1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Ping" when shifting into reverse

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jandrews, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    jandrews

jandrews [OP] Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    My my is my second gen developing an interesting set of noises lately.

About 500 miles ago I developed the famous brake pad clank. Loving that.

Most recent item is a "ping" when shifting into reverse. Doesn't matter where I shift from. Neutral to reverse or park to reverse, as soon as the tranny slots into reverse the ping is audible.

Sounds like it is coming from the tranny, but you know how it is when listening from the driver's seat.

I've read some items on other sites about driveshaft play being responsible for this when the driveshaft nuts don't seat completely on the transfer case output flange. I did recently install a Tom Woods driveshaft, so I'll be getting under the truck and re-checking TQ on all the bolts at both ends, and making sure the relieved area on the DS for bolt/nut seating isn't too small.

Other than that, any other ideas? Would prefer to have peace of mind that my tranny isn't about to shit.

Update 5/6/11:

Got under the truck today. Ping is definitely internal, inside the transfer case. I can reproduce it by grabbing the front drive shaft, rotating it one direction, and then forcefully, suddenly rotating it in the other direction. It sounds like it's just the front driveline taking up gear lash when switching direction of rotation.

There's about 1/8" of play in the front DS with rotation. Anyone know if this is about right for 2gen 4x4s? I'd hate for the T-case gearing to be loose already...this truck has just under 14k miles on it...albeit, the t-case has been doing serious work for about half of those...

Anyway, changed the t-case fluid while I was under there. The sound is still there but the volume was cut by about 60% after the change. t-case fluid was Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 with about 13k miles on it. Was replaced with the same. I'm thinking the lube may have just been done - the truck has seen a lot of creek crossings and hot-weather wheeling which may have broken the lube down surprisingly quickly. It looked about like I would expect though when drained - coloration was as expected, no debris.

I'm open to other input, but I'm thinking this may just be a one-off noise my truck is going to make. If the problem seems to worsen, I may knock open the t-case for a visual inspection. I'll keep everyone posted.

2. May 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most often, That noise is caused from a U joint. Are you feeling any vibes when driving?

3. May 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No, but I did notice (I bought this shaft used) that the front U-joint has no zerk. I may take it down to my local guy (who is a badass), have the shaft checked for balance, and have them press a new, greasable u-joint in up front.

I greased the rear u-joint and slip yoke before installing the shaft. The front UJ did not have a zerk. Might just be a done joint eh?

4. May 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most every time I have had that noise, or heard it, a U joint was the culprit. FWIW, A "Ping" sound is indicative of an extrenal issue. A "Clunk", or muffled grind would be more indicative of a tranny internal issue.

5. May 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I read about that. That was the nut-seating issue I mentioned in the first post. He just ended up shimming the output shaft and DS away from one another to take up the slack.

It's definitely not a clunk/grind. Very much a ping/clink/tink sound.

The other option I have for all this is to re-install my factory driveshaft. The original plan was to run the Tom Woods on the truck and keep the factory shaft as a spare. I can always do the opposite.

Only thing is, it's a much bigger PITA to pack a one-piece shaft for a wheelin' trip. The two-piece design makes the stock driveshafts easily packable.

Gonnat try and resolve this...

6. May 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Update:

Got under the truck today. Ping is definitely internal, inside the transfer case. I can reproduce it by grabbing the front drive shaft, rotating it one direction, and then forcefully, suddenly rotating it in the other direction. It sounds like it's just the front driveline taking up gear lash when switching direction of rotation.

There's about 1/8" of play in the front DS with rotation. Anyone know if this is about right for 2gen 4x4s? I'd hate for the T-case gearing to be loose already...this truck has just under 14k miles on it...albeit, the t-case has been doing serious work for about half of those...

Anyway, changed the t-case fluid while I was under there. The sound is still there but the volume was cut by about 60% after the change. t-case fluid was Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 with about 13k miles on it. Was replaced with the same. I'm thinking the lube may have just been done - the truck has seen a lot of creek crossings and hot-weather wheeling which may have broken the lube down surprisingly quickly. It looked about like I would expect though when drained - coloration was as expected, no debris.

I'm open to other input, but I'm thinking this may just be a one-off noise my truck is going to make. If the problem seems to worsen, I may knock open the t-case for a visual inspection. I'll keep everyone posted.

7. May 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    This may turn out to be it.

8. May 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    We'll see. It definitely appears front-driveshaft related.

I'm going to try and get some video for you guys and TTORA tomorrow and see what we can see.

Products Discussed in

To Top