Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

"Ping" when shifting into reverse

Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
"Ping" when shifting into reverse

My my is my second gen developing an interesting set of noises lately.

About 500 miles ago I developed the famous brake pad clank. Loving that.

Most recent item is a "ping" when shifting into reverse. Doesn't matter where I shift from. Neutral to reverse or park to reverse, as soon as the tranny slots into reverse the ping is audible.

Sounds like it is coming from the tranny, but you know how it is when listening from the driver's seat.

I've read some items on other sites about driveshaft play being responsible for this when the driveshaft nuts don't seat completely on the transfer case output flange. I did recently install a Tom Woods driveshaft, so I'll be getting under the truck and re-checking TQ on all the bolts at both ends, and making sure the relieved area on the DS for bolt/nut seating isn't too small.

Other than that, any other ideas? Would prefer to have peace of mind that my tranny isn't about to shit.

Update 5/6/11:

Got under the truck today. Ping is definitely internal, inside the transfer case. I can reproduce it by grabbing the front drive shaft, rotating it one direction, and then forcefully, suddenly rotating it in the other direction. It sounds like it's just the front driveline taking up gear lash when switching direction of rotation.

There's about 1/8" of play in the front DS with rotation. Anyone know if this is about right for 2gen 4x4s? I'd hate for the T-case gearing to be loose already...this truck has just under 14k miles on it...albeit, the t-case has been doing serious work for about half of those...

Anyway, changed the t-case fluid while I was under there. The sound is still there but the volume was cut by about 60% after the change. t-case fluid was Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 with about 13k miles on it. Was replaced with the same. I'm thinking the lube may have just been done - the truck has seen a lot of creek crossings and hot-weather wheeling which may have broken the lube down surprisingly quickly. It looked about like I would expect though when drained - coloration was as expected, no debris.

I'm open to other input, but I'm thinking this may just be a one-off noise my truck is going to make. If the problem seems to worsen, I may knock open the t-case for a visual inspection. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Most often, That noise is caused from a U joint. Are you feeling any vibes when driving?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No, but I did notice (I bought this shaft used) that the front U-joint has no zerk. I may take it down to my local guy (who is a badass), have the shaft checked for balance, and have them press a new, greasable u-joint in up front.

I greased the rear u-joint and slip yoke before installing the shaft. The front UJ did not have a zerk. Might just be a done joint eh?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There was a thread about a guy having the same issue and it turned out to be the front output shaft on the T case. I can't search for it on my phone.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
No, but I did notice (I bought this shaft used) that the front U-joint has no zerk. I may take it down to my local guy (who is a badass), have the shaft checked for balance, and have them press a new, greasable u-joint in up front.

I greased the rear u-joint and slip yoke before installing the shaft. The front UJ did not have a zerk. Might just be a done joint eh?
Most every time I have had that noise, or heard it, a U joint was the culprit. FWIW, A "Ping" sound is indicative of an extrenal issue. A "Clunk", or muffled grind would be more indicative of a tranny internal issue.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There was a thread about a guy having the same issue and it turned out to be the front output shaft on the T case. I can't search for it on my phone.
I read about that. That was the nut-seating issue I mentioned in the first post. He just ended up shimming the output shaft and DS away from one another to take up the slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Most every time I have had that noise, or heard it, a U joint was the culprit. FWIW, A "Ping" sound is indicative of an extrenal issue. A "Clunk", or muffled grind would be more indicative of a tranny internal issue.
It's definitely not a clunk/grind. Very much a ping/clink/tink sound.

The other option I have for all this is to re-install my factory driveshaft. The original plan was to run the Tom Woods on the truck and keep the factory shaft as a spare. I can always do the opposite.

Only thing is, it's a much bigger PITA to pack a one-piece shaft for a wheelin' trip. The two-piece design makes the stock driveshafts easily packable.

Gonnat try and resolve this...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Update:

Got under the truck today. Ping is definitely internal, inside the transfer case. I can reproduce it by grabbing the front drive shaft, rotating it one direction, and then forcefully, suddenly rotating it in the other direction. It sounds like it's just the front driveline taking up gear lash when switching direction of rotation.

There's about 1/8" of play in the front DS with rotation. Anyone know if this is about right for 2gen 4x4s? I'd hate for the T-case gearing to be loose already...this truck has just under 14k miles on it...albeit, the t-case has been doing serious work for about half of those...

Anyway, changed the t-case fluid while I was under there. The sound is still there but the volume was cut by about 60% after the change. t-case fluid was Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 with about 13k miles on it. Was replaced with the same. I'm thinking the lube may have just been done - the truck has seen a lot of creek crossings and hot-weather wheeling which may have broken the lube down surprisingly quickly. It looked about like I would expect though when drained - coloration was as expected, no debris.

I'm open to other input, but I'm thinking this may just be a one-off noise my truck is going to make. If the problem seems to worsen, I may knock open the t-case for a visual inspection. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
This may turn out to be it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
This may turn out to be it.
Sucks man. What a pain in the ass.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #10

We'll see. It definitely appears front-driveshaft related.

I'm going to try and get some video for you guys and TTORA tomorrow and see what we can see.