Warming up your Taco

View Poll Results: Warming the engine
Yes 51 49.51%
No 47 45.63%
I like my tacos cold 5 4.85%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery
Warming up your Taco

I have read articles saying that as long as you wait 30 seconds or so (to get the oil moving) you can drive off without any extra wear on the engine. I have also read that letting a engine warm actually shortens its life span. What do you think?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatlin69 View Post
I have read articles saying that as long as you wait 30 seconds or so (to get the oil moving) you can drive off without any extra wear on the engine. I have also read that letting a engine warm actually shortens its life span. What do you think?

x2
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
not sure but i always let it warm up for about 5 minutes before i drive off
Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
I've read with new engines it doesn't matter as long as you don't wot out of your driveway.

"As far as warming up an engine before driving away, that old nugget no longer applies because modern engines have better lubrication, tighter clearances and, in general, are more resistant to sludge formation." from http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4213313
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
as long as it takes to adjust the radio, put on my seatbelt and find a home for my coffecup. Unless it is relly cold then a minute or so.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
hockeyovs has a spectacular aura abouthockeyovs has a spectacular aura abouthockeyovs has a spectacular aura about
Name: Trevor
hockeyovs's Tacoma Gallery
when its -30 i let it warm up, but that might be for me more than the engine!!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Living in the Limelight
Red Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed Barchetta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
Red Barchetta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
as long as it takes to adjust the radio, put on my seatbelt and find a home for my coffecup. Unless it is relly cold then a minute or so.
2x
Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Pros and cons either way. Drive off to soon while the engine is warming up and running rich, you'll burn more gas for a short while. Let the engine warm up first and you burn gas going nowhere.

As far as wear on the engine, there is some expansion going on while it gets up to temperature so I simply take it real easy until I hit normal operating termperature. I definitely think there is potential for damage if you act foolishly but certainly not from driving normally while the engine is warming up.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
unless its really cold i just get in a go. sometimes im on my way down the drive way and my hand aint off the brake yet lol
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Warms up better if you just get in a drive...just keep the RPMs low and dont do any burnouts away from your house. Everything warms up more efficiently by simply driving it...engine tranny and rear.
I keep my RPMs below 3K until the thermostat gets things to normal running temps. I also try not to brake hard when those are cold....I also stretch in the gym before I bench press 600
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
I always let my vehicles warm up for a minute or so before driving them in the morning.

Waking up in the morning is a good analogy to think about and compare it to. Don't you usually like a good minute or so to lay in bed after your alarm goes off? Normally you don't just jump out of bed right away. Same applies for your vehicle; let it build up a little oil pressure for 30 seconds to minute or so before you through it into gear and drive up the street.

Yeah, sure, wastes a little fuel and a lot of people say the vehicle will warm up quicker once you start driving which is true, but I like to think it's good just to allow a minute or so for the fluids to flow and ciculate bit before you drive it.

My $.02c
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
I don't warm the engine, a little frostbite is a great stimulant in the morning!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
this has already been covered but i couldnt find the thread
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
I always let my vehicles warm up for a minute or so before driving them in the morning.

Waking up in the morning is a good analogy to think about and compare it to. Don't you usually like a good minute or so to lay in bed after your alarm goes off? Normally you don't just jump out of bed right away. Same applies for your vehicle; let it build up a little oil pressure for 30 seconds to minute or so before you through it into gear and drive up the street.

Yeah, sure, wastes a little fuel and a lot of people say the vehicle will warm up quicker once you start driving which is true, but I like to think it's good just to allow a minute or so for the fluids to flow and ciculate bit before you drive it.

My $.02c
But your engine still isnt warm/running temps in 30-60sec....and this thread is about warming it vs not warming it
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
only in the winter
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I give it about 10 seconds and then I'm off lol
Old 04-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it matters. The oil is moving as soon as you turn that starter. I say just get in a go, unless its cold out and you need to defrost...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
exactly what i was looking for
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
5 mins when its real cold out(remote start is awesome) and when it warm out, start er up and im off.