Notices

Warming up your Taco

View Poll Results: Warming the engine
Yes 51 49.51%
No 47 45.63%
I like my tacos cold 5 4.85%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #21
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
I don't think it matters. The oil is moving as soon as you turn that starter.
Of course it matters. I mean, in a sence that you wouldnt want to beat on your engine (or anything mechanical) while its completely cold.
Metal changes once its warmed. You dont ever want to redline your engine as soon as you start it or you stand the chance of causing damage. Just like race cars doing warm up and cool down laps.....gotta give all the moving parts a chance to either warm up or cool down.

Next time its 30* outside, start your truck and immediately stand on the throttle in 1st gear until it redlines. Do that for a season or two and see if you dont break something like a piston ring or valvetrain parts
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #22
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Redlining your engine when its cold and backing out of your drive way are two completely different things. Yea your engine is cold and when it heats up it will expand but its all aluminum and it all expands at the same rate! When it comes to redlining it, i bet it will do a lot less damage then you think. When you start your engine its still compressing air and burning it in the exact same 4 stroke 5 cycle procedure it does when your at redline. The only difference is its doing it faster. As long as the bearings, cylinder walls, and cams have the proper lube needed its not hurting anything. At least thats my opinion...
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #23
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
i let her wram up while im sitting in er putting on the belt finding a spitter from the back seat puttin in a chaw then picking my tunes of the mornin and waitin on the ol ball and chan to get her ass out the house
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #24
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatlin69 View Post
I have read articles saying that as long as you wait 30 seconds or so (to get the oil moving) you can drive off without any extra wear on the engine. I have also read that letting a engine warm actually shortens its life span. What do you think?
I wait just long enough to let the RPMs drop down to normal idle - 15-20 seconds, then go. Oil is already moving once it starts, my problem is not wanting to slam it into gear at a higher RPM. Over time it adds to the wear factor.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #25
chautk is on a distinguished road
Name: TK
chautk's Tacoma Gallery
In the owners manual for the 2nd gen. trucks it actually tells u not to warm it up...(yes i actually read the manual... )
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #26
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Its in drive before the starter finishes cranking!! Dont got time to be waitin on no Taco.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #27
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Soon as the idle goes down im off
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #28
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03taco View Post
i let her wram up while im sitting in er putting on the belt finding a spitter from the back seat puttin in a chaw then picking my tunes of the mornin and waitin on the ol ball and chan to get her ass out the house
thats funny
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #30
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
ha!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #32
911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed911tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Heavy Rescue, Paramedic
Name: Wendy
911tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how late I am running....usually bout 3 seconds.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #34
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i always warm up the engine around 30 seconds and im out
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #35
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
I always let my vehicles warm up for a minute or so before driving them in the morning.

Waking up in the morning is a good analogy to think about and compare it to. Don't you usually like a good minute or so to lay in bed after your alarm goes off? Normally you don't just jump out of bed right away. Same applies for your vehicle; let it build up a little oil pressure for 30 seconds to minute or so before you through it into gear and drive up the street.

Yeah, sure, wastes a little fuel and a lot of people say the vehicle will warm up quicker once you start driving which is true, but I like to think it's good just to allow a minute or so for the fluids to flow and ciculate bit before you drive it.

My $.02c
X2!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #36
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in an area with snow and salt, the frame is going to rot long before the engine fails. Don't worry about engine wear...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
I treat my taco like my bitch...those mornings when I have an awesome morning glory, I don't jus jump on that pie... a little bit of foreplay here na dthere...things get lubed and I get into gear and tear the shit apart.... so yeah...let her warm up a little
Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #38
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Bout the length of time it takes to smoke a cigarette, never drive off completely cold.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #39
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery

I searched I promise.