-up the intake air temperature during low-power engine operations (example: highway driving.). This would result in better vaporisation of fuel which would produce a more efficient burn. Most don't know, but lot of your fuel economy losses during winter are due to bad fuel vaporisation and NOT ethanol (and other factors too...). Ethanol content will reduce energy density of fuel by less than 5%.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/unburnt_fuel.htm

http://www.fuelsaving.info/atomisation.htm
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post

So what your saying is....If they only had a system of heating the throttle body, or part throttle combustion chamber operation....wait a min!!! I belive they do! The "EGR" and the Coolant lines which heat the TB....FWIW, Fuel econ loss in the winter months is due to colder, denser air, along with fuel with less specific energy.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Except that, as I mentioned, you would have to heat the AIR as well, otherwise the fuel stream will be instantly cooled.
Why would the fuel be instantly cooled? I mean I know that it will cool if the air it hits is cooler than the fuel temperature but the idea of heating the fuel is to increase the total input temperature of the system. It won't cool as much as it would if it weren't heated and that's the point.... to make it easier for the fuel to vaporize.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
ok guys thanks for the heads-up. That was just an idea I though would have been good in theory.

At least one person thought the same thing:

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/wai-test.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
So what your saying is....If they only had a system of heating the throttle body, or part throttle combustion chamber operation....wait a min!!! I belive they do! The "EGR" and the Coolant lines which heat the TB....FWIW, Fuel econ loss in the winter months is due to colder, denser air, along with fuel with less specific energy.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I save gas by asking my wife to get out and push
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
rose is on a distinguished road
rose's Tacoma Gallery
As far as shutting down the refrigeration compressor during the winter months; not the worst idea, but the compressor does need to be run once and a while "to protect the compressor shaft seal." What typically has happened in the past, is that if the compressor hasn't be run for long periods of time, the shaft seal doesn't receive lubrication, and eventually starts leaking out freon. Then when the system is out of freon, it could seez up due to possible moisture intake, but most likely the high and low cut out pressure switches will keep the compressor clutch from kicking in and running the system at all, or it will kick in and out quite rapidly.

P.S. - Someone on the sight, helped me repair my temperature and directional read out (solder problem), and for that I am very greatful. Thank You!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
brannman is on a distinguished road

brannman's Tacoma Gallery
i don't see why you need a "mod" to not use the AC. just push the button and it turns off....seems simple enough to me
Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #19
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a prius , go 50 , get skinnier tires, kick the trim n rear seats out, go live on a country road with no red lights , cut a leg off to save more weight , date anhorexics, and you still wont likely break 120 mpg drafting a semi , illegally.

Best way to save gas for me, bike to work, live closer to work for when you dont, I'm 4 miles.
Honsetly , we pick the life we want, it costs fuel , there is only so much room to complain. If you go 80 mph on a modded truck travelling 60+ miles each way, and your wife drives the suburban..... we chose that life Its only going to get worse in the coming years as far as cost of fuels go. Miracle mpg gains , sheesh, Iv'e seen em since the 70s, I'm sure they go back to the model T, theyre not there, if they were they'd be all over google an youtube, and we would ALL have them.

ps, there used to be motorcycle races for mph, I think the record was 500+mpg
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
acetone only works to increase mpg when using non ethanol treated gasoline. This used to work but now almost all gas has ethanol in it.

coating(or making from scratch) the entire engine and exhaust system with ceramics and using hydrogen as fuel is the wave of the future for cars.. a little electricity and water will create good burning gas(hydrogen). We just need to have some better batteries that are not heavy and last forever before hydrogen takes off. the cost of water (potable water)when this happens will be extreme no doubt..