Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Two shops could not fix my tacoma! HELP!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
david901 is on a distinguished road
david901's Tacoma Gallery
Two shops could not fix my tacoma! HELP!!!

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and two shops so far have not been able too fix it. I have not taken it too the dealer yet, but it looks like i might have too. There is a problem with the tps switch or something along those lines. The throttle only opens 20% when u push the petal all the way too the floor. The mechanic said from what the can tell both the sensors on the throttle body are working, but he can't find any info on what voltage the ECM should be sending to everything. I don't know if there is a sensor bad or if its the ECM itself also Toyota does not sell any parts for the throttle body they will only sell me a new one for 1,200. Any info on this would help before i take to the dealer ship. Its there a kit to get rid of the actuator and just use the tps sensor? Is there a place that i may be able to find some used parts for this thing? Thanks David
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, i'd say, start with anything you can do at home or at a friends with some basic tools that should be laying around.

Go here -> http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Find the manual for your truck. FSMs will generally have all the info needed with regard to testing voltages at sensors (what voltage you should see and what points to test at). These aren't Haynes or Chilton manuals. They're far more in-depth (usually) and may be a bit too technical for some.

If, by going through the manual, you still aren't able to diagnose/isolate the issue on your own, you may need to go to the stealership.

Also, check the regional section of the forums for your area. Someone nearby may be able to help out, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like good gas mileage to me