Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Dome light only comes on when map lights are turned on?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Dome light only comes on when map lights are turned on?

the other day my dome light stopped working. i just thought the bulb burnt out so i ordered on from super bright leds and i go to take the factory bulb out and the filament looks fine. so i put in my new led and get nothing. after messing around for a awhile i went to turn on my map lights so i can see, and to my surprise, the dome light lights up like a christmas tree. turn the map lights off and the dome light goes off. this is all with the doors open and the dome switch on "DOOR" but it's the same way when i switch it to "ON".

any ideas on what is going on??
Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
dome light also comes on when: map lights are turned off, door open, and key turned on in ignition.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy it. I have heard some members asking how to do that. Maybe you could do a write up on it! JK
Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Gremlins?
i looked and didnt see any
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is a problem with 1st gens...something about current sensing to feed enough power to the light. I was going to look into possibly putting a resistor up there of some sort, but ive just been too lazy to get a few different rating resistors...but once I find the right one, I'll do a write up.

If you get to it before I do, let me know! I'm pretty sure that's the problem. The stock bulbs need more current than the led strips.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #7

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHS2846bg8 View Post
I know this is a problem with 1st gens...something about current sensing to feed enough power to the light. I was going to look into possibly putting a resistor up there of some sort, but ive just been too lazy to get a few different rating resistors...but once I find the right one, I'll do a write up.

If you get to it before I do, let me know! I'm pretty sure that's the problem. The stock bulbs need more current than the led strips.
thanks for the info but im clueless when it come to electrical work. why would it work for 7 years then all of the sudden stop working?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
ah...I didn't see that the filament wasn't broken... The bulb may have worn out or there may be a short somewhere...but from what I'm assuming, the problem with the dome light only coming on when map lights are turned on is because the dome isn't pulling enough current to switch something on.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
bump, still haven't figured this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHS2846bg8 View Post
ah...I didn't see that the filament wasn't broken... The bulb may have worn out or there may be a short somewhere...but from what I'm assuming, the problem with the dome light only coming on when map lights are turned on is because the dome isn't pulling enough current to switch something on.
what would cause this and how could it be fixed?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
You probably have a bad ground connection on your dome light, the dome light and map light share the same 12V source, and the switches tie the other end of the bulb to ground.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d13.pdf
^ This.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
You could verify that the old bulb works by wrapping a bare wire around the base of it, touching the end to the positive terminal on your battery and the wire against the negative.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Your dome light is missing its ground, or is shorted to the map light.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You probably have a bad ground connection on your dome light, the dome light and map light share the same 12V source, and the switches tie the other end of the bulb to ground.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d13.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
^ This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Your dome light is missing its ground, or is shorted to the map light.

It's not a ground on 1st Gens when the key is turned off it's dims the dome light so if you install a LED it will not turn on unless you turn the key on. if you pulled that LED out right now and installed a filament bulb it would work just fine.

And yes the map and dome lights are on the same 12v source and that is why if you turn on the map lights your LED will turn on. Try and installing a LED in the map lights as well they will not turn on unless the key is on.

There is a way to fix it.
This is what I'm going to do is wire a #74 bulb inline with the dome and paint over it so no light is let out and the right amount of current is drawn and the LED's will light up. Ive seen it before and it works great. The only other way is rewire the dome light to a straight 12v source and they will work fine.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #14

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
finally got my dome light working again. not real sure what i did but it works. i took the map light completely apart and unplugged it. blew the fuse in the process by touching my screwdriver to a couple thing i wasnt supposed to. re-installed the map lights, threw in a new fuse and BAM, it works. so i guess it must have been a bad ground? if thats the case, wonder why it didnt start working the frist time i disassembled it? oh it works now. thanks for everyone input, it is appreciated
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=JLee;3259484]And yes the map and dome lights are on the same 12v source and that is why if you turn on the map lights your LED will turn on. Try and installing a LED in the map lights as well they will not turn on unless the key is on.[QUOTE]

I have LEDs in my map and dome light that only work when the key is on, will your "fix" still work for me? or is it best to just rewire the Dome to a constant 12v?

Quote:
Whoops, I keep assuming 2nd gens . I checked the schematic for the 1st gens and yes they are a little different. The power for the bulbs come out of the ECU, not a direct 12V source, so you may be losing enough voltage during the "dimming" period that the diode does not have enough voltage to become forward biased. I'd get a voltmeter and check the voltage across your LED.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiri...emci/023il.pdf

JLee your solution would also work, cut the black wire above and splice it into the blue/yellow wire, then you would have a constant 12V for the lights.
sorry I'm not following too well, which black wire?