Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Need an "always on" 12V.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
Need an "always on" 12V.

Hey everybody !

I need to install a 12V outlet in the cab that will always be powered, I don't have to worry about the battery, I'm gonna use it for a fridge that draws less than 1 amp and has built-in protection to prevent it from draining the battery.

I can only see two options for a power source without having to splice existing wires.

Option 1. I could use a add-a-circuit on the fuse box but I don't think any of those circuits are always on, except maybe for the "DR LCK" (door lock) one.

Option 2. To make room in the cab I will remove the ugly sub-woofer that Toyota put there. I know the sub-woofer in the cargo area of FJ Cruisers always have power, you just turn them on and off with switch in the dash, many guys took their 12V source on that wire for their mods. Does anyone know if it's the same in our Tacos ? Since my fridge will be behind the passenger's seat, it would be perfect to use use that wire instead of bringing one all around and in the fuse box.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock plug mod: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...b-sr5-12-volt/

If you need it in the back I would use a new plug directly wired to the battery.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
Hey everybody !

I need to install a 12V outlet in the cab that will always be powered...

I know the sub-woofer in the cargo area of FJ Cruisers always have power, you just turn them on and off with switch in the dash, many guys took their 12V source on that wire for their mods. Does anyone know if it's the same in our Tacos ?
On the subwoofer, the white/blue wire is 12 VDC always on. It's fed by the 30A Radio No. 2 fuse. The Brown wire is ground.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Good info.
I'm working on doing solar for camping. I will be using a fridge/freezer inside the cab and this sounds like a good way of powering it with existing wiring. Anyone know how I would use the existing wire/electrical and put it to a second battery under the hood instead of the stock battery?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used the wire from the sub to power something like a fridge?
OP any luck?
My goal would be to have this always on source of 12V powered by a 2nd battery under the hood. How would this be done? Seems finding that wire would be quite difficult.
Looks like I could easily bring that wire out the little hatch or from under the plastic cover.
Here are some pics from another thread about removing the sub/switching out the back seats for a pre-09
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-08-a-2.html